Anyone think Orgeron can coach up Boykin/Harris... (1 Viewer)

Bak2ThaLab

draftaddict
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Ed Orgeron coach McKinley Boykin @ Mississippi??? My main question is, does anyone think Boykin or Orien Harris have any kind of ability to be a steady contributor in the DT rotation. Coach Orgeron is renowned for lighting a fire under lackluster players on the college level, do you think he can do the same with the guys we already have in place (also include Antwan Lake and Josh Cooper <-- another Miss connection)

I think so. That's his forte'. The hard thing about adjusting to pro's from college deals with the money aspect. At college coaches are able to micro-manage player's lives. A coach holds the future of the player's career in his hands --so to say.

In the NFL players have much more say in their own behalf. They can go out all night before a home game (that's part of my theory on why we suck at home), they can't be disciplined as much by yelling and brow-beating. They have MONEY and a CBA with strong protections in place against unfair treatment with the ability to appeal discplinary actions doled out by the team/coach;file greivances;etc. Plus- they have the FA market that can bail them out of a bad spot one day and be in another uni the very next day... no sitting out.

I hope he can do it and hope he quickly devises methods to transfer his skills as a coach to the changes involved with coaching pro's.

Last edited:
Talent has to be there to coach it up. I hope he can improve Grant and Smith and has the chance to get the best out of a guy like Ellis and/or Starks.

I don't see why not, why can't he make them "good depth" but we still gotta go after one of these DT's in the draft, I think the top 5 DT's available all can help us in the way we need, that is if Dorsey and Ellis slip by us....all will not be lost.

I remember Orien Harris as a highly touted prospect at Miami, until his stock slipped his senior season. Went to Pittsburgh in the 4th round, then Cleveland; was out of place in the 3-4. Got a look in Buffalo, briefly, but it never amounted to anything. He`s only played 2 years and has been in so many different systems; if we hang on to him, going into his 3rd year and playing under coach Orgeron, this guy could really flourish.

that's precisely my thinking...although i think we would do well to get Ellis, Sims, Pressley, or Rubin in the draft

Let's bring back Walter Thomas and let him coach him up!

I remember Orien Harris as a highly touted prospect at Miami, until his stock slipped his senior season. Went to Pittsburgh in the 4th round, then Cleveland; was out of place in the 3-4. Got a look in Buffalo, briefly, but it never amounted to anything. He`s only played 2 years and has been in so many different systems; if we hang on to him, going into his 3rd year and playing under coach Orgeron, this guy could really flourish.

Good point... I remember some early mock drafts from the year Orien Harris came out had him as a top 5 pick. You don't get rated that high unless you've got talent. Let's hope he puts it together.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom