Anyone thinking Chevis Jackson? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
If my memory serves me correctly, he was on receivers like stink on **** all season. I think he is a STEAL if he is still on the board at 40. Thoughts?

You don't think he'll stick around to the 3rd or 4th round?

Since we don't have a 4th, I'de look at him at 5. Like to see him battle Craft and Young for some playing time.

Chevis will be a mid to late second rounder. I think due to his history of zone coverage we may pass on him, as although he excelled at LSU whatever they were doing, he was clearly not on par with the other CBs there when playing man, which is what we do.
If we switch to predominantly zone coverage, which we might do to accomadate Gay and David, or we believe he is what we are looking for and think he has the tools to be successful I would support the pick.

Chevis will be a mid to late second rounder. I think due to his history of zone coverage we may pass on him, as although he excelled at LSU whatever they were doing, he was clearly not on par with the other CBs there when playing man, which is what we do.
If we switch to predominantly zone coverage, which we might do to accomadate Gay and David, or we believe he is what we are looking for and think he has the tools to be successful I would support the pick.

Dude, what are you talking about? LSU plays zone like 5% of the defensive calls. They put their corners on an island and make you beat them. It's been this way for years.

That is not to say that I think we should draft him because I think he's a step too slow to play predominately man coverage in the NFL but in college, he did not get beat a whole lot because he has good ball skills.

After watching every game this past season, I can't remember one instance when Chevis was burned but I can remember many when I couldn't see the opposing receiver because he was covered so well.

He isn't going to have the sexy combine numbers, but I think he will be a good starter in the league. After playing at the highest college level, he has to be the most ready CB. Correct?

Dude, what are you talking about? LSU plays zone like 5% of the defensive calls. They put their corners on an island and make you beat them. It's been this way for years.

That is not to say that I think we should draft him because I think he's a step too slow to play predominately man coverage in the NFL but in college, he did not get beat a whole lot because he has good ball skills.

I agree. He does have good ball skills

Be careful picking CBs that come from teams with great pass rush.

He didn't have great speed , but didn't need it with the Tigers, Qbs couldn't hold the ball long.

Better recievers at the next level, but might be worth a late pick 5th

Chevis is about a 4th to 5th rounder. If we pick him in the 5th I wouldn't be upset with the pick. If we take him in the 2nd round, we'll be laughed at for weeks on end - and we should be. That would be a monster reach. I don't know that he has the speed to make it on the NFL level, but if he can land on a team like the GiAnts who have a great pass rush, he probably can be a competent starter. On a team with a bad pass rush, he's more likely to look like Jason David did last season. He might surprise us, but I think his best shot is the former scenario. He'll never be the second coming of Willie Brown.

He didn't have great speed , but didn't need it with the Tigers, Qbs couldn't hold the ball long.

That is a good argument and a reason to be wary. However, Cason from SC would have the same argument. They are very similar players in my opinion.

That is a huge misconception. LSU kind of struggled getting consistent pressure on the QB last year. When Dorsey was out this was magnified and many of the sacks LSU did get was because of outstanding coverage.

Jackson has excellent ball skills, has quick feet and phenominal instincts. He has good size and leaping ability as well as long arms. He may not run a 4.3 but I would feel very good about him playing just about any receiver in our division with the exception to Galloway and Steve Smith.

IMO Jackson will be the most undervalued corner in the draft. He might not ever make a pro bowl but he could certainly be a serviceable corner. Jackson is a very good tackler and doesn't shy away from run support and he always seems to have excellent awareness of the situations around him. I really can't say enough about his instincts. Several have mentioned that he has good ball skills, I would say he has great ball skills.

Here is the best highlight video I have found of him so far. I really wish I could find a video of him getting beat deep and closing the gap while the ball was in air and knocking the ball out of defenders hands.
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media.../DB/DB_Chevis_Jackson_Highlight_-_3-5-08.aspx

A steal at #40? Chevis Jackson is not an early second rounder. Take him in the 3rd if you take him at all.

I think Chevis might compare favorably to Mike Mckenzie. Neither have elite speed, but make up for it with their physical play. I'd like to get him in the 3rd.

That is a huge misconception. LSU kind of struggled getting consistent pressure on the QB last year. When Dorsey was out this was magnified and many of the sacks LSU did get was because of outstanding coverage.

Jackson has excellent ball skills, has quick feet and phenominal instincts. He has good size and leaping ability as well as long arms. He may not run a 4.3 but I would feel very good about him playing just about any receiver in our division with the exception to Galloway and Steve Smith.

IMO Jackson will be the most undervalued corner in the draft. He might not ever make a pro bowl but he could certainly be a serviceable corner. Jackson is a very good tackler and doesn't shy away from run support and he always seems to have excellent awareness of the situations around him. I really can't say enough about his instincts. Several have mentioned that he has good ball skills, I would say he has great ball skills.

Here is the best highlight video I have found of him so far. I really wish I could find a video of him getting beat deep and closing the gap while the ball was in air and knocking the ball out of defenders hands.
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media.../DB/DB_Chevis_Jackson_Highlight_-_3-5-08.aspx

:plus-un2:

Nothing left to add except to reinterate his cover skills and instincts. That can make up for his lack of speed. Not at #40, but in the 3rd or 4th is fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom