anyone tried to use DirecTV solely for Sunday Ticket? (1 Viewer)

If you live out of the New Orleans area, DirecTv is a must. I went to school in Arkansas, where I had Cox for the first year, and switched to DirecTV after that. DirecTV is awesome other than the fact that I can't get CST to watch the Hornets.

I can't put a dish on my building, so I'm stuck going to the bar for all you can drink Bud Light and an order of killer wings for $25+tip. Not bad...

Also, sunday ticket just isn't that important to me. Of course that is only because up here in Anchorage, Alaska we have a pretty large group of Saints fans (icluding Loomis' brother!) who all meet at the same sports bar to watch the game on a large projection screen with the game audio piped in. I very much prefer that to watching the game at home by myself.

Just hold out until they lose their exclusive deal. No way the NFL lets them keep it. Congress has already put the ki-bosh on DirecTV trying to do the same thing with MLB.

Do you know how many years people have been saying the same thing? So far, DirecTV is the only place for The Sunday Ticket.

I've had NFL ticket since it's inception. When we switched from DirectTv to cable 8 years ago I was able to keep a connection for about $5 or $10/month. It steadily increased. After time they didn't even offer the package to new subscribers. When talking to DirectTv once they didn't even have a name for that package. I was grandfathered in and they wouldn't take it away but they raised the "connection" fee yearly to around $25/month which only got me the pay movie channels and the NFL channel.

That's interesting, about 8 or 9 years ago, Circuit City was running a special at the start of the football season for Sunday Ticket with 4 months of the premium package and free installation. I signed up, got it installed cancelled the package 4 months later and enjoyed the rest of the season on Sunday Ticket.

I only pay for Sunday Ticket now, receive the NFL Network (although, to be honest, I've never tried to watch it, except during football season). I only pay my bill once a year in August, I've never been charged a connection fee or any maintenance fee. That all being said, I've avoiding even talking to them except when absolutely necessary, because I don't want them tipped off to the deal I've somehow fallen into.

I always figured I was grandfathered in, because my folks can't only get ST.

I can't put a dish on my building, so I'm stuck going to the bar for all you can drink Bud Light and an order of killer wings for $25+tip. Not bad...

I couldn't do that either in college with my apartment complex. I solved that problem with a five gallon bucket, some cement, and pvc pipe. I made my own portable dish stand and stuck it out on my balcony facing South.

You could make your own and place it by a window I guess if you don't have a balcony. If you're not facing the right direction though it won't mattter.

I've had the "stand alone" sunday ticket for about 12 yrs now, and since the NFL network came into being, I get it year around for the price of the Sunday ticket

Last edited:
I'd have had directTV years ago if Comcast didn't have me by the short & curlies on their monopoly cable internet service.

The minute FIOS from Verizon gets out here, I'm jumping ship.

I thought I had that same problem, but I overcame it a year ago. I was paying like $170 a month to Comcast, pretty much all channels, 2 dvr, 1 reg box, & cable Internet. My problem was that Comcast would raise the price of the Internet to like $60, from $40 if I dropped cable tv AND I was worried about having to order 5 direct tv boxes for the guest room, office, etc. Well, I found out that Comcast would qualify their $8.99 BASIC cable as their TV service, thus I would be able to get their basic cable and Internet for for $49. Now I have Direct TV (1 Dvr, 2 reg boxes) and Comcast (I have it going into the guest room & kitchen), which cost me a grand total of $150. I have the coax 'out' on the DVR going from my livingroom to my bedroom tv(where I also have a reg box) and a rf remote extender for when we want to watch recorded stuff in bed. I will be a loyal Direct TV subscriber for years to come!

I owned Sports Bars for 20 years always had standard cable year round and used DirectTV for the Sunday Ticket. Now granted I paid thousands for the ticket but never carried DTV programming for anything else. Now I've been out of the business for about 4 years, Sorry I don't have anymore recent info, hope that helps.

I'm one of the people who was grandfathered. About oh, 6 or 7 years ago, i got rid of the total choice package and went with the Sunday Ticket only. I for 4 months a year i get a bill for 50 bucks and thats it. I get the Sunday Ticket and NFL network only.

As stated before, i not elible for any upgrades or promotions, and if i ever let it lapse, i've to at least get their monthly basic service, so i guess i'm one of the lucky ones. Since i can't upgrade with out buying a monthly service the only think i can't get is the HD service part of Sunday Ticket.

I've had ST since inception. It's the best thing on TV. It's worth every cent to see my boys play every week.

It's too bad they won't go to a pay per game package. That way you could pay for the game you wanted to see.

OK, I have a Sunday Ticket question for ST veterans. I just got my "auto renewal" notice. I told them that I didn't want it to autorenew, but it did anyway.

In it, it shows that I am paying 5 payments of $49 for Sunday Ticket and $0 for the SuperFan Package. Does that mean I am getting the SuperFan for free, or does that mean that I am not getting the SuperFan at all?

I also got an Email telling me I was paying 6 payments of 41.50 each and that the SuperFan package was an additional 6 payments of $16.50.

I know I can call DirecTV to ask, but I wanted to find out from veterans what their experiences have been in the past with autorenewals first.

Thanks all!

I couldn't do that either in college with my apartment complex. I solved that problem with a five gallon bucket, some cement, and PVC pipe. I made my own portable dish stand and stuck it out on my balcony facing South.

You could make your own and place it by a window I guess if you don't have a balcony. If you're not facing the right direction though it won't matter.

I did basically the same thing for years while out on the road. I would carry a 6 ft piece
of PVC and a bag of zip ties.(Zip tie the PVC to the mirror on my truck, get it as straight as possible, find the coordinates with a truckstop zip code and bingo. Satellite in the truck anywhere in America in about 2 minutes.)

OK, I have a Sunday Ticket question for ST veterans. I just got my "auto renewal" notice. I told them that I didn't want it to autorenew, but it did anyway.

In it, it shows that I am paying 5 payments of $49 for Sunday Ticket and $0 for the SuperFan Package. Does that mean I am getting the SuperFan for free, or does that mean that I am not getting the SuperFan at all?

I also got an Email telling me I was paying 6 payments of 41.50 each and that the SuperFan package was an additional 6 payments of $16.50.

I know I can call DirecTV to ask, but I wanted to find out from veterans what their experiences have been in the past with autorenewals first.

Thanks all!

It probably just means that you haven't been billed for SF yet. There is a ton of discussion about this over at dbstalk.com.

You may have to call them again to cancel.

If you are serious about canceling and you've been a "good" customer to D*, you may get SF for free. Just call again and say you want to cancel. Many people have been getting offered SF for free.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom