Anyone up for a Workation? (1 Viewer)

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

Work-from-home has become work-from-anywhere. Short-term rental sites report an uptick in the number of remote and hybrid workers—who are no longer tethered to their workplace—and who are booking homes to stay in while they work from afar.

Nearly half of the nights booked in the third quarter on Airbnb’s short-term house rental platform were for stays of at least seven days, up from 44% in 2019. One out of every five gross nights booked in the third quarter were for stays that stretched even more—28 days or longer.

I may have to consider this.

nope.

im unplugged when on vacation. have to in order maintain separation of work and home. I will answer an email or text, but thats about the extent of work when im truly on vacation ( that I foot the bill for )

I have a buddy who did this for the past 6 months. He enjoyed it but was ready for his own place again with all of his things about 4.5 months into it. He recently moved back into his own place.

I considered it as well but I knew that eventually I'd want to come back to SD and have my own space again and my concern was not being able to find a decent place to live because of the housing shortages here. Plus I am locked into my rent and if I left, I'm sure they'd increase the rent here by a few hundo per month and any equivalent I'd find, I'd going to have to pay a lot more for now since all the LA & Bay Area peeps are moving down here (better weather & slightly cheaper).

Two summers in a row now we have gone to Boone, NC for three weeks. I work from there, the wife and kids go out on adventures during the day while I work. I join them when I finish (well before sunset) plus the weekends.

Probably will continue to do this.

If my company wants to pay to send me to a vacation area, then great, I’m all for it. If you knew my company you’d know what a laugh that is.

If I’m taking my PTO to go sit on the beach, then everything even remotely related to work stays home.

If my company wants to pay to send me to a vacation area, then great, I’m all for it. If you knew my company you’d know what a laugh that is.

If I’m taking my PTO to go sit on the beach, then everything even remotely related to work stays home.
I mentioned to @Dago the other day that I want to take a protected leave of absence & go spend 3 months on a farm in the mountains of South America, breathe fresh air, eat fresh food, zone out and not stress.

He replied “can’t you work remotely? You could totally do that as long as you have internet”. I replied “I guess you missed the part where I said I wanted to not have any stress”.

I mentioned to @Dago the other day that I want to take a protected leave of absence & go spend 3 months on a farm in the mountains of South America, breathe fresh air, eat fresh food, zone out and not stress.

He replied “can’t you work remotely? You could totally do that as long as you have internet”. I replied “I guess you missed the part where I said I wanted to not have any stress”.
After 2 years of dealing with Covid in healthcare I want to take my running shoes, Swimsuits, and a bag of weed. I’ll go sit on a warm beach for 2-3 months and contemplate if I’m ever coming back. The only reason right now that I’d return is my kids, 19 and 9.

Work can go sod itself.

Yeah I think the idea is that you do this in addition to your traditional PTO, proper vacation - not in lieu of.

when i was consulting, i'd take workations daily.. at my drinking hole. as long as there wasn't a conference call, voice or video.

Take my students with me on vacation? Combine that with my wife’s students that could be over 100 kids from 9 to 18 years old??
I’d rather not
When they were fully remote last year, one of my oldest child's teachers would hop on in a wetsuit some mornings because he was out surfing before class. His lease was up when the remote decision was made so he found a place on the coast.

Actually there were two others that went mobil during that time as well.

The history teacher spent several weeks, on a volunteer basis, at a colleagues archerological site. Incorporated his colleague and the site in a few lessons.

The 7th grade Science teacher, who was actually a volcanologist, actually took a trip to her old work site in Villarrica. None of the current people working there appeared in person, but she took videos of the area around the volcano and shared them. My kid was incredulous when they found out their teacher actually chose to teach middle school kids when they had an 8 year degree and had been traveling the world studying volcanoes.

Happy she did though, she really got Bebe into her class.

They were all awesome teachers really.

Two summers in a row now we have gone to Boone, NC for three weeks. I work from there, the wife and kids go out on adventures during the day while I work. I join them when I finish (well before sunset) plus the weekends.

Probably will continue to do this.
i'm soooooo not disciplined to work remotely. i get distracted really easily. i'm talking dogs-from-up-after-seeing-a-squirrel distracted.

i am definitely an office person. i get 100000000x more work done.

i'm soooooo not disciplined to work remotely. i get distracted really easily. i'm talking dogs-from-up-after-seeing-a-squirrel distracted.

i am definitely an office person. i get 100000000x more work done.
what is crazy is that i'll gladly work 23 hours a day (as i have several times, almost all being paid on a salary) to figure out a server/network/infrastructure issue. yet, ask me to create a presentation? yeah. fork no. i'll drag that sheet on for days, weeks if i can. i learned quickly that consulting = creating powerpoints.

kinda off-topic, but that is my rant and i'll stand behind it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom