Anyone Watch the WSOP? (1 Viewer)

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I was watching night before last, and they were down to the final 30 or so.

Phil Ivey is sitting there with a pair of 8s. He ends up with a flush. Other guy says "I got an ace," and turns over his cards, pairing the board for a pair of aces. Phil tosses his cards into the muck, with a look of disgust on his face.

Apparently, he was upset that the pair of aces beat his flush....

I hate to see that kind of thing happen, but it's good to know that even the pros make mistakes like that.

Missed that 1.

But Im rooting for Darvin Moon, the logger from Maryland who wears the Saints hat. He became a Saints fan 20 years ago because he roots for the underdog & that has been his team since.

So when a logger amateur poker player from Maryland, wearing a Saints hat makes the final table in the biggest poker tournament in the world, that tells me this is our year to win the SB.

No doubt in my mind this is not a coincidence.

Missed that 1.

But Im rooting for Darvin Moon, the logger from Maryland who wears the Saints hat. He became a Saints fan 20 years ago because he roots for the underdog & that has been his team since.

So when a logger amateur poker player from Maryland, wearing a Saints hat makes the final table in the biggest poker tournament in the world, that tells me this is our year to win the SB.

I was flipping through the channels and saw the guy with the Saints hat, I wondered what his deal was.

Yeah, I saw Ivey mis-read his cards and cost himself that pot. Of course, Norman Chad still carried on like he was the greatest regardless of the gaffe. I posted something about Darvin Moon here a while back when I got my issue of CardPlayer that detailed the November 9. I would love for him to win the tournament.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vbrdIrPrbTw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vbrdIrPrbTw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I was watching night before last, and they were down to the final 30 or so.

Phil Ivey is sitting there with a pair of 8s. He ends up with a flush. Other guy says "I got an ace," and turns over his cards, pairing the board for a pair of aces. Phil tosses his cards into the muck, with a look of disgust on his face.

Apparently, he was upset that the pair of aces beat his flush....

I hate to see that kind of thing happen, but it's good to know that even the pros make mistakes like that.

Thats exactly why I never muck my cards anymore unless I was blatantly bluffing and other player shows first.

BTW, most people don't know this but anyone who is dealt in at the table can demand to see anyone's hand at showdown even if they try to muck. I use this to put people on tilt that I don't like.

wow, I missed that. that's pretty shocking to see a player like Ivey do. no double check of the hole cards with 4 spades out there? weird.

Thats exactly why I never muck my cards anymore unless I was blatantly bluffing and other player shows first.

BTW, most people don't know this but anyone who is dealt in at the table can demand to see anyone's hand at showdown even if they try to muck. I use this to put people on tilt that I don't like.
i think that's only true in cash games, to keep collusion down

A word of warning about doing this....If you're in the hand, and you do this (or anyone else asks for it), tell the deal to touch the players' cards to the muck before they turn them over.

You want to be sure the hand is dead before the cards are turned up.

ESPN E:60 had a nice feature on Phil last night. Pretty good insight into his high roller lifestyle.

Last edited:
Missed that 1.

Same here. The entire WSOP Main Event is on Verizon Free On Demand, so I can watch it anytime without clogging up my DVR. Moon was on a sick run during a couple of episodes. Of course, the televised portion of the event is really a very small slice of what goes on at the event.

I played in Event 4 last summer, over 6k players. It was an interesting experience. I lasted through the 6th level, and got really unlucky when I busted out. I played the nightly $340 tourney twice and cashed both times, heh. Because of that, I basically freerolled my trip, heh. Will prolly try to go again in 2010.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom