Anyone Watch Will Smith Story on KATC News Tonight? (1 Viewer)

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
KATC looked like they were trying to do their best "Dateline" impression of some sharp investigative journalist blowing the whistle. I wanted to throw up. Then I wanted to yell "does that mean detention after school?"

Apparantley Will Smith and Wifey knew the judge who released Will from jail. They attended a few fundraisers for her, and she has pictures of them on her facebook. She let Will Smith out on his own recognizance when a statute had been passed earlier this year making it illegal for domestic abuse. And though the bail was 1000, she didn't make him pay.

The fact that the judge could have broken a law by releasing him on his own recognizance makes this a story. Add the fact that the judge removed pictures of her and Will Smith down from facebook in the hour since KATC first reported certainly doesn't make it any less newsworthy. Good thing she pulled this one post-election. :covri:

The fact that the judge could have broken a law by releasing him on his own recognizance makes this a story. Add the fact that the judge removed pictures of her and Will Smith down from facebook in the hour since KATC first reported certainly doesn't make it any less newsworthy. Good thing she pulled this one post-election. :covri:

It may be newsworthy, but it was done in tacky fashion, like that aggrivating brown noser reminding the teacher about a quiz/homework right before the bell rings. It had that kind of feel to it.

I'm good friends with a mayor in a certain town where his police give bogus tickets. I take the ticket to my good friend the mayor and he makes it dissappear-- because he knows me, and he knows the cop, and he has a good idea what kind of ROTC wanna be this cop was in school and how this cop maybe throws around his weight more than he should. Would it be better to use his judgement and throw the ticket out as opposed to all the court time and man hours that would eventually result in the same thing?

This may be Louisiana, and we may be a little crooked, but if both Smith and his wife agree to what happened (and it could have been something to the affect of him restraining her from getting into a fight with a woman flirting with him and causing an even bigger mess) and his wife suffered no visible truama, no cops were called, does this need to go to court and do charges really need to be filed?

Point is sometimes common sense is better than the process of the law, and if someone in position can help you or Will Smith & Family circumvent the legal process because common sense dictates it should never have gone that far to begin with, what's the big deal? Yeah, the judge is "friends" of the family, but maybe that's how she knows she is making a better judgement. And maybe she gets a campaign donation for it. So what, this is Louisiana.

Don't much care about the judge, the cop, or the wife, but I do care about the Saints and how they will be affected by this. The commish has a penchant for suspending players and Smith gives him an opportunity. Ya gotta figure we owe the commish a few and we may lose Smith for a game or more.

Don't much care about the judge, the cop, or the wife, but I do care about the Saints and how they will be affected by this. The commish has a penchant for suspending players and Smith gives him an opportunity. Ya gotta figure we owe the commish a few and we may lose Smith for a game or more.

i doubt he'll get a suspension for this. Whatever happened to the starcaps thing anyways?

KATC looked like they were trying to do their best "Dateline" impression

that paints a very vivid image in my imagination.. and I'm very glad I didn't see it.

hope it can all be settled without too much noise.

Will Smith's wife worked for Judge Keaty. Her connection to Smith and his wife is through the wife. I highly doubt that she would have released him from jail unless Smith's wife explained the situation and she realized that this was not domestic violence and that he had been arrested by mistake. Of course, KATC doesn't tell you that Judge Keaty knew Smith through his wife, which is crucial information in that (a) it means she did not release him because she was awestruck by his celebrity; and (b) she would likely have thought twice about releasing a man who abused her friend and employee. In that context, however, you've just got a violation of a statute requiring a $1,000 bond, and we don't even know what the statute is and if any discretion is allowed whatsoever. If the release was improper then it was improper, but this appears to me to be much less of a story than they want you to think it is.

I haven't trusted local media ever since KATC ran a story about a situation on a project I was in charge of and knew all the details involved. The reporter got all the facts wrong. He reported everything he was told by a crazy malcontent that did everything he could possibly do to find a reason to sue us. They ran the story without even bothering to check the facts.

There were so many media reports on that project that were wrong, that it's hard for me to believe anything anything I read or hear in the news. Their investigative journalism is neither.

Yeah, the judge is "friends" of the family, but maybe that's how she knows she is making a better judgement. And maybe she gets a campaign donation for it. So what, this is Louisiana.

It's exactly this attitude which has served the state so poorly for decades and decades. Most things about Louisiana, I miss. Not this.

It's exactly this attitude which has served the state so poorly for decades and decades. Most things about Louisiana, I miss. Not this.

Having worked law enforcement in Louisiana, I couldn't agree more. Just because the corruption serves you doesn't mean it's a okay. There's nothing good about it.

that paints a very vivid image in my imagination.. and I'm very glad I didn't see it.

hope it can all be settled without too much noise.

chrishansen.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom