Anyway we can get a higher draft pick next offseason by trading somone/picks after this season ends? (1 Viewer)

PaulinP

Very Banned
Reaction score
If you don't like talking about trade ideas at thins ponit in time, then don't bother giving me grief for it, just ignore the thread...

With our surplus of very good recievers, running backs, and O-lineman, would you think we would try to trade any players or players with picks to try to move up for one of the very good DTs, Eric Berry, Rolando McLain, or any other elite prospect? Or maybe they wouldn't even trade a player away bc we are such a complete team, maybe just trade 1st, 3rd, and a future 3rd?

I'm just seeing what y'all think about regarding our team in the darft because of the quality of talent there is in our need positions higher in the draft. BC WE WILL NOT BE PICKING IN THE TOP 24 PICKS THIS UPCOMING DRAFT, "I CAN GUARANTEE IT!" That felt good.

That's honestly the main reason I am asking bc it just feels so good to know that's the truth, and to know we are a great defense now and one great rookie might make us one of the best defenses for years to come. And maybe ever if we kee this pace up we will be called one of the best ever. Sorry, I'm gabbing like a 12 year old, what do you think?

Ah, grasshopper.

Good teams do not have weak spots.

The "trade 1st, 3rd, and a future 3rd" stuff is for losing teams that need major help.

Note the Pats trade down left and right because they have a solid team.

So do we.

My opinion, we won't trade anyone. And your inclusion of the Oline is not possible. A jab at Brown I guess.

No.

ddd

I think you will see more of the opposite next year. Trading down to get more picks.

Keep in mind we only have 2 draft picks on the active 53 from 2009.

If you don't like talking about trade ideas at thins ponit in time, then don't bother giving me grief for it, just ignore the thread...

With our surplus of very good recievers, running backs, and O-lineman, would you think we would try to trade any players or players with picks to try to move up for one of the very good DTs, Eric Berry, Rolando McLain, or any other elite prospect? Or maybe they wouldn't even trade a player away bc we are such a complete team, maybe just trade 1st, 3rd, and a future 3rd?

I'm just seeing what y'all think about regarding our team in the darft because of the quality of talent there is in our need positions higher in the draft. BC WE WILL NOT BE PICKING IN THE TOP 24 PICKS THIS UPCOMING DRAFT, "I CAN GUARANTEE IT!" That felt good.

That's honestly the main reason I am asking bc it just feels so good to know that's the truth, and to know we are a great defense now and one great rookie might make us one of the best defenses for years to come. And maybe ever if we kee this pace up we will be called one of the best ever. Sorry, I'm gabbing like a 12 year old, what do you think?

This must be for FF, right?

While good in our system, most of our players aren't very marketable.
Believe me, we wouldn't want to lose the marketable ones.

I don't see us being able to afford high draft choices or high dollar
FA's anyway. We have about 6 players that are due a good payday
next year. I would be surprised if we can free up enough cap money
to pay all of them. (assuming there is a cap)

To answer the OP question, probably not. Next year's draft is supposed to be a very deep draft with a lot of talent, so I dont expect teams to give up high draft picks for players.

Besides, there really isnt anyone on our team that i would see as expendable, or at least to the point that we would get high a high draft pick for them. No one will trade a first round pick for a rb and rarely for a WR. No one will draw a first round draft pick on the Saints team that we would be willing to give up.

BTW Eric Berry would get me so freaking pysched. We don't even really "need" him but that dude is awesome. What a football player. Would absolutely love to get Eric Berry.

Who are you trying to pick up in the draft so much that you'd like to trade up at this point? You want Tebow from the Rams?

I guess people failed to read the first line of your post lol.

Depending on Brown's status next year, as in if he is a RFA or not, he's the only guy I could see this team trading. He's still plenty young and I think his chronic knee problem is just something a beat writer started (can't remember who but there was a thread about this a few months ago) with no real basis. Either way we'd still be lucky to get a first round pick for him, realistically maybe a 2nd and 5th.

As for targets we might really be able to go BPA or trade down and then BPA. We could use some youth at SLB, C, NT, and maybe WLB if there is a can't miss prospect. For WLB it really depends on if Casillas and Dunbar show enough to start or if they are career backups. Another Gaurd and Tackle couldn't hurt either.

I'm going to do my best to answer your question...not that I have anymore football expertise over the other 2500 members on here...:smilielol:

We have a lot of talent on this current team. We also have a few players on IR that have yet to see more than a few snaps in preseason. We have depth at a lot of positions and the season is young enough that injuries are bound to happen. With that said, we'll have guys who get injured, go on IR, lose a step, and the need for a backup to jump in and not miss a beat. A great example of this is Bushrod stepping in for Brown.

Now, if you look at each of the positions today, you can see where we MIGHT have some advantage come the offseason or prior to the draft. Now, with that said, let's remember that we'll have some guys we re-sign, some guys we let walk, some guys who showed that with one year under their belt they can continue on where last season's starter left off.

I just don't see where we'd have anyone that is worth something to another team at this point...honestly. MAYBE...if a great olineman fell to us in the first round, we might snag him and then try to trade Brown for a second or third. I think he's worth it, but another team might see a player coming off of IR and not see it as well I as I do. Yes, I know he is a Pro Bowler, but that doesn't mean teams are going to be lining up for him. Our WR's haven't drawn any interest because it's pretty much proven they are product of Payton's system and Brees. There isn't much unless you want to try the secondary and I for one like what we have right now and after so many years of having a horrible secondary....if it ain't broke...don't fix it!

If anything, I can see Payton moving down in this year's draft and trying to accumulate more picks. With the CBA issues on the horizon, the big market teams are going to pay BIG dollars that the Saints might not be able to match. We also might dump a few high price guys and try to inject more youth in the team to keep costs low and not be out for a bidding war on someone....Loomis has already proven we don't overpay and we honestly probably won't have a need to with a SB ring and good locker room attitudes.

Ok, flame away...that was just my armchair GM opinion ;)

I really don't see us trading up. Our team is so well balanced right now that I don't think there is really anybody that we would trade that would be worth a high 1st rounder.

Well, of course we want to enjoy the fruits of this great season, so I am not looking too far int the future. But, assuming my Saints football fantasy comes to fruition - a Superbowl victory on Feb 7, 2010, then I'd hope the Saints take a page from the Patriots organization. To me, that means generally trading down to acquire more picks and trusting your scouting department to find those gems in the later rounds. It also means letting loose of certain veterans that will be due big money to re-sign because of their "superbowl" credentials. I think Jammal Brown would be the most tradeable for added picks assuming Bushrod and Strief hold their positions. I think the Saints pay Jahri Evans. Reggie Bush may or may not be tradeable with his salary coming due but he is due for a paycut at a minimum, and a trade or out right cut unless he suddenly sets the world on fire. I don't think the Saints move any wide receivers or other offensive line depth. On defense, There really isn't enough depth to think about trading anybody. the onlymoves I'd see would be either Grant or Smith to be cut or take a contract restructure (probably Grant). they have played better, no doubt, but they still cannot get pressure without the bltiz.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom