Appendectomy and Other Musings (1 Viewer)

In PT school, I was helping a patient stand when the nurse came in and said, "Oh, good. I need to get his catheter out". She proceeded to pull it out with the same motion one would ring a church bell! I believe I heard every male in a 200 foot radius simultaneously gasp and grunt.
Was it a Texas or Foley cath? The Texas just slips off where the Foley is indwelling. The Foley has an inflatable ball on the end that holds it in place, and which I sincerely hope she would deflate prior to removal. I've seen disoriented patients remove indwelling catheters themselves and it's not pretty :no:

@Paul, glad you're ok!

Taking the catheter out is fine. Have them put it back in while you're awake, then come talk to me.

Mine blew up in 1994. Pulling out the catheter was uncomfortable; pulling the drain out of the incision in my stomach was brutal.
I find myself in rare company....appendix rupture when I was around 10. Side pain for a while, but, you know, you ignore till it “really” hurts. Went from Dr office straight to hospital and spent 2 weeks there. The drain tube.....don’t want to remember.
Flash forward 50 years....prostate cancer and surgery (and radiation treatments).
Catheter and drain tube. The pulled the drain on the second day. Dr. said to brace myself.....he wasn’t kidding. Two weeks later in the Dr. office...catheter removal.
One thing about prostate problems. If you have any modesty........too bad. Nurses in and out examining your junk. Post surgery (two weeks with catheter) having several visits to check it.
Radiation-you are naked with a gown, but that gets moved for the equipment they jam between your legs. (8 weeks, 5 days a week)
Thankfully, prostate cancer can be taken care of......i’m 3 years post surgery. Still clear.

J

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom