Apple owes the EU $14B in taxes (1 Viewer)

The people running these tech companies and playing this shell game don't get the backlash they should, IMO.

People are hammering Mylan and Big Oil for greed while these techies are unapologetically slimy.

Taxation is theft.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Apple paying taxes, but if there was a prior agreement with Ireland to grant a tax break, then that's Ireland's problem. Apple shouldn't have to pay more than what was agreed to begin with. To change after the fact sets bad precedent imo. This is Ireland's problem much more than any company taking advantage of exitsing laws. It's complicated though cuz the agreement was illegal based on EU rules. This one of the drawbacks of the EU, member nations are not truly sovereign if the EU is telling them what to do.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Apple paying taxes, but if there was a prior agreement with Ireland to grant a tax break, then that's Ireland's problem. Apple shouldn't have to pay more than what was agreed to begin with. To change after the fact sets bad precedent imo. This is Ireland's problem much more than any company taking advantage of exitsing laws. It's complicated though cuz the agreement was illegal based on EU rules. This one of the drawbacks of the EU, member nations are not truly sovereign if the EU is telling them what to do.

I was about to say the same thing. If Ireland made the agreement to give the tax break they should be the one held accountable.

Just to clear up any potential confusion over country names, New Mexico is in the US. Trump doesn't want to stop people from New Mexico from moving to New York.

This is a similar issue to what's happening with Apple and Ireland. If the member states are not playing by the rules, then they are the ones who should make up the difference, not the corporations. If the corporation is just going along with whatever the specific state agrees to, then it's up to the state to draft agreements that comply with EU rules.

The EU needs to sanction the states not following the rules. From a legal and moral standpoint, to turn around and stick it to the companies (even if you think they deserve it) doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

And this is coming from a guy would would be glad to see corporations pay much more than they actually do.

b7-3-197x300.jpeg

Just to clear up any potential confusion over country names, New Mexico is in the US. Trump doesn't want to stop people from New Mexico from moving to New York.

Woah hold on now! Let's not jump to conclusions. I don't think we have heard Trump's position on New Mexicans going to New York.

Ireland isn't part of the UK.

Are the Irish from Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland or both. I ask because we have a huge ND fan at our office and I want to impress him with my knowledge of the little green Irish people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom