Apple Store to Open - Mall of Louisiana (1 Viewer)

Also, I have question regarding compatability of software.

I have all the software I need to design and maintaing my websites and don't want to buy it all over again for a mac. I heard that some windows based programs run on Macs.. is that true?

There a 3 solutions to do that.

1) Macs run Windows in a dual boot configuration

2) or side by side at the same time
http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

3) Virtualization software.
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Macs run every OS, simple as that. Mac, Windows, Linux, etc. It's like two (or three) machines in one box.

Last edited:
So I wouldn't need to buy all the software all over again

:scratch:

Great. I hope the carry Gala, Arkansas Black, and Granny Smith. Apples are good. I don't like Red Delicious though. They are just too mushy for me. What's your favorite?

Hey, while we're having fun with names, dissect this one. micro__soft :hihi:

:nono:

That article is a Mac fanboy comparing prices of a Mac with the most expensive competitor.

Go to Besybuy, and you'll find:

17" Macbook - $2800

Comparable Dell - $2700

Comparable Asus - $1750

Better Gateway - $1350

Comparable Toshiba - $1450

Mac are prettier. Fine. No doubt. Macs are "trendier." Fine. No doubt. But Macs are MUCH more expensive than most PCs.

I think PC World itself had an article a few years back saying that the best value in the computer world was a Mac. I'd be interested to compare those computers side by side. I doubt very seriously that the PCs hardware and software are comparable to a $2800 Macbook (except for maybe the Dell. Those that are $1500 cheaper?? Come on!!!!). Maybe some of the features that the Mac has is something not important to you. If that's the case, that's fine. But it seems you are giving the PCs more credit for processing power when they require more processing power because of Winblows, but you aren't giving the Mac credit for a better display, much more preloaded software, and more efficiency between OS and hardware resulting in faster speeds. Design has a price, too. What about the fact that Macs last longer than PC's? You are generally going to get, at least, a year longer out of a Mac. Studies have been done on this and Mac users have to replace their computers less often than PC users.

For example, there is ABSOLUTELY no way that you can get a better Gateway for $1350. My wife has a Gatwway laptop in that price range, and it's pretty good, but it's way slower than my Mac with more processing power. If you are looking at only processing speed, you aren't getting the whole picture.

That's a waste of time and too much to ask of many consumers. The computer is an appliance, like any other. You don't have to "manage" a dishwasher or your TV, so why all the hassle? BTW, I use multiple platforms daily and made an educated decision based on quality time spent on those platforms. I'm willing to spend a few hundred extra for a Mac, just like I'll spend a few extra thousand on a Honda over a Hyundai, just my choice. Cheers!

/threadjackcomplete

Good point but it's really just preference. To me a computer is much more interactive than an applicance and most devices that deal with media are not as simple as load and go(well VCR/DVD player). With a TV you do have to initally set it up, program it and adjust to your liking. To me a PC is no different. I've never had a problem with a PC that I couldn't fix thanks to the internet because if I have a problem someone else has had it before so it's a wonderful database.

But at the end of the day it just depends how you think of your computer. If it's for use and abuse(I.E. never clearing cache, running antivirus software, defrag), then yeah get a mac.

Good point but it's really just preference. To me a computer is much more interactive than an applicance and most devices that deal with media are not as simple as load and go(well VCR/DVD player). With a TV you do have to initally set it up, program it and adjust to your liking. To me a PC is no different. I've never had a problem with a PC that I couldn't fix thanks to the internet because if I have a problem someone else has had it before so it's a wonderful database.

But at the end of the day it just depends how you think of your computer. If it's for use and abuse(I.E. never clearing cache, running antivirus software, defrag), then yeah get a mac.

You're right, It is about preference. There are lots of Apple nuts out there just like there are PC nuts. Most people buy a computer based upon their needs. Both PC's and Macs have their uses and places.

If you are a gamer, there is no doubt, the PC is the better buy. If you are interested in running as many different types of software as possible, the PC is also your best bet (I know the Intel Macs can run Windows, but that's like bringing a sandwich to a banquet, IMO. Why would you run Winblows if you can run OS X). If you like to tinker and want to build your own machine, the PC is your best bet.

However, if you want to do multimedia stuff, pictures, movies, music, ect., the Mac is superior. If you want a hassle free computer experience, the Mac is better. If you want to replace your computer less often, the Mac is superior. If graphic design is something you want to do, the Mac is better.

I'll admit, I have a Mac, so I do prefer Macs, but I work all day on PC's in a computer support role, so I'm not a Mac fanboy or anything. I get hassles all day on PC's and I don't want any such hassles at home, so I use a Mac.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom