Apple Store to Open - Mall of Louisiana (1 Viewer)

I've never used a Mac, but I'm a huge fan of the iPod and I'm surprised to hear ya'll saying that the Mac isn't very user-friendly??

You might have misunderstood what was said. I think the Mac is much more friendly than Windows. Just my opinion. Go try a Mac out. They run Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux if you choose (all of them fast). MS Office for Mac is arguably the best out there, and totally compatible with Windows versions. It's not as scary as some think.

Macs are superior to PCs in almost every way. PC's are better gaming machines and you can get bargain basement PC's which really don't exist in the Mac world.

Saying that Windows is the best because everybody uses it is like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant in the world because everybody eats there.

The price difference is a myth, unless you seriously are trying to compare a bargain basement PC to an iMac or a cheapo laptop to a Macbook, in which case, you might not have the reasoning skills to appreciate the superior design of a Mac, anyway.

This article explains it all. The price difference is a myth if you are comparing apples to apples (pun intended)

http://kurafire.net/log/archive/2006/04/25/debunking-the-price-myth-apple-vs-dell

Last edited:
I've never used a Mac, but I'm a huge fan of the iPod and I'm surprised to hear ya'll saying that the Mac isn't very user-friendly??

A co-worker of mine has a mac laptop, but said he will never get a mac again. He said that he has run into issues with his wife's i-pod that he got her for Christmas and an iPhone not working because he didn't have the newest version of operating system. He said it seems they require you to upgrade the OS all the time.

Seems silly to me that Mac wouldn't offer a cd with drivers that work on different versions of their OS like Windows does. If this is true, I don't like that practice.

I use to think Bass Pro was the bomb; I then went to Cabelas...... Cabelas puts BP to shame in every way....

Not the one's in Baton Rouge... Bass Pro >>>>>> Cabelas and I haven't found anyone that I've asked yet that liked Cabelas better.
:dunno:

:nono:

That article is a Mac fanboy comparing prices of a Mac with the most expensive competitor.

Go to Besybuy, and you'll find:

17" Macbook - $2800

Comparable Dell - $2700

Comparable Asus - $1750

Better Gateway - $1350

Comparable Toshiba - $1450

Mac are prettier. Fine. No doubt. Macs are "trendier." Fine. No doubt. But Macs are MUCH more expensive than most PCs.

Pointer: If you have brains, and you know how to build your own car, you can save money by not buying from a dealership.

Mac has one operating system, not the infinite permutations of Windows.

Mac has superior color management, and superior, out of the box handling of mulitiple displays. Not necessary for everyone, but necessary for some.

If you like to tinker under the hood, modify, build exotic systems, etc., then you should get a PC. It's true you will get more value for your money, and you'll have many more options and more flexibiity. A computer is a tool, and I don't enjoy tinkering, playing or constantly upgrading it.

I run both platforms. I've never had a problem with my Mac. I've never had a virus of any kind, never had my system or desktop hijacked, never had to run spyware software, never had to do anything...and the software integrates flawlessly. It automatically backs up my critical files like contacts, calendars, bookmarks, preferences, and anything else I want--online. In the background.

I'm always having to fiddle with my PC...suddenly, yesterday, it's giving me script errors. I'm sure some brainiac will tell me it's a simple matter of blah blah blah. All I know is it's one more thing I have to fiddle with when I could be working or drinking booze.

They both have their uses. I much, much prefer my Mac.

Last edited:
Mac has one operating system, not the infinite permutations of Windows.

Did you read my above post from a co-worker? He literally told me this on Friday and then found even more issues this weekend. He said in order to get an iPhone he had to have the newest version of Apple OS. Same with his wife's iPod product. Something about it needed the newest version of iTunes but that the newest iTunes doesn't work this his OS?

If Mac truly only has 1 operating system then why aren't there drivers to make products work on different versions of the operating system?

Not being sarcastic, just curious for some input. It seems silly that they wouldn't offer a CD or downloadable drivers to support new products on different versions of their operating system. :dunno:

Did you read my above post from a co-worker? He literally told me this on Friday and then found even more issues this weekend. He said in order to get an iPhone he had to have the newest version of Apple OS. Same with his wife's iPod product. Something about it needed the newest version of iTunes but that the newest iTunes doesn't work this his OS?

If Mac truly only has 1 operating system then why aren't there drivers to make products work on different versions of the operating system?

Not being sarcastic, just curious for some input. It seems silly that they wouldn't offer a CD or downloadable drivers to support new products on different versions of their operating system. :dunno:

I've never had that problem. So that may well be true.

What I mean by one operating system, is that Vista has several different versions. I can understand that someone else might be running XP, or 2000 or whatever. And when they moved to Vista, of course there were bumps in the road, that's understood. But there are different permutations of Vista itself--I bought a printer and it turned out that when it says it works on 2000, XP, and Vista--it only works with certain versions of each software. Freaking pain on my PC.

As to the Mac, usually any changes like that are available online. I bought the latest upgrade to Aperture, and from what I understand there were some problems with it. It was realeased a couple of weeks ago, and yesterday they issued a revision. My computer notified me, downloaded it, and installed it without re-starting my system.

Apple will be releasing a new version of the iPhone in the near future--I'm sure there will be problems with it.

I'm not saying it's perfect, because it's far from it. For example, I've always used high end Epson printers, but for some reason, Epson has been doing a horrible job of writing drivers for the Mac. That's on Epson, but it's still a huge issue for me.

The bottom line is that while there will be problems, on a day to day basis, I can't even remotely compare the two.

As to the opening of a Mac store, I think it's a huge, huge deal. If I'm a graphic artist--or even if you're trying to service the film industry (which Louisiana/New Orleans has been very good at) having an Apple Store nearby is a huge deal. It's only a good thing.

Last edited:

KOS, iPhone requires OS X 10.4. They are now up to 10.5. It sounds like your homie is running a 5 year old version of OS to me (10.3 or older). It costs about $100 to upgrade (vs. how many hundreds for Vista?). He should probably just bite the bullet. Sounds reasonable to me. I have an early 2002 Mac and have upgraded the OS once from 10.2 to 10.4($100). Only the mega fanboys upgrade every time a new version comes out. It's not necessary. Hope this helps.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305703

Last edited:
Cool thanks for the info Shawn and Thorin..

Great. I hope the carry Gala, Arkansas Black, and Granny Smith. Apples are good. I don't like Red Delicious though. They are just too mushy for me. What's your favorite?

Also, I have question regarding compatability of software.

I have all the software I need to design and maintaing my websites and don't want to buy it all over again for a mac. I heard that some windows based programs run on Macs.. is that true?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom