Archie Manning Career Passer Rating (1 Viewer)

D-Mac26

Who Dat?
Reaction score
I'm too young to have seen Archie play, but I've heard from many Saints fans before my time about how great he was. Yes, I know the teams he played for were pretty bad. But I looked at a link to the Saints' passing records webpage, and I saw that Archie Manning's career passer rating is 68.6. That's just plain awful. I know that many people who love Archie will probably get upset for this post, but I thought it was interesting and wanted to put it up here.

It's not as bad as it seems. The League was different back then. Lots more down field passing = horrible completion percentage. Heres how Archie stacks up against a few other from the "early" years:

the number on the left is where they rank all time:
rank rating
93 Ron Jaworski 72.78
106 Terry Bradshaw 70.92
129 Joe Namath 65.46
123 Jim Plunkett 67.5

It's not as bad as it seems. The League was different back then. Lots more down field passing = horrible completion percentage. Heres how Archie stacks up against a few other from the "early" years:

the number on the left is where they rank all time:
rank rating
93 Ron Jaworski 72.78
106 Terry Bradshaw 70.92
129 Joe Namath 65.46
123 Jim Plunkett 67.5

Yeah. Aaron Brooks ranks 45th....Hebert 55th.

http://profootballhof.com/history/release.jsp?release_id=1990

Well, in Archie's "prime" he had one of the better ratings in the NFL at that time (and was even the NFC Player of the Year one year). Archie's rating that year was 81.9. In comparison the NFL MVP that year, Terry Bradshaw, his rating was 70.9.

Just a different time period then. Archie was, for a 3 year stretch, one of the best in the NFL on some plain awful teams.

How about Drew Brees at #14...what was San Diego thinking???

Any time you have mathematicians figuring out anything about football, it's a recipe for disaster. Archie played behind some really bad lines, even though I love them all. All you need to know is that Archie's peers thought he was the best qb on a losing team. I think Nfl films stated he would have been in the hall of fame if he played for a better team. All those statements are only opinion, and probably wrong since I'm on my 14th beer, but I think Archie made the pro bowl on a losing team. Pretty good. Plus, he and Olivia made a few pretty good atheletes.

Archie and Bradshaw played at a time when DB's could pretty much punch a reciever in the face and nads, and it would be legal...while offensive lineman could barely use their hands at all. It was an era of running football, when the rules really didn't favor the passing game. Quarterbacks could legally be kicked in the face and then stabbed with a bayonet, and it wasn't considered roughing the passer.

Bradshaw has always said that had he gone to the Saints and Archie gone to the Steelers, Archie would have all those Superbowl rings.

I saw Archie play a lot. For his day in the sun, Archie was better than anyone on the team. When you have an owner like John Mecom, who owned the Saints because he thought it might be fun............you just simply do not have a chance to win in the NFL. He never hired a GM with football experience.....he was more interested in what appeared to be a high profile person in the news rather than someone who understood football. His selection of coaches sucked. J.D. Roberts?? where did he come from?? He did not even understand that his kicker was about to set an NFL record (thanks Tom Dempsey) for the longest field goal on that Sunday against the Lions. We wonder why, with the exception of Jim Mora years, this team has been so bad. WE HAVE A GREAT COACH, GOOD TEAM, AND PLAYERS WHO WANT TO WIN.................WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR.....super bowl??

I know some have already said what the defensive backs could do but also there was no babying the poor QB -- he was beatne like a red headed step child. There is just no comparison between QBs today and QBs yesterday. Archie was a great QB and not only did he make the pro bowl he was offensive MVP that year.

If you factor out his interceptions and instead add in his rushing yards his rating is 10,000 million.

baqck then you could mug receivers pertyy much all the way down the field, so completion %ages were lower..no 5 yard rule

I saw a show by NFL films on Archie. It was awesome. He played on some REALLY bad teams.

The final quote of the show was something like this:

"While the debate will continue forever on which Quarterback is the best of the best....there is no doubt in history that Archie Manning was the best of the worst".

Basically implying that the only reason he isn't mentioned in the same breath as Namath, Unitas, Bradshaw, Montana, Marino etc. is because of the teams he played on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom