Archie Manning Career Passer Rating (1 Viewer)

It's like comparing home run hitters from 1969 and 1990 (even pre-steroids). Yaztrzemski won the batting title in 1969 (1970?) with an average of .301, and it was a big story all year whether the winner would hit .300. You can't compare the statistics of different eras, you've got to compare them against the players in their own era.

I don't think it's entirely fair to just say (despite Bradshaw) that Archie would have been a Super Bowl QB and/or a HOF lock if he had played with a more successful franchise; we'll never know, and it's not fair to the guys who actually won the games and made the Hall.

But we also need to let this revisionist thinking on Manning go. He was the NFC MVP, or offensive player of the year, somebody else go look it up, in 1978 or 1979. On a team without a winning record, no less. In one of the league's smallest markets. Isn't that enough to let you know the world thought he was pretty damn good in his day?

Last edited:
One of the best comments I have ever heard (I believe it was Jim Henderson).. they were talking about an Archie jersey selling on Ebay and the question came up about it being real or not.

He said "If it has blood stains on the front and grass stains on the back it's real."

Factor in the fact that if the recivers drop the ball to much Mecom would cut them,instead of letting them devolope. Archie once said in a SI interview there were times. He did not even no the receivers that came in the huddle,because Mecome had cut them so much. Also he had to draw the plays in the dirt so receivers would no what play to run.

Last edited:
I wish I would have been able to see him play, but he was before my time. I did get to meet him though so that's cool.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom