Archie Manning for those who saw him play (1 Viewer)

I watched him play from the moment he was drafted to the day he retired. All I can basically remember was that he was always running for his life. Every single passing down he was immediately pressured and chased, but mostly always completed his passes. If he had a decent line and stayed in the pocket more he would've been a great QB.

I think Steve Young is a fair comparison, but i agree more with another poster when he compared him to John Elway- Both could run and sling it.

For those of you who do not know- if you were to put Drew Brees behind Archie's OL, I am doubtful that Brees would be as effective as Archie was. Conversely, I can easily imagine Archie slinging it behind Brees' OL.

--

I would say Steve Young as well. Archie did not have Elway's warm, and Archie's instinct was more to run than throw, which is like Young. Elways was a gunslinger who could also run.

Like a combination of Joe Montana, John Elway, Steve Young, with a little sprinkle of Johnny Football on top. Except he was bigger and way faster than that, and he could throw it better than them too. Lmao, this thread rules.

Archie was 1978 MVP.

I'm pretty sure it was either Earl Campbell or Terry Bradshaw. Archie won some awards that season, but not what we would consider today's equivalent of the MVP award.

I'm pretty sure it was either Earl Campbell or Terry Bradshaw. Archie won some awards that season, but not what we would consider today's equivalent of the MVP award.

I looked it up,... Most of the MVPs handed out in 1978 went to Earl Campbell with a couple going to Terry Bradshaw. The Sporting News split conferences, so Archie won the NFC MVP Award. Still impressive for being on a losing team! :hihi:

---

I have never seen him play, but after looking at some of the clips from Youtube I think he reminds me of Jay Cutler. They both have great athletic ability, huge arms and can either stink it up or look incredible.

I got to watch Archie play...poor guy...got drafted by a bad team...had he gone to a team with an Oline...he'd have been one of the greatest....he was by far the best thing New Orleans ever had at it's time...which is why he's so admired....you picked a very good comparison of who he resembles in todays game...Jay Cutler to a "T"....but with a team attitude rather than J's attitude.....:9:

I am old enough to remember the late 70's Saints teams and Archie was my hero when I was a kid (and Pistol Pete).

He always gave 100% and took full responsibility for the Saints losses, even when he played well and the team played poorly. Thats what a leader does. He was very much like Drew Brees in that aspect.

The highest praise for Archie comes from Terry Bradshaw and Roger Staubach- 2 quarterbacks who, like Archie, played the entire 1970's decade, and I think won like 6 of the 10 Super Bowls in that decade. Both have said that had Archie been the quarterback of their team instead of them, the team would have been BETTER. Both agreed Archie's curse was playing on such a horrible team for so many years, and he got killed every week.

He is nothing like either of his sons. The closest qb I could compare him to would be Heath Shuler. He produced pretty much the same results too.

Now I remember Heath Shuler he was HORRIBLE... No way Archie has all the respect he does across the sports world if he played like that man lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom