Archie Manning Story (1 Viewer)

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm sure some on here have heard the story but I am reading the book 'The Mannings' and came across some more details on an interesting story. In the book it talks about when Archie was traded to the Oilers in the early 80s. He would train all day in Houston, fly back home after practice to be with his family in New Orleans...then he would fly out that night back to Houston. When he would arrive at the Houston airport, his backup QB at the time (Oliver) would pick him up and then basically babysit Archie's two kids for the day - Peyton and Cooper (Peyton was 6 at the time.) Oliver would take them around town for burgers, shakes, keep them entertained etc. Who would've known that Oliver Luck would not only be driving around the future Colts QB....but his then-unborn son Andrew would also eventually take over for Peyton. You can't make this stuff up.

I am surprised this story hasn't been told by the big network.
I think it was back when Luck was drafted...but not sure how many details were given. Probably more like,"He was Archie's backup in Houston..."

Last edited:
Who would've known that Oliver Luck would not only be driving around the future Colts QB....but his then-unborn son Andrew would also eventually take over for Peyton. You can't make this stuff up.

Back in my good golf playing days (my game has totally collapsed) I got paired up with a guy who claimed to be good friends with Oliver Luck....no great revelations, said they were a nice family but said something to the affect that he put a lot of pressure on his son to succeed. Not sure if true but have no reason to believe he would make it up....

During our round there were these 2 older guys behind us, and we both recognized one of them. Finally we hit a backup on a par 3 and lo and behold it was Stacy Keach......very nice guy....he said he wasn't a very good golfer but liked to play public courses....he was doing a one man play performance in the area for a few weeks....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom