Architecture question (1 Viewer)

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So my wife and I are planning a major renovation to our house here in the big woods. It's essentially a gambrel-roof barn with a daylight basement. We'd like more room and that sense of space you usually get with a barn, but which the designer of this particular place avoided like the plague.

What I'd like to do is extend the roofline out from the first angle, but I can't find any examples. Every one I see looks like this:
barn-home-3d-model-rendering-example.png

Is there a structural reason why you couldn't take that side-slope from one level higher?
Like so? (Excuse the primitive Paint editing)

Attachments

• GambrelExtension.png
    GambrelExtension.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 92
The reason it commonly is done as shown in the example is because it requires no rework of the existing roof or structure. What you are showing would mean you would either have the exposed members of the roof trusses/supports or have to restructure that part of the roof.

It's possible but it will cost you more.

The load points will make that a framing adventure. It can be done, but it's going to be expensive. Can you achieve what you want with dormers?

The load points will make that a framing adventure. It can be done, but it's going to be expensive. Can you achieve what you want with dormers?

That depends on how extensive the dormers can be. We have one on the north side of the house that has the master and upstairs baths in it.
If we can get that feeling of one big space with dormers, that'd be fine. Could they be open to the first floor?

That depends on how extensive the dormers can be. We have one on the north side of the house that has the master and upstairs baths in it.
If we can get that feeling of one big space with dormers, that'd be fine. Could they be open to the first floor?

currently you have only 2 stories in the high part of the barn roof, right?

Can you post a picture of the house?

currently you have only 2 stories in the high part of the barn roof, right?

Can you post a picture of the house?

Sure.

The lowest level is even with the ground at the back.

Attachments

• TroutpondHouseExterior1.jpg
    TroutpondHouseExterior1.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 7
Sure.

The lowest level is even with the ground at the back.

ok, i see a little shed roof over the lowest floor to the left and another little shed roof up high. Are you wanting to take your addition out on that side or the other?

Seems you should be able to carry the load from the top pitch change out as far as you like by putting two beams in and opening the space.

If that's what you're after, seems you could do it.

The two roofs you see are a carport and a dormer-thingy where the upstairs bathrooms are. I want to take it out over the other side. At least 10ft past the edge of the deck. The idea is to have a tall, open greatroom as you first enter.

If you put a beam at the current intersection of the low pitch to high pitch that's properly supported, you can carry that roof pitch out far enough to get to the exterior wall. Shouldn't be too difficult. I can't draw or I'd try, but I don't see it as being as big a deal as I first thought. You could leave the beams exposed and use SIP panels and get enough strength to span the area without having to have a ton of framing.

Right on. Thanks, dtc. The pond in the foreground will also be undergoing major changes, but that's a project for 5 yrs down the road.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom