Are 4K DVDs worth it? (1 Viewer)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Now that I have a 4K TV, I'm looking to buy a DVD player. I've seen discussion that perhaps, at this point in time, it's not quite worth it to go the 4K route on DVDs. There isn't enough difference between Blu-Ray and 4K Ultra HD DVDs to justify the costs, so said. Also, I've read that most DVDs are mastered in 2K because of all the CGI present in movies.

I don't plan on building a massive collection, but am I wrong to think that going with Blu-Ray for now would be the better route until 4K Ultra comes down in price and truly goes up in quality difference?

I have roughly 330 dvds.
Mostly regular with a few blu rays
sprinkled in. I can't tell the difference
most of the time.
I use a Sharp Aquos 52" led smart tv.
Just drink a 6 pack, they'll all look the same.

How big of a 4k TV did you buy?

4K is just increased resolution. It allows for larger screens while maintaining a sharp picture. A smaller screen has an increased pixel density and much better sharpness but you’re eyes can only see so much of that.

IMO, if you have a 50” or smaller 4K, then regular blue ray with upscaling will look fine to you. If you have larger than that, you may notice the benefits of having 4K Ultra BlueRay. I have a 65” and the difference is noticeable.

All that said, there are now many streaming services that stream in 4K. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, etc. Even though I have an XBox one with 4K capability, I rarely use it. I almost exclusively stream 4K to my TV. However I should note that I have a 1GbE connection to the house. Lower internet connection speeds could impact the quality of the video stream.

How big of a 4k TV did you buy?

4K is just increased resolution. It allows for larger screens while maintaining a sharp picture. A smaller screen has an increased pixel density and much better sharpness but you’re eyes can only see so much of that.

IMO, if you have a 50” or smaller 4K, then regular blue ray with upscaling will look fine to you. If you have larger than that, you may notice the benefits of having 4K Ultra BlueRay. I have a 65” and the difference is noticeable.

All that said, there are now many streaming services that stream in 4K. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, etc. Even though I have an XBox one with 4K capability, I rarely use it. I almost exclusively stream 4K to my TV. However I should note that I have a 1GbE connection to the house. Lower internet connection speeds could impact the quality of the video stream.
I got a 55" TCL Series 6, which I'm loving. I will probably end up getting the 4K player, just so I'll have the option of buying a 4K DVD or a Blu-ray.

I have a 135" screen with a faux 4K projector. I completely agree with rick boy about the size of your screen if you will notice a real difference. i watch a lot of football on my projector and it looks pretty good, until i watched thursday night football on the fox sports app where they stream 4K and i was blown away at the quality of the picture compared to "regular" channels. As far as 4k blu rays i notice quite a difference between regular blu ray and the 4k, but my screen size is quite a bit bigger than most.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom