Are all five O-line starters on the team currently? (1 Viewer)

Vermont Saint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I'll go first and say yes, most likely, but this is purely a guess (and I'd love to get Leary). If not, who do you see the team adding from others cuts or through trade?
And on a closely related subject, it should be remembered that the much admired and emulated Patriots undertook this same process a few years ago, moving players into different slots until they hit on a workable solution. They struggled some out of the gate. Then they won the Super Bowl. They have also been able to score plenty with an average-at-best offensive line. I'm not sure we're a goner yet.

I just hope they can get a viable offensive line put together by September 11, whatever it takes. It would not surprise me if one of the starting OL players is not currently on the roster.

if the O-line cant get fix..we better change our scheme and go into a more one to two step drop back with quick passes

if the O-line cant get fix..we better change our scheme and go into a more one to two step drop back with quick passes
You would think we would have to do more but not likely would we completely give up on what we do.

Payton has never backed off the 5 and 7 step drop passes even in the middle those disaster games against some 3-4 defense. And he'll call them from our end zone, or backed up right against it.

Live by, die by...you can almost feel the pressure induced turnover coming sometimes...

I'll go first and say yes, most likely, but this is purely a guess (and I'd love to get Leary). If not, who do you see the team adding from others cuts or through trade?
And on a closely related subject, it should be remembered that the much admired and emulated Patriots undertook this same process a few years ago, moving players into different slots until they hit on a workable solution. They struggled some out of the gate. Then they won the Super Bowl. They have also been able to score plenty with an average-at-best offensive line. I'm not sure we're a goner yet.

I posted something like this on another thread. I'd be surprised if all 5 starters are on the roster today. Armstead and Unger are the only true starters. Strief should have been gone 2 years ago but nobody can beat him out which say a lot about how weak this unit is currently. We were banking on Lelito, Kelemente, Peat, Allen or Turner. Two of the 5 would have to work out to round out our line with a weak Strief. Unfortunately, none of 5 have shown they can get the job done so far. Hopefully the light can go on for one or more of these guys.

Aren't the Saints still one of the top 10 O-lines? At least according to PFF, I think we are. I feel like there needs to be a R-E-L-A-X post in each one of these threads. We played if not the best, one of the best D-lines in the NFL. This same squad embarrassed us last year. I understand everyone's frustration, but I feel like it's partially rooted in how spoiled we have been by amazing O-line play for close to a decade.

I really think that regular season game planning and scheming will help cover some of our o-line weaknesses. I doubt they do much of that for preseason games?

I really think that regular season game planning and scheming will help cover some of our o-line weaknesses. I doubt they do much of that for preseason games?

Exactly. So much of offensive play calling is keeping a defense off balance. You play action, you change the play at the line. Throw a screen or run a draw to slow the pass rush and make them think twice. They aren't doing any of those things in preseason, because that's not what preseason is about.

Besides all that, have we ever had a bad offensive line in the SP era? I mean, a truly bad offensive line? The 2013 o-line had some pretty bad moments, I would say it's the worst we've had in that time span, but even that line was probably above average compared to the rest of the league.

Exactly. So much of offensive play calling is keeping a defense off balance. You play action, you change the play at the line. Throw a screen or run a draw to slow the pass rush and make them think twice. They aren't doing any of those things in preseason, because that's not what preseason is about.

Besides all that, have we ever had a bad offensive line in the SP era? I mean, a truly bad offensive line? The 2013 o-line had some pretty bad moments, I would say it's the worst we've had in that time span, but even that line was probably above average compared to the rest of the league.

O-line has been top half of the league since Payton got here and if 2013 is what you refer to for having bad moments then I'll take it since we were 11-5 that year. I know we've had other really bad preseason games with the o-line in the Payton era but they always seem to do pretty well in the regular season.

Edit: Yea it seems like they are even more vanilla this year with plays and are running whatever the coaches call no matter how bad it matches up with the opponent's d-line. I've noticed less play call changes at the line by the QB's.

The question becomes, "Is our OL Coach doing the Job ?". Something is not right about the OL Players currently on this 90 man roster. We have had better seasons with somebody elses Reject at OL at times. Since our OL Coach has a good resume, the blame lies flatly on the players he has to deal with. At times I though Joe Cheek played well at tackle, and for seeing Fullington for the first time at guard I thought he played well too. Apparently we need more. Jack Allen is a tough guy and I like that but he has to clean up his holding penalties.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom