Are Drew Brees’s Days As a Deep-Ball Artist Behind Him? The Ringer article (1 Viewer)

Summed7

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger. A lot of statistical evidence that paints a pretty compelling picture that I think all of us have seen with our own eyes. I'm still of the mind that we can win and win big with this current version of Drew. Is Drew as a game manager QB hard to watch compared to who he used to be? For some, a resounding yes. For me, I'll take whatever he can give and be grateful that we got to ride with him this far. It's the hero's journey from time immortal. He's bent and a little broken, but he's still my Quarterback and I will take this team against any of em...except KC and Baltimore and several others, but who cares about them!

Nolan

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
He hasn't thrown the deep ball in 3 years.. Not shooting the messenger, but it's kind of annoying to see articles like this being written. It just goes to show how little people actually pay attention and watch the games.

Whodat GT

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I heard a take from an ex safety in a recent video, saying that, as a player, what he was concerned about when playing Brees was his accuracy. Brees has never been regarded regarded has having a great arm. Is his arm still good enough though?

Saint Floyd

Who Dat
Reaction score
My goodness...

Not even for the sake of winning the game, I hope Brees throws for 400+ yards, 4 TDs, and 0 INTs on Sunday night just so this DULL speculative content stops cascading from the largely-reactionary fountain of “sports journalism”.

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
I heard a take from an ex safety in a recent video, saying that, as a player, what he was concerned about when playing Brees was his accuracy. Brees has never been regarded regarded has having a great arm. Is his arm still good enough though?
It was Mike Adams (I cant remember the show...maybe Pat McCafee show).

I saw a stat that since 2015 Brees’ avg pass has never been north of 7.1 yards, so why anyone thinks 4.9 is uncommon or rare is odd to me. He isn’t a long ball guy.

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Here's the stats behind what many of us Who Dats have not wanted to see. Brees was a long-ball bomber and he ripped the top off many defenses. His long ball cleared the way for underneath throws. These stats are hard to deny:

That year (2006), Brees led the league in passing yards and touchdowns on deep throws (defined as passes thrown to targets more than 20 yards downfield), going 32 for 58 with 14 touchdowns and three interceptions. He’d go on to lead the league in deep throw passing yards four more times (2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012), completions on deep throws four times (2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012) and touchdowns on deep throws seven times, including six straight years from 2008 to 2013.
Those old memories of long bomb after long bomb to Devery and Meach are accurate memories.

Good article OP. Thx much. And I won't shoot you. I'll leave to your wife - lol

Whodat GT

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
What Brees has definitely lost are his seam throws. He used to be a master at that. That´s hardly news, since he stopped making them maybe two years ago.

Reaction score
He hasn't thrown the deep ball in 3 years.. Not shooting the messenger, but it's kind of annoying to see articles like this being written. It just goes to show how little people actually pay attention and watch the games.
Well...there are some members of this forum who refuse to believe it's a problem. It's not always a matter of paying attention, sometimes its a simple as denial. Using objective data to confirm a subjective observation is always welcomed.

Whodat GT

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Well...there are some members of this forum who refuse to believe it's a problem. It's not always a matter of paying attention, sometimes its a simple as denial. Using objective data to confirm a subjective observation is always welcomed.

But does this offense require deep passes to work anyway? If we agree that this isn´t news, you can´t throw away the evidence that suggests that the team works fine without it. The narrative seems to suggest that without the deep ball Brees is done. Which is completely false.

Reaction score
But does this offense require deep passes to work anyway? If we agree that this isn´t news, you can´t throw away the evidence that suggests that the team works fine without it. The narrative seems to suggest that without the deep ball Brees is done. Which is completely false.
I'm willing to give it a few weeks...but Brees has not looked good the past few weeks and I don't like the idea of him wearing down as the season goes on.

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If Drew had been completing 70% of his throws the past two weeks, this kind of talk wouldn’t be so prevalent. The fact that he is missing some throws that he used to make in his sleep, is what’s causing people to look at his air yards statistics. Like Drew, I could care less about air yards. However, routine throws that are off target is a bit concerning. Not too concerning bc I think some of the timing and route running is somewhat off. So, bc of that, I don’t think the sky is falling just yet. I have a sneaky suspicion that better days are ahead

Last edited:

jeepman

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger. A lot of statistical evidence that paints a pretty compelling picture that I think all of us have seen with our own eyes. I'm still of the mind that we can win and win big with this current version of Drew. Is Drew as a game manager QB hard to watch compared to who he used to be? For some, a resounding yes. For me, I'll take whatever he can give and be grateful that we got to ride with him this far. It's the hero's journey from time immortal. He's bent and a little broken, but he's still my Quarterback and I will take this team against any of em...except KC and Baltimore and several others, but who cares about them!

Except KC, Baltimore and SEVERAL others? Doesn't sound too optimistic to me bro. Lmao

meily

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
People have this blind loyalty for Brees, so much so that the offense can be struggling from the lack of big plays and people will blame the coach, oline, kicker, strength coach or even themselves before admitting Brees just doesn't have it anymore and really hasn't had it for a few years.

meily

VIP Contributor
Reaction score

The TEAM hasn't worked fine with out it for years, taking shots down field and on seam routes is how Payton has attacked defenses, dinking and dunking the ball down the field and then blaming the defense for not being able to hold a team that can pass the ball down field is just silly. this offense is going to be easy to defend when there is no THREAT of the deep ball, its like running and offense with no run game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tom Brady now one touchdown pass behind Drew Brees’ career record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees buys luxury Canal Street condo, celebrity news site reports Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Krodwhodat Drew Brees and the Oline Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
BREENO Drew Brees has been throwing passes at receivers feet all year long. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Drew Brees improves to 4-0 against the Chargers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees on Michael Thomas suspension: “We’re going to be all good” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees addresses Michael Thomas suspension: 'We're going to be all good' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees "feel crazy" after New Orleans Saints punish Los Angeles Chargers 30-27 Week 5 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints vs. Chargers score: Drew Brees rallies New Orleans to overtime win over Justin Herbert and Los Angeles SR News Page Articles 0
What if Drew Brees has a change of heart and wants to return for 2021? Do we risk losing Jameis like we did with Teddy or do we honor Drew's wish Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 99
After facing Tom Brady, Chargers rookie Justin Herbert takes on Drew Brees, Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: Drew Brees looks to stay perfect against Chargers team that drafted him in 2001 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Week 5 Bold Predictions - Drew Brees to have a big game? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
This won’t be popular [but draft Mac Jones to replace Drew] Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 58
Looking for Drew's 2nd half/OT numbers..... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Drew Locker Room (Smack Allowed) 72
Brees Air Stats Over 10 Yards Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 50
Dan in Lafayette Saints mainstays Brees, Jordan, Morstead climbing higher in team record books SR News Page Articles 0
Saints should start Jameis over Brees during an 'easy' 4-game stretch - Domonique Foxworth Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 116
Darren B Jeff Duncan book - Payton and Brees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Marty_Graw Brees purchases Condo on Canal St Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 74
jasonsw Brees last 4 games Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 87
Dan in Lafayette Brees gratified by Sanders' rising role in Saints offense SR News Page Articles 0
Brees’ Saints somehow get win over Herbert’s Chargers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees leads 17-point rally as Saints win 'wild one' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saint Kamara Herbert should now have beaten Brees, Brady and Mahomes Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33