Are Drew Brees’s Days As a Deep-Ball Artist Behind Him? The Ringer article (1 Viewer)

But does this offense require deep passes to work anyway? If we agree that this isn´t news, you can´t throw away the evidence that suggests that the team works fine without it. The narrative seems to suggest that without the deep ball Brees is done. Which is completely false.

The TEAM hasn't worked fine with out it for years, taking shots down field and on seam routes is how Payton has attacked defenses, dinking and dunking the ball down the field and then blaming the defense for not being able to hold a team that can pass the ball down field is just silly. this offense is going to be easy to defend when there is no THREAT of the deep ball, its like running and offense with no run game.

What Brees has definitely lost are his seam throws. He used to be a master at that. That´s hardly news, since he stopped making them maybe two years ago.

Exactly, this used to be a staple of the Saints offense regardless of the defense or who the WRs were (Moore, Colston, Graham, Watson. This isn't a deep throw but it has to be thrown hard and accurate. You don't see this route completed at all anymore.

If Drew had been completing 70% of his throws the past two weeks, this kind of talk wouldn’t be so prevalent. The fact that he is missing some throws that he used to make in his sleep, is what’s causing people to look at his air yards statistics. Like Drew, I could care less about air yards. However, routine throws that are off target is a bit concerning. Not too concerning bc I think some of the timing and route running is somewhat off. So, bc of that, I don’t think the sky is falling just yet. I have a sneaky suspicion that better days are ahead

COULDN'T care less, couldn't!

Did I see someone actually type out that the offense hasn’t worked for years without the deep throw? Some of you (not all) are now just typing to type. You don’t remain in the 10 for offense if your system is ineffective.

Furthermore, we ranked higher on offense during the 2014-2016 stretch that was filled with those long balls many love so much. Guess where that got us? Nowhere fast.

Since 2017, we we’ve been a more efficient time eating offense that typically keeps our defense fresh. Quick scoring looks great on the stat sheet, but it also stresses a mediocre defense and makes them vulnerable to becoming terrible. Drew was missing throws, Monday, he typically makes. However, if he hits on those slants,(via our new bread and butter plays), we’re moving the ball efficiently down the field as we’ve been doing since ‘17. That “boring” style has helped us have the best record in football for three seasons.

I’m not saying deep throws don’t help keep the opposing defense honest. They do. But I am also saying what tends to be more demoralizing is when you can’t stop a 5 yard slant, 10yard curl or a 15 yd post and your defense can’t get off the field. How’d that feel watching our D get skulldragged with our own playbook? The Raiders killed us in TOP, because they played efficient ball. The same ball we’ve been dicing the league up with since ‘17.

My goodness...

Not even for the sake of winning the game, I hope Brees throws for 400+ yards, 4 TDs, and 0 INTs on Sunday night just so this DULL speculative content stops cascading from the largely-reactionary fountain of “sports journalism”.
Well come up with your own data to refute the article, instead of being oblivious to the
My goodness...

Not even for the sake of winning the game, I hope Brees throws for 400+ yards, 4 TDs, and 0 INTs on Sunday night just so this DULL speculative content stops cascading from the largely-reactionary fountain of “sports journalism”.
Negative but factual statistics are very difficult for fans of their favorite players to believe. The numbers do not lie. Come up with your data to refute the writer’s numbers and see what you have. But as the writer also states, it does not mean the Saints will not be successful in 2020. Facts are, Brees has very obviously declined, but COULD still be good enough to lead the Saints to a successful season.

Myself? I do not see how Drew can lead the Saints to a successful season (Super Bowl or bust), with his very limited physical abilities to throw the deeper routes.

Did I see someone actually type out that the offense hasn’t worked for years without the deep throw? Some of you (not all) are now just typing to type. You don’t remain in the 10 for offense if your system is ineffective.

Furthermore, we ranked higher on offense during the 2014-2016 stretch that was filled with those long balls many love so much. Guess where that got us? Nowhere fast.

Since 2017, we we’ve been a more efficient time eating offense that typically keeps our defense fresh. Quick scoring looks great on the stat sheet, but it also stresses a mediocre defense and makes them vulnerable to becoming terrible. Drew was missing throws, Monday, he typically makes. However, if he hits on those slants,(via our new bread and butter plays), we’re moving the ball efficiently down the field as we’ve been doing since ‘17. That “boring” style has helped us have the best record in football for three seasons.

I’m not saying deep throws don’t help keep the opposing defense honest. They do. But I am also saying what tends to be more demoralizing is when you can’t stop a 5 yard slant, 10yard curl or a 15 yd post and your defense can’t get off the field. How’d that feel watching our D get skulldragged with our own playbook? The Raiders killed us in TOP, because they played efficient ball. The same ball we’ve been dicing the league up with since ‘17.
It was because they could get over the top with a QB, that has the velocity and also the accuracy (2nd to Drew last season), that the Raiders were able to skulldrug the Saints in the passing game. The Saints secondary had to defend a much larger area of the field, than the Raiders secondary had to.

Tell me this. Is the Raiders secondary more talented than the Saints secondary?

He get get the ball over the safeties. Hasn’t been able to for some time.

Well come up with your own data to refute the article, instead of being oblivious to the

Negative but factual statistics are very difficult for fans of their favorite players to believe. The numbers do not lie. Come up with your data to refute the writer’s numbers and see what you have. But as the writer also states, it does not mean the Saints will not be successful in 2020. Facts are, Brees has very obviously declined, but COULD still be good enough to lead the Saints to a successful season.

Myself? I do not see how Drew can lead the Saints to a successful season (Super Bowl or bust), with his very limited physical abilities to throw the deeper routes.

I have no interest in generating data on this subject. The point is that a HOF quarterback—one who has completed 74% of his passes while leading his team to consecutive 13-3 seasons—deserves more than being picked apart following such a tiny sample size.

Of course Brees will show some signs of physical deterioration with each passing year, but he deserves a hell of a lot more than a two-game span before this avalanche of criticism descends (without even including the author of this article, if you’d like).

I’m not saying this might not be the beginning of the end for Brees... just that a player of his pedigree deserves a broader swath of games/attempts to clearly determine whether it is or is not.

I’ll go back to how I felt about the Mora teams. They were very well coached, didn’t make mistakes and did exceptionally well during the season. But they never had that extra level in the playoffs. I see the Saints with Brees right now the same way. He can be solid and super efficient. But he lacks an entire third of a QB skill set (deep ball) and his intermediate routes look questionable.
Where people are getting lost is the deep bombs. I’m not talking about those. I’m talking your out patterns which drag safeties away from the middle. The deep seam routes which make safeties sit back a couple extra yards. Anything out wide seems to be your WR screens or something as short as that. Those other teams expect and as soon as Kamala starts heading that way teams know what’s coming. It takes away an unpredictability in the offense.
In other words there is way more to it than simply a few bombs every so often. You don’t need them. But this whole 4-5 ypa isn’t going to get the Saints where they need to go either as we don’t have Denver’s defense nor running game to offset Manning’s last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom