Are Faine and Goodwin Free Agents? (1 Viewer)

steveohh

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
If so I would like to see the saints sign Goodwin and pass on Faine. When Faine went down Goodwin really stepped up and impressed me. I think he can really make a stronger push on the def. line. Our line in my opinion is weak. Case in point was the Philly game I think. On the one and couldnt punch it in on four plays. Faine has got to go. Just my opinion let me know what you think.

Yes they both are.

We might end up keeping both imo. The FA class for centers is incredibly weak. I bet anything Faine is considered one of the top 3 centers in the market.

Other options at C would be Chris Myers , a FA out of Denver, but like Faine is undersized.

I think Center might be our offensive lineman that we take in the draft.

Faine had one bad stretch of games when he was injured. You don't just let him go because Goodwin comes in and has one good game against Jax. Both need to be resigned. Gotta have at least two centers on the team anyway.

Faine had one bad stretch of games when he was injured. You don't just let him go because Goodwin comes in and has one good game against Jax. Both need to be resigned. Gotta have at least two centers on the team anyway.
+1. Why the hate towards Faine? We did not lose because of Faine. In 2006 he was among the saviours now he is trade bait. I hope we keep both.

I too would vote for re-signing both. We need a good center AND a good backup

Not to mention that Brees emphasized the importance of keeping Faine, and I read somewhere (maybe the Picayune) that the team had Faine as a priority.

As far as Goodwin, not only is he a good backup center, he also has the ability to play guard if we don't keep Nesbit and Alleman isn't ready to start.

They both should be back.

I'd keep both, but let it be an open compitition as to who will be the starter.

Like I said yesterday...

Goodwin is NOT a free-agent...he signed a 3 year deal in 06'. Unless his contract is voidable or the official site messed up on length of contract.

There has been a lot of debate about this. Yesterday I posted that Faine is under contract through 2009 but another poster posted links stating that Faine is a free agent.

I'm guessing that, somehow, Faine managed to void two years of his deal. How? I can't explain it.

Here's our offensive linemen who are under contract for 2008 as of February 11, 2008 according to the NFL Players Association website... http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx

<table class="tableDisplay" xmlns:rs="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:rowset" xmlns:z="#RowsetSchema" width="80%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="4">Your search returned the following players:
</td></tr><tr><td>Player Name</td><td>Position</td><td>Team</td><td align="right">Compensation</td></tr><tr><td>Alleman, Andy</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">370000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Brown, Jammal</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">752500.00</td></tr><tr><td>Bushrod, Jermon</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">370000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Duckworth, Tim</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">295000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Evans, Jahri</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">445000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Faine, Jeff</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">863750.00</td></tr><tr><td>Stinchcomb, Jon</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">1650000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Strief, Zach</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">445000.00</td></tr></tbody></table>
Note the presence of Jeff Faine and the absence of Goodwin.

Here's the list of offensive lineman who are under contract for 2009 as of February 11, 2008...

<table class="tableDisplay" xmlns:rs="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:rowset" xmlns:z="#RowsetSchema" width="80%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="4">Your search returned the following players:
</td></tr><tr><td>Player Name</td><td>Position</td><td>Team</td><td align="right">Compensation</td></tr><tr><td>Alleman, Andy</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">460000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Brown, Jammal</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">2465000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Bushrod, Jermon</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">460000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Duckworth, Tim</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">385000.00</td></tr><tr><td>Faine, Jeff</td><td>OL</td><td>NOS</td><td align="right">1026246.00</td></tr></tbody></table>
Once again, note the presence of Jeff Faine and the absence of Goodwin.

Jammal Brown is the only Saints lineman who has a contract for 2010.

Maybe the players union doesn't know what is going on and we do. I doubt it but it is possible. Maybe Faine managed to void two years of his contract. :dunno:

Faine has a contract option, and will become a FA this offseason. Goodwin is also slated to become an UFA.

I agree with the others who have said we should re-sign both guys.

I'm not crazy about Faine, but if Drew wants him back... that's hard to argue with.

Cool charts, Eeyore, thanks for looking those up. Check out Jammal's number this year compared to next. Holy cow! $752,500 to 2,465,000. Jammal is going to be a happy guy :)

Let Faine go. He can only play center. Keep Nesbit, who can play every position, and Goodwin who can play center and guard. Let those two and Alleman compete for the two spots.

They both are as far as I know but the bigger question is who do we keep. I think that we would all agree that Faine played a lot better last season but does that warrant letting him go. He had a few injury problems but he really seems to be one of those guys you would want to be in the trenches with. Goodwin reminds me of Nesbit a few years back. A great backup but at the same time is he really good enough to start.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom