Are passing stats worthless? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Huntsville Al via Placerville via Mandeville
I have a friend who says that passing stats are misleading at best and maybe worthless. Take the passing stats for yesterdays game Brees had 311 yards passing and Kolb had 391 in a losing effort. Not sure what the stats were in the Detroit game but would not be surprised if they were similar. I think this stat happens more during blowouts and the other team is in a prevent defense. Thoughts?

I'd say that the aren't worthless, but misleading.. especially in blowout games. We stopped passing as much and played really lax coverage about midway through the 3rd quarter. If this game would have been closer than 3 td's then Drew Brees would have thrown for 1-2 more TD's and atleast 80-100 more yards and Kolb would have had around 80-100 less passing yards.

Also Drew Brees only attempted 34 passes while Kolb attempted 51.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Not worthless but they certainly don't tell the entire story.

I think Brees' carreer best passing yardage game came against the Ravens when we had our ***** handed to us.

Passer rating and TD:Int ratio are much better indicators for a single game. Over a full season the full numbers are a bit more important but even then can be misleading. Billy Volek in 2006 was the perfect example. Titans defense was rebuilding and absolutely terrible. The Titans went pass crazy to try and keep up and if I'm not mistaken Volek led the league in passing the last 5 games of the season.

The one thing that isn't misleading is TD passes in a season.

1984- Dan Marino threw 48 TD passes leading the Dolphins to a 14-2 regular season record and won the AFC Championship game before losing in the SB.

1999- Kurt Warner threw for 41 TD passes leading the Rams to a 13-3 record in the regular season and going on to win the Super Bowl.

2004- Peyton Manning threw for 49 TD passes while leading the Colts to a 12-4 record and winning the division. The Colts went on to win the first playoff game before losing to New England on a very cold snowy day in New England.

2007- Tom Brady throws 50 TD passes leading the Patriots to what was probably the most dominating regular season in NFL history. The Patriots ended up winning the AFC and losing to the Giants in the SB.

I have a friend who says that passing stats are misleading at best and maybe worthless. Take the passing stats for yesterdays game Brees had 311 yards passing and Kolb had 391 in a losing effort. Not sure what the stats were in the Detroit game but would not be surprised if they were similar. I think this stat happens more during blowouts and the other team is in a prevent defense. Thoughts?

Not if they're put in the right context

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom