Are Saints Done Shopping FA Thrift Store? (1 Viewer)

YeaSaintsWin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So, the Saints didn't reach a deal with the Miami Dolphins to trade for a veteran pass rusher. And talking heads in the media still believe the Saints need to draft WRs galore to help the offense. Stop the Madness!! There is a method to the Saints front office moves.

The Cowboys got DE Robert Quinn from the Phins for a 6th Round Pick. The Saints could have surely offered that, the team has two Round#6 selections in the 2019 Draft. But adding a high-priced piece to the team may cause more problems than the trade would have solved. First, adding Quinn adds a high-priced veteran and one less roster spot for a young player. And, second, the Saints should be willing to wait and see what the draft delivers before deciding if they need a to add a veteran to the team.

The WR group has a similar problem. Of the Saints top 5 guys on the WR depth chart, two guys (Smith and Kirkwood) will be entering their second season. The Saints young WRs have size, speed and talent, but they could improve in their consistency. Drafting a rookie would not make the Saints WRs better, only younger. And, regardless of how Thomas/Ginn/Meredith are used, the team would be wise to let the Smith/Kirkwood/Austin saga play out. The Saints may add a veteran after the draft, but any drafted or UDFA rookie WR may be looking at time on the practice squad.

By contrast to the WRs, the TE room is filled with veterans and upgrade opportunities. Dan Arnold is in his second season, but Arnold/Kirkwood/Smith being on the field in a playoff game shows fans how thin the Saints were at those positions. The TEs group added a veteran and should be losing a veteran this off season.

TE and OL are the positions due for rookie reinforcement. Fans don't like to use the term "need" but any synonym I use should be no less urgent. TE and OL veterans in free agency currently not signed will be there after the draft. And getting the right guys in the draft needs to be the focus with only a few weeks before the lights are lit in Nashville.

The AAF has released its players to be signed.. good players are still available in free agency.. and the draft is later this month.. the Saints will get some players and fill some holes on the roster. Or they'll need to go back to the Free Agent Thrift Store to fill some holes. But let's be patient and wait till after the draft and after OTAs. Then we will know where we stand and what positions need to be targeted.

GO Saints!!

Last edited:
Raiders just cut Seth Roberts. He is a decent slot guy who might be able to develop a little more. Wouldn't mind seeing him brought in (if the price is right).

I think they need to grab a handful of OL and DL prospects from the AAF, remaining free agents and UDFA's.

A TE will likely come in the draft. This is a good TE draft and it's deep.

I think the Saints are still invested in Ansah, but he has a mid-April medical check that teams are waiting on. Definitely not out of the question that things pick up with him later this month. I would lean towards Buffalo being able to offer more, but I think there’s a chance he signs.

Raiders just cut Seth Roberts. He is a decent slot guy who might be able to develop a little more. Wouldn't mind seeing him brought in (if the price is right).

I think they need to grab a handful of OL and DL prospects from the AAF, remaining free agents and UDFA's.

A TE will likely come in the draft. This is a good TE draft and it's deep.

A veteran WR could be on the shopping list.. OTAs will provide some clue if Meredith is ready..

GO Saints!!

I think the Saints are still invested in Ansah, but he has a mid-April medical check that teams are waiting on. Definitely not out of the question that things pick up with him later this month. I would lean towards Buffalo being able to offer more, but I think there’s a chance he signs.

I think Ansah is a real possibility after his physical. And there may still be room for a DE project from this draft class..

GO Saints!!

I like your thought process. What if we now went out and got another good pass catching TE! It would place us in position to have two good pass catching TE on the field to be blocked as well as MT and any of the other WR plus Kamara! Hard to decide if that’s a true pass or run at the time but also hard to defend against the pass. A bonus is the protection you get if you get an injury!

We have nobody backing up William's and Bell, unless they believe Banjo is the answer there, but I would like to see them try to bring in Berry for a decent price, as a 3rd safety he wouldnt have to play much, and it could help to keep him healthy for the entire season

This is the slow time when everyone focuses on the draft. Once people can’t fill there holes in the draft FA will continue. I’m praying for Ziggy or Muhammad

Tre Boston is just sitting there in the bargain bin, and I think he’d be an awesome get

Boston is interesting. He’s a really good deep safety. He’s supposedly not great at coverage in the slot.

I think we like safeties who are versatile and can come up and guard the slot. That may be part of why we haven’t shown any interest. Not sure.

So, the Saints didn't reach a deal with the Miami Dolphins to trade for a veteran pass rusher. And talking heads in the media still believe the Saints need to draft WRs galore to help the offense. Stop the Madness!! There is a method to the Saints front office moves.

The Cowboys got DE Robert Quinn from the Phins for a 6th Round Pick. The Saints could have surely offered that, the team has two Round#6 selections in the 2019 Draft. But adding a high-priced piece to the team may cause more problems than the trade would have solved. First, adding Quinn adds a high-priced veteran and one less roster spot for a young player. And, second, the Saints should be willing to wait and see what the draft delivers before deciding if they need a to add a veteran to the team.

The WR group has a similar problem. Of the Saints top 5 guys on the WR depth chart, two guys (Smith and Kirkwood) will be entering their second season. The Saints young WRs have size, speed and talent, but they could improve in their consistency. Drafting a rookie would not make the Saints WRs better, only younger. And, regardless of how Thomas/Ginn/Meredith are used, the team would be wise to let the Smith/Kirkwood/Austin saga play out. The Saints may add a veteran after the draft, but any drafted or UDFA rookie WR may be looking at time on the practice squad.

By contrast to the WRs, the TE room is filled with veterans and upgrade opportunities. Dan Arnold is in his second season, but Arnold/Kirkwood/Smith being on the field in a playoff game shows fans how thin the Saints were at those positions. The TEs group added a veteran and should be losing a veteran this off season.

TE and OL are the positions due for rookie reinforcement. Fans don't like to use the term "need" but any synonym I use should be no less urgent. TE and OL veterans in free agency currently not signed will be there after the draft. And getting the right guys in the draft needs to be the focus with only a few weeks before the lights are lit in Nashville.

The AAF has released its players to be signed.. good players are still available in free agency.. and the draft is later this month.. the Saints will get some players and fill some holes on the roster. Or they'll need to go back to the Free Agent Thrift Store to fill some holes.

GO Saints!!
Kudos. The thread title made me think the OP was bashing the lack of high profile signings, but quite the opposite in fact. I concur.

Let others 'win' in March, I'd rather win in January / February.

Kudos. The thread title made me think the OP was bashing the lack of high profile signings, but quite the opposite in fact. I concur.

Let others 'win' in March, I'd rather win in January / February.

Agree.

There wasn’t anyone I wanted more in FA than Jared Cook. He’s exactly what this offense was missing last year.

The fact we got him and didn’t have to break the bank was what good teams do (ironic that the Patriots were the other team pushing hard for him).

Money with Quinn is not an issue. Draft choices with Quinn is not an issue. Quinn absolutely makes the defense better. I don't know why Quinn didn't end up in New Orleans, but it's not because he was "high priced". It cost the Cowboys a 2020 sixth-round draft pick and the contract this year is only for $9 million, well under what a good pass rushing DE costs these days.

Depends on the receiver. If they draft a guy like Marquise Brown, Parris Campbell, AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, etc the position room is instantly upgraded.

The Saints have been smart during free agency.

Money with Quinn is not an issue. Draft choices with Quinn is not an issue. Quinn absolutely makes the defense better. I don't know why Quinn didn't end up in New Orleans, but it's not because he was "high priced". It cost the Cowboys a 2020 sixth-round draft pick and the contract this year is only for $9 million, well under what a good pass rushing DE costs these days.

Depends on the receiver. If they draft a guy like Marquise Brown, Parris Campbell, AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, etc the position room is instantly upgraded.

The Saints have been smart during free agency.
Couldn’t agree more. Saying that we don’t need Quinn because he doesn’t make the roster younger is looking at it from the wrong angle.

Quinn makes the roster supremely more talented, and there isn’t going to be a 6th round pick that comes in here and matches his level of production. The chances of any 6th round pick on any team matching Quinn’s production is almost 0.

I value proven vets over guys in the draft all day long. There’s a reason why the draft is a crapshoot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom