Are Saints fans ready to properly support another African American QB? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was thinking about Winston leading the offense/team, I began to wonder if we have matured as a fan base to embrace another African American QB. Why even ponder such a thing? Simple.
The last time we had an African American QB starting for us (excluding Teddy) was Aaron Brooks and the Brooks era didn't go so well among the fans. I didn't include Teddy because we didn't have him for full season.

So why Brooks? Brooks started for us for close to 5 seasons, and we had a chance to experience the full up and down rollercoaster ride with him. However when Brooks struggled, he was met with a swarm of racial derogatory remarks. Don't get me wrong, Brooks deserved his fair share of criticism but those remarks did not deserve to be racially charged.

While thinking about the treatment Brooks received, I started to wonder if any other African American QBs that played for us received that type of treatment. Come to find out we had no other starting QB to go off of.
Jeff Blake wasn't around long enough, and Adrian McPherson left a heck of a memory with us. I consulted with one of my seasoned Saints fans on who else played for us that was African American, he told me about a guy named Joe Gilliam that went by "Jefferson Street Joe". He did mention that he only played in preseason, so that wasn't enough info to go off of.

As a fanbase, do you feel that we have matured from the Aaron Brooks days to properly support another African American QB if he struggles?

Please read my sticky at the top of the board, which is copied/quoted below. Even though it is Saints related, it was not necessary to post this topic, and note that my statement included "sociopolitical" discussion.

Though I am leaving this thread up for information purposes (as I wanted to make this point), this thread is closed.

For transparency, I respectfully request that the mod team delete such topics posted on the SSF board as soon as they are seen. If uncertain, soft delete it and send me a PM for review. Depending on the degree of the violation, offenders should be issued warnings, or infractions, and even banned if the violation is part of the users pattern of posting.

There is no real diplomatic way to put this, so I will be blunt...

The SSF is a politics free zone.

Unless it involves the Saints and it is absolutely necessary to discuss it (For example the recent Brees statement over flag kneeling issue was necessary for discussion), do not post anything that will lead to partisan bickering on this board. If you do see someone else post anything political. Do not respond. Report it instead.

The current political climate is far too divisive, and the members are far too polarized and entrenched to carry on either political or sociopolitical discussions without it devolving into partisan bickering on this board. That has been proven here. It also pits Saints fan against Saint fan, and that runs counter to what this site is about. The staff here is worn out with it. I am worn out with it. The work requirements of managing and moderating all of the political posts is simply too much! Not to mention the sheer damage it has done, and is doing to the community. Many members come here to get away from politics, and I am in that number.

Keep this board free of politics. Report any posts that go against this policy.

I appreciate your cooperation on this matter.

-Andrus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom