Are Saints fans ready to properly support another African American QB? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care if the QB is a yellow minion as long as he is good at his job.

that’s a big part of the issue though

What happens when the QB is bad at his job?

What are the social media posts when the QB throws 4 interceptions including the loss clinching pick 6?

any quarterback doing that will get ripped to shreds online.

the problem is when a black QB doing that gets ripped to shreds plus a lot of racist comments on top of that

Last edited:
Response to the OP....I don't recall AB getting that kind of heat.

AB got heat because he was out there looking crazy at times doing the unthinkable and having an "oh well" disposition while doing it.

As far as this fanbase.....they go after ALL QB's when they stink up the joint.

I do recall the fanbase cheering when one of our QB's went down at home on MNF decades ago under Mora.....it's serious business playing QB over in these parts boss, no matter what you look like!

When I was thinking about Winston leading the offense/team, I began to wonder if we have matured as a fan base to embrace another African American QB. Why even ponder such a thing? Simple.
The last time we had an African American QB starting for us (excluding Teddy) was Aaron Brooks and the Brooks era didn't go so well among the fans. I didn't include Teddy because we didn't have him for full season.

So why Brooks? Brooks started for us for close to 5 seasons, and we had a chance to experience the full up and down rollercoaster ride with him. However when Brooks struggled, he was met with a swarm of racial derogatory remarks. Don't get me wrong, Brooks deserved his fair share of criticism but those remarks did not deserve to be racially charged.

While thinking about the treatment Brooks received, I started to wonder if any other African American QBs that played for us received that type of treatment. Come to find out we had no other starting QB to go off of.
Jeff Blake wasn't around long enough, and Adrian McPherson left a heck of a memory with us. I consulted with one of my seasoned Saints fans on who else played for us that was African American, he told me about a guy named Joe Gilliam that went by "Jefferson Street Joe". He did mention that he only played in preseason, so that wasn't enough info to go off of.

As a fanbase, do you feel that we have matured from the Aaron Brooks days to properly support another African American QB if he struggles?
One post and makes everyone bite on it and he hasn't replied to anything . To me , this post is just a racist statement on an awesome fanbase website that loves the N.O. Saints no matter what color they are just as long as they are a team that is winning
and support them even when they are losing ! My bad , now he has replied , LOL .

I've chosen to bite my tongue on most of these QB threads, but I feel I should share my thought process about all of this with the OP. I'd prefer not to make this about Winston vs. Taysom or black QB vs. white QB, but since that is the most relevant comparison for the purposes of this post, I will use it as an example.

When I think about what encompasses a "franchise quarterback", the first attributes that come to mind are talent, leadership on and off the field, make-up and maturity to be the true face of a franchise, and a passion for and love of the game. Drew set those standards here incredibly high and, though it's unfair to expect the next Saints "franchise quarterback" to be cast in his likeness, it IS fair to expect that QB to possess those attributes.

ON-FIELD CONCERNS -- HILL:
- Needs improvement in seeing the whole field, reading his keys and going through a full field of progressions.
- Turnovers, specifically fumbles, were an issue last season in his time as a starter.
- Deep ball accuracy needs more consistency.
- Needs to get Kamara involved more.
- Etc, etc.

ON-FIELD CONCERNS -- WINSTON:
- Needs to improve decision-making and learn when to live for another down/series.
- Turnovers, specifically the head-scratcher interceptions.
- Learn when to use his arm as an asset and when to check it down or throw it away.
- Some of his on-field behavior has been immature and questionable.
- Etc, etc.

OFF-FIELD CONCERNS -- HILL:
- I've got nothing here.

OFF-FIELD CONCERNS -- WINSTON:
- Long list of immature and questionable behavior (stealing crab legs, jumping on a table and yelling sexual profanities, rape allegation, etc).
- I want to note here that it seems he is on his way to maturing and has shown the hard work this offseason that you'd like to see and he deserves credit for that.

In my heart of hearts, do I think our next franchise QB is in the building? No I do not. Do I hope he is? Sure.

I'm about in the middle politically, so I tend to vote for who I feel is the best man. Training camp/preseason play being equal between the two, if we are to judge a man not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character, then I'd have to cast my vote for Taysom in this particular race (no pun intended). If that makes me and any other fan who is of a similar train of thought a racist, then I'm not sure I understand what racism is.

Like all things in life, there are bad apples, here and elsewhere, so your point is not moot.

Last edited:
RS I know your post was in good faith and I understand the question. I have to say, though, that I truly believe that Saints fans all over the Country don't even think about the color of a QB in the NFL today. We are long long past those days when some uninformed fans may have considered a players race when evaluating him. We all want to win and have a QB who can lead this team and that is all that counts. Winston will rise or fall on his production on the field - noting that I do believe he is going to be a success as a Saint!
Thanks for the response. I get that it is tough to emotionally get past what the perceived angle on what this post is, but it is indeed a fair question.
The question is if Winston struggles, will the racial derogatory remarks comes out for him like they once were in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom