Are the new generation of Saints fans spoiled? (1 Viewer)

Gentilly504

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Since 2006(Sean and Brees era) the Saints never went below 7-9. You have a lot of young people who never lived through the 80s/90s bag years. Only few good years was the Mora era. Could they been able to handle and stick through those rough years? I wonder how some of the young fans who only witness Payton era would fair if living through paper bags years.

Can’t speak for the younger generation since I’m 40,

But some fans (myself including) realize how rare and fleeting these chances to make a Super Bowl run are. So when we’ve got one, any factor that can significantly lessen the chances can be more crushing.

A loss to a bad team (like Atlanta) or a significant injury (Lattimore) hurt a bit more now than they did during the More, Ditka and Haslett days because it can significantly impact your chance at homefield.

Yeah but I can't say much. I was too young to remember the Mora era. I barely remember the Ditka years. Most of Haslett wasn't horrible. Plenty of disappointment but they were competitive. 2005 was the exception but I wasn't keeping up with football much that year.

I’ll admit I am. I started watching the Saints in 2000 when I was 9, so 2005 was the bottom. Besides that, the worst season has had at least 7 wins.

1*xm44zSx3EyiKIQPVAoEMBQ.gif

My oldest is 19 and youngest is 15. Yes, they're spoiled by the Saints success. They're spoiled by having a future HoFer at QB for all of their sports conscious lives. Meanwhile, their friends that are Cowboy fans have never seen their team win, or even be in, a Super Bowl. :)

But some fans (myself including) realize how rare and fleeting these chances to make a Super Bowl run are. So when we’ve got one, any factor that can significantly lessen the chances can be more crushing.

A loss to a bad team (like Atlanta) or a significant injury (Lattimore) hurt a bit more now than they did during the More, Ditka and Haslett days because it can significantly impact your chance at homefield.
I think this would be the right response if we lost a playoff game to, say, Minnesota at the last second. But a mid-season regular season game? Where we still have the division lead? I think it's an overreaction.

On the contrary, it should remind you just how difficult it is for any NFL team to win on Sunday and relish the fact that the Saints have been to TWO consecutive NFCCG, and are positioning themselves for a 3rd.

There wasnt even a whisper of HFA during the Mora, Ditka and Haslett years. It was simply PLEASE win just ONE playoff game. ( shoot, the Jim Henderson call for our one PLAYOFF win under Haslett told you all you needed to know to that point )

When the younger generation know nothing BUT success, it makes it that much harder to accept a loss. Its almost incomprehensible to them. I also believe there is an "identity" built between fan and team. Anything they can latch on to that resembles something to them personally ( underdog, etc ) makes then a fanatic. So a loss is then personal, not simply entertainment any longer.

Had a long convo on this last night w/ long time friend. We used to be SAME EXACT WAY. Only difference? There was no Saintsreport, or Facebook or Twitter to vent. We simply had the Saints blues ( post loss ) at work for a day or so. Then moved on. Now? it can be hashed and rehashed for as long as someone responds to a post, tweet or thread.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom