FA Are the Saints Better or Worse Since FA Started? ~ Barry Hirstius (1 Viewer)

I think Tom will be the new starting Center and Easton is the top backup at both Guard and Center.

I think Murray might be actually be better on the field and in this offense than Ingram, but Ingram was such a great teammate and leader, that will be the big loss.

I think Kirky will take a significant step forward this coming season, and will secure the #2 WR spot going forward. The addition of Cook at TE will help MT13, AK41, and Kirky.

You don't sign an interior lineman that did not play in 2018 to a 4-year $24 million deal to be your top backup. He's starting; bank on it.

I believe we will be better as a team with some of these new players. Easton looks to be a lateral move to replace Unger. Cook will be a major upgrade at TE. The DT we sign, I forgot his name, is an upgrade from Davison, though I wish we would re-sign him or Bromley for more depth at the NT position. Hopefully we can get either Quinn or Ansah to bolster the DE rotation and we have a very successful FA crop this season. These are very smart moves.

You don't sign an interior lineman that did not play in 2018 to a 4-year $24 million deal to be your top backup. He's starting; bank on it.

This is correct, or at least partially correct. We're paying Easton starter money, he's taking up starter cap space, and it's a 4 year commitment. (at least a 2 year commitment, we still haven't seen how his contract is structured). That obviously means we have a starting grade on him and that our vision for him is as a starter.

Now, it Tom and/or Clapp make a leap and pass him up on the depth chart... so be it. We will start and play the best 5 OL. At that point, the debate will be whether Easton was a bust or if Tom and/or Clapp was an unexpected surprise. Sort of like Bell / K. Coleman played out last year. Either result is good for us, good for the team.

Don't forget we added Marcus Sherels. He's averaging 10.5 yds a return which is one less first down we have to get. That will play huge in special teams and for the offense.

I believe we will be better as a team with some of these new players. Easton looks to be a lateral move to replace Unger. Cook will be a major upgrade at TE. The DT we sign, I forgot his name, is an upgrade from Davison, though I wish we would re-sign him or Bromley for more depth at the NT position. Hopefully we can get either Quinn or Ansah to bolster the DE rotation and we have a very successful FA crop this season. These are very smart moves.

Easton could easily be a real upgrade for what Unger would've been this season had he not retired. Unger himself said that he did not believe his body could make it through another season. That statement along with his obvious drop off down the stretch last year makes me think that Unger could've become a liability at some point in 2019. If Easton even comes close to living up to his contract #'s, We'll be fine.

The DT who's name you can't remember is Brown... tough name to remember, lol. We played last season with two NT's (1-techs) and two DTs (3-techs). That's about as many interior D-linemen as you can carry on a 53 man roster. At some point, it becomes about cost vs production. Keeping Davison will cost a lot more than Stallworth. Stallworth's production isn't that far behind what we've gotten from Davison. If you're getting near the same production as a fraction of the cost, that's the player you keep. The cap room you save can be used to bolster another position where you're not getting the same bargain.

Ingram > Murray
Unger > Easton

Davison < Brown
Lewis < Sherels

Watson < Cook
Okafor < Quinn

Hopefully we can get the deals done for Cook and Quinn, then we are definitely a better team.

Ingram > Murray
Unger > Easton

Davison < Brown
Lewis < Sherels

Watson < Cook
Okafor < Quinn

Hopefully we can get the deals done for Cook and Quinn, then we are definitely a better team.

In my opinion, for the role that either will or would've played in our offense this year, that Ingram = Murray.
That immediately changes if AK has to sit out any length of time. In that case I agree that Ingram > Murray.
But barring that, both guys are excellent pass-pro, about the same receiving, and good for 700-800 yards and 6 to 8 TDs

Unger in his prime was one of the best Centers in the game. He really hasn't been that for a while, especially towards the end of seasons. Its doubtful that Eason (or many centers) would ever be > Unger. However, I think that it's very possible that Easton could prove to be an upgrade to what Unger has been lately. If nothing else, he could easily be > than what Unger would have been this year.

I'm with you on Quinn. He is the one defensive player I've wanted this year, ever since I heard that it was a possibility. Cook was the offensive player.

In my opinion, for the role that either will or would've played in our offense this year, that Ingram = Murray.
That immediately changes if AK has to sit out any length of time. In that case I agree that Ingram > Murray.
But barring that, both guys are excellent pass-pro, about the same receiving, and good for 700-800 yards and 6 to 8 TDs

Unger in his prime was one of the best Centers in the game. He really hasn't been that for a while, especially towards the end of seasons. Its doubtful that Eason (or many centers) would ever be > Unger. However, I think that it's very possible that Easton could prove to be an upgrade to what Unger has been lately. If nothing else, he could easily be > than what Unger would have been this year.

I'm with you on Quinn. He is the one defensive player I've wanted this year, ever since I heard that it was a possibility. Cook was the offensive player.
I agree on all accounts.

Ingram > Murray
Unger > Easton

Davison < Brown
Lewis < Sherels

Watson < Cook
Okafor < Quinn

And hopefully Easton and Murray are a wash. Dare I say even an improvement.

Mario Edwards could be good for 4 or 5 sacks or more.

We should also see improvement from several players. Taysom Hill should take another leap in production and really put on a show.

Kirkwood, Smith, Arnold, Carr, Williams, Meredith, even Kamara and Michael Thomas could improve which surely scares other teams to death. Adding Cook makes this offense 2011 style record breaking lethal.

On the defensive side...
Jordan
Davis
Latimore
Apple
Bell
Williams
Davenport
Brown
Edwards
Stallworth
Klein
Robertson
Rankins
Onyemata
PJ, Crawley and P-rob needs to be figured out. Hopefully one of them is amazing for us this season.

That's all good to great players on defense with another year in the same system. If we get Quinn, opposing coaches will crap themselves.

I would say the #62 pick is BPA of course but OL and DB depth are the only spots you could consider needs.
There's really no spots that don't already have a starter and backup which is insane.

For me it all comes down to how does Brees arm hold up thru the season. It isn't talked about very much but he had no arm the last qtr of the season and into the playoffs. I hope it was an injury that he is now recovered from vs' old man fatigue.

And hopefully Easton and Murray are a wash. Dare I say even an improvement.

Mario Edwards could be good for 4 or 5 sacks or more.

We should also see improvement from several players. Taysom Hill should take another leap in production and really put on a show.

Kirkwood, Smith, Arnold, Carr, Williams, Meredith, even Kamara and Michael Thomas could improve which surely scares other teams to death. Adding Cook makes this offense 2011 style record breaking lethal.

On the defensive side...
Jordan
Davis
Latimore
Apple
Bell
Williams
Davenport
Brown
Edwards
Stallworth
Klein
Robertson
Rankins
Onyemata
PJ, Crawley and P-rob needs to be figured out. Hopefully one of them is amazing for us this season.

That's all good to great players on defense with another year in the same system. If we get Quinn, opposing coaches will crap themselves.

I would say the #62 pick is BPA of course but OL and DB depth are the only spots you could consider needs.
There's really no spots that don't already have a starter and backup which is insane.
When was the last time we had this many talented starters and quality depth on our defense and offense that we have to cut good players. This used to be a team that free agents didn't want to come to and now they want to come here and play for a contender. It's amazing and I love it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom