Are the Saints the best organization in the NFL? (1 Viewer)

I think when you have an elite QB for so many years and you have to keep kicking the can down the road with their salary so much, it’s expected that you have a down year and lose other talent when you finally go separate ways. To field a team capable of what they did Sunday in the year after cutting ways with one of those salaries, is nothing short of miraculous. I think that top to bottom, we do have the best staff in football right now and it’s not really close. Next man up philosophy is a great one but not many teams can keep pumping in the talent to make it work for long. We are making it work.

To be one of the best organizations, imo, you need to withstand the turnover whenever a major part of a franchise leaves. Thats why I wouldn’t put a team like the Bucs on the list when they won in ‘02 but completely fell off the map for eighteen years.
The Steelers are the gold standard for me. Only three coaches in the last fifty years. Each a HOFer in their own right.
I think it’s too early to tell since it’s only been one game post Brees, but I’m very optimistic about the future and this season.

CSP is second to none as a coach. Super Bowls do not reflect accurately.
Especially when you consider the reasons why we missed out on several opportunities to play in more of them the last few years.

I use to be envious of the Ravens and Ozzie Newsome. I think he was the gold standard for a front office guy for a long time before he moved into more of a consultant role with their team. Loomis, Ireland, and crew are right up there now as the best.

I use to be envious of the Ravens and Ozzie Newsome. I think he was the gold standard for a front office guy for a long time before he moved into more of a consultant role with their team. Loomis, Ireland, and crew are right up there now as the best.
It’s crazy to think Loomis has been here since 02. Even pre Payton/Brees.

Trying to remember the timeline ... did Loomis work under Randy Meuller and/or Arnie Fielkow for a little bit? Or did Loomis come in after one or both of those guys were gone?

I remember having a lot of stock in Randy Meuller's ability to build up the roster, and it seemed to be working for a time. Then the Haslett Saints kind of hit a brick wall, Meuller moved on, the Katrina season, etc. Kind of a muddle of memories.

Do you know that if you type in "Mickey Loomis" in a Google search box, his picture pops up and it says "Soccer manager" under his name :D Someone British at the wheel for that one, I presume.

Trying to remember the timeline ... did Loomis work under Randy Meuller and/or Arnie Fielkow for a little bit? Or did Loomis come in after one or both of those guys were gone?

I remember having a lot of stock in Randy Meuller's ability to build up the roster, and it seemed to be working for a time. Then the Haslett Saints kind of hit a brick wall, Meuller moved on, the Katrina season, etc. Kind of a muddle of memories.
Loomis was the director of football administration from 00-01 and was promoted to GM in 02 when Meuller went to the Dolphins.

Even earlier than that according to his bio on the Saints website:

While his responsibilities have grown during his tenure with the Saints, Loomis has been a key figure in the highest management circle of the organization since arriving in 2000. Loomis joined the club as director of football administration, a post he held until 2002, handling contract negotiations, managing the salary cap and coordinating different areas of the football operations.

That means he was definitely here with Meuller. In fact, Loomis had been with Seattle for 17 seasons and it looks like Meuller poached him from the Seahawks to bring him to New Orleans:

Prior to arriving in New Orleans, Loomis spent 15 years with the Seattle Seahawks, including as executive vice president from 1992-98. He joined the Seahawks in October, 1983, was promoted to vice president/finance in 1990 and to Executive Vice President in 1992.

EDIT: Or ... what Saint Jack said :)

I wouldn't want any other coach in the league. I wouldn't want any other talent evaluators in the league.

The only thing that set back the Saints was the bounty stuff and that was unwarranted.

We've got no receivers. Sure. We're short on depth at many defensive positions, Sure.

Undrafted stars showing up galore, amazing.

We have one star player playing on offense (Kamara) and we score 38, just so impressive. A bunch of folks this Saints fan has hardly heard of and they play lights out, amazing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom