Are The Saints Thinking Super Bowl? (1 Viewer)

YeahSaintsWin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I called him the "most important" player on the team. Now, Teddy Bridgewater is the projected starting QB for a division rival. When I see the team moving away from a proven starter to pay Drew Brees for two more declining years, I wonder are the Saints thinking Super Bowl or is Loomis and SP just spending Gale Benson's money?

If the Patriots didn't keep Tom Brady, then you know they are looking to their future. The longer a QB plays, the more his arm weakens and the team has to change what they do on offense to help him out. The Patriots were not willing to make life easy for a 20-year player and 6-time SB Champ; but, the Saints, aren't thinking about winning or returning to the Super Bowl. The Saints are accommodating Drew Brees and promoting Taysum Hill.

The Saints aren't looking for a speed WR2 to open routes underneath for Michael Thomas. SP doesn't care that he'll need more gadgets to keep his offense productive. And selling Taysum Hill as a starting QB in a division that just got rid of two starting QBs is the cup of koolaide no one should be sipping.

I get it. Drew is a sports icon and loved by the fans. But football is a business, too. And no one believes it's good business to give in to fans. Even if those fans are a head coach and general manager. Payton's comment that the Saints next starting QB is in the building is not a testament to Hill's ability. The HC can start anyone at QB, including Taysum Hill. But what is the projection, total wins, for Hill in a season?

Can Hill out duel Bridgewater, Ryan and Brady six times each year? The NFL is a business. And when teams start an un-proven QB, you don't expect them to win. The expectation is that you will have down years while the guy develops. Drew, Sean and Mickey all know what they are doing to the Saints team and they all know that them being "fans" is costing the Saints and closing the Super Bowl window..

GO Saints!!

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Let's just see how the Pats do without Brady. They won't win that division this year and will miss the playoffs. We, on the other hand, will win our division. Teddy is not the all Star many of you think he is. He needs a strong supporting cast to be successful.

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I called him the "most important" player on the team. Now, Teddy Bridgewater is the projected starting QB for a division rival. When I see the team moving away from a proven starter to pay Drew Brees for two more declining years, I wonder are the Saints thinking Super Bowl or is Loomis and SP just spending Gale Benson's money?
That you may call Teddy Bridgewater the most important player on the team doesn't mean that your statement is correct.

It has been discussed many times on long threads during the offseason. It is clear that the saints have the clear goal of winning the Super Bowl next season.

Having this goal is not forbidding the team to plan about the future. And some decisions have already been made.

It is obvious from day 1 that the saints wanted Drew back. They said it many times around Super Bowl week. They also discussed about the plan they have for replacing Drew after this year, and the choice I think has already been made.

Bringing Teddy back would have been an expensive decision. A decision the team was not comfortable taking.

26ISTHEMAN

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
So you conclude that CSP and Loomis are not thinking Super Bowl because they chose Drew over Teddy? I can probably count on one hand the number of people who thought Teddy was the most important player on the team last year. Yeah, he stepped in and kept our season alive, but those 5 wins were total team wins.

I, for one, am excited at the prospect of Taysum taking over for Drew when he retires. Until then, I'll enjoy every game Drew is our QB.

Marty_Graw

Don't Rain on My Parade
Reaction score
As much as I want it to happen, the NFC has gotten too strong. I'd love to see it come to fruition, but I cannot see it happening.

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
I think it's All In this year for the Saints this year. Our cap is a mess going forward with tons of dead money and young stars to sign next year. SP must believe he has another run with this team before a rebuild.

Deucewildin

Rookie
Reaction score

If the Patriots didn't keep Tom Brady, then you know they are looking to their future. The longer a QB plays, the more his arm weakens and the team has to change what they do on offense to help him out. The Patriots were not willing to make life easy for a 20-year player and 6-time SB Champ; but, the Saints, aren't thinking about winning or returning to the Super Bowl. The Saints are accommodating Drew Brees and promoting Taysum Hill.

The Saints aren't looking for a speed WR2 to open routes underneath for Michael Thomas. SP doesn't care that he'll need more gadgets to keep his offense productive. And selling Taysum Hill as a starting QB in a division that just got rid of two starting QBs is the cup of koolaide no one should be sipping.

I get it. Drew is a sports icon and loved by the fans. But football is a business, too. And no one believes it's good business to give in to fans. Even if those fans are a head coach and general manager. Payton's comment that the Saints next starting QB is in the building is not a testament to Hill's ability. The HC can start anyone at QB, including Taysum Hill. But what is the projection, total wins, for Hill in a season?

Can Hill out duel Bridgewater, Ryan and Brady six times each year? The NFL is a business. And when teams start an un-proven QB, you don't expect them to win. The expectation is that you will have down years while the guy develops. Drew, Sean and Mickey all know what they are doing to the Saints team and they all know that them being "fans" is costing the Saints and closing the Super Bowl window..

GO Saints!!
You can’t be serious right ?
Drew just arguably had his most efficient season and you think Teddy is better than him?
Not in this world, universe or galaxy even in 5 years Bridgewater wouldn’t be better than Brees.

Brees just needs Payton to give him a balanced playbook and play calling and watch how we break records .

Drew connects with Ginn on 4-5 of those deep ball throws were not even having this conversation.
Sanders is going to improve that as a lot of people. Are looking at him as just a slot WR

Sanders is a #1 WR on more than 16 teams in the NFL if he wason there roster he can play the #1 #2 or #3 at high levels

Deucewildin

Rookie
Reaction score
We have the Best team on paper in the NFL right now and still not done

WR,LB, QB3, Pass rusher, CB

Add depth at each of the above positions via the draft and FA and this may be one of the strongest team we’ve ever assembled.

I have faith in Loomis , Payton and Drew

OP
YeahSaintsWin

YeahSaintsWin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Let's just see how the Pats do without Brady. They won't win that division this year and will miss the playoffs. We, on the other hand, will win our division. Teddy is not the all Star many of you think he is. He needs a strong supporting cast to be successful.

I believe you are right.. Teams don't win with a 40yo QB unless he is special. Brady and Brees are special. But, in the NFL, even "special" has an expiration date.

GO Saints!!

OP
YeahSaintsWin

YeahSaintsWin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
That you may call Teddy Bridgewater the most important player on the team doesn't mean that your statement is correct.

It has been discussed many times on long threads during the offseason. It is clear that the saints have the clear goal of winning the Super Bowl next season.

Having this goal is not forbidding the team to plan about the future. And some decisions have already been made.

It is obvious from day 1 that the saints wanted Drew back. They said it many times around Super Bowl week. They also discussed about the plan they have for replacing Drew after this year, and the choice I think has already been made.

Bringing Teddy back would have been an expensive decision. A decision the team was not comfortable taking.

We can call the QB Room for the Saints whatever we like but this is consensus. First, fans generally say that TB went 5-0 because the team played better as a team with Teddy at QB. Can someone explain what's wrong with the team playing "better"?

Next, we all know that the more film you have on a QB, the harder you can make life for him. More than a few DC have solved Drew Brees with pressure up the middle and limiting his vision in the pocket. Drew isn't throwing 50-yard bombs these days and a 6yd-per-completion average won't get you a first down on 3rd and 10yds..

Finally, you say the team plays better for Teddy than they play with Drew and no one is saying they play well with Taysum. And you think Bridgewater was not important to the locker room? Explain that?

GO Saints!!

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We can call the QB Room for the Saints whatever we like but this is consensus. First, fans generally say that TB went 5-0 because the team played better as a team with Teddy at QB. Can someone explain what's wrong with the team playing "better"?

Next, we all know that the more film you have on a QB, the harder you can make life for him. More than a few DC have solved Drew Brees with pressure up the middle and limiting his vision in the pocket. Drew isn't throwing 50-yard bombs these days and a 6yd-per-completion average won't get you a first down on 3rd and 10yds..

Finally, you say the team plays better for Teddy than they play with Drew and no one is saying they play well with Taysum. And you think Bridgewater was not important to the locker room? Explain that?

GO Saints!!
I am sorry, I don't understand your point or how it is related to mine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Andrus Emmanuel Sanders is building chemistry with Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints offense SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus 5 things to watch for as the Saints begin the practice portion of camp SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints WR Emmanuel Sanders opens up about relationship with Drew Brees SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints long snapper Zach Wood retests negative, still in COVID-19 protocol SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints add depth at LB, sign vet free agent Nigel Bradham SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints salary cap space update after the latest signings and opt-outs SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints to activate linebacker Kaden Elliss from reserve/COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints announce roster moves SR News Page Articles 0
Saints announce signing of LB Nigel Bradham, activate LB Kaden Eliss from COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints linebacker Kaden Ellis cleared from COVID-19 list, long snapper Zach Wood to be cleared pending second negative test Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Saints LB Kaden Elliss to be reinstated from reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
CSC Podcast: Saints Sign Bradham, Fowler and Waive Ten Players Saints RSS News Feeds 0
4 weeks Saints Latavius Murray could be worth starting in fantasy football Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Projecting the Tight Ends to make the Saints 53-Man Roster in 2020 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Saints head to Chicago in Week 8 against a quarterback TBD Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Will 'playing with fire' finally burn Saints when salary cap plummets? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints place LB Kaden Eliss, long snapper Zach Wood on COVID-19/reserve list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints place LS Zach Wood, LB Kaden Elliss on reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
COVID-19 deadline has passed with no additional Saints opting out Saints RSS News Feeds 0
2 Saints players put on Covid-19 list Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 61
Andrus Why Saints' Marcus Davenport will have a T.J. Watt-type edge rusher breakout season in 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus The Jenkins Effect: Veteran DBs' positive impact on the Saints Defense SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Projecting the Saints 53-Man Roster: Running Backs SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Inside Look: Saints Media Day 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Do the Saints really need to add another defensive lineman? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
After Drew Brees, how many current Saints could reach Hall of Fame? Six others, ESPN writer says Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bruce Arians: Clock is ticking for Buccaneers to get ready for opener against Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: Saints being proactive by renting Loews Hotel for players, staff during camp Saints RSS News Feeds 0
No Saints coaches have chosen to opt out, Sean Payton says Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Unsurprisingly, Saints aren't an odds-on favorite to sign Antonio Brown SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Craig Robertson impressed by Saints rookies Zack Baun, Joe Bachie SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Top 2020 training camp battles for Saints: Backup quarterback, receiver and tight end all question marks SR News Page Articles 0
El Caliente Do the Saints have the best trio of Safeties? Do the Saints have the best DB Unit? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
Saints QB Drew Brees may be 41, but his downfield numbers are 'still strong,' Sean Payton says Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saintsphere NFL.com does ceiling and floor for every team. Saints ceiling: 15-1; floor: 10-6. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 14
Why the New Orleans Saints could win it all, Part VIII: Cornerbacks Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints LB Demario Davis, punter Thomas Morstead virtual press conferences Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Former Saints coordinator Gregg Williams will be a head coach again Saints RSS News Feeds 0
RedJem Saints Training Camp / Daily Updates 8-5-20 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 13
Saints promote Terry Fontenot to assistant G.M. of pro personnel Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints promote Terry Fontenot to Vice President/Assistant GM of Pro Personnel Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus 2020 NFL Team Preview Series: New Orleans Saints SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints' Cam Jordan welcomes Tom Brady — 'the second-greatest QB of all time' — to NFC South SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints won't benefit from NFL adding salary cap space due to COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Cameron Jordan talks trash to Tom Brady, but can the Saints back it up? SR News Page Articles 0
Why the New Orleans Saints could win it all, Part VII: Linebackers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Why the Saints are uniquely prepared for this offseason adversity Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints cut defensive tackle Taylor Stallworth Saints RSS News Feeds 0
RedJem Saints Training Camp / Daily Updates 8-4-20 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 12
Film Study: Nigel Bradham’s coverage skills provide Saints with solid depth Saints RSS News Feeds 0