Are the Taysom Hill at QB plays becoming less effective? (1 Viewer)

FootballLady

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
In the first series, which I know is largely scripted, Drew came out and Taysom came in. Tampa sent a corner blitz and blew up the play, sacking Hill for a big loss. Is this just a function of Tampa's familiarity with the Saints or are the gimmick plays at QB no longer as effective as they used to be? It feels like the latter to me, but I'm open to being persuaded otherwise.

Simply looked like Taysom not recognizing the blitz & changing the protection. As long as Payton mixes it up they will be effective. Sweep, RPO, Pass, straight handoff and Play action. Make teams worry about everything and it’ll always work.

It was just one play. I was thinking it was called at the wrong time, even before it happened. It took the rhythm out of the drive. Personally I thought Taysom, as a quarterback himself, should of recognize it right away and should of start running.

It was just one play. I was thinking it was called at the wrong time, even before it happened. It took the rhythm out of the drive. Personally I thought Taysom, as a quarterback himself, should of recognize it right away and should of start running.

Are you suggesting that the gadget plays not be scripted and called upon more situationally?

To me if feels like its obvious what the play is going to be. QB run

Granted I know he throws every once in awhile but to me it doesn't seem like enough for any opposing team to not sell out for a Taysom run.

But that might be the long term genius of Payton come playoffs ......gotcha thinking run when now its a pass.

I think a lot of it is to put film out there so they can cash in on a big play in that type of formation in the playoffs. Show one thing now and lull people to sleep with the bigger implications

there's really no way to tell on such a small sample size
let's say Taysom plays are 65% effective overall
if you run 3 plays per game, some games can seem like they are 0% effective and others will show 100% effective

Great point. I looked up his stats for the season. He's only been called upon to run 14 times and has gained 94 yards on those carries, with a long of 23. He is being used less in that role when compared to last season. His YPC is actually higher, so I guess it's just a reaction to this game, coupled with a smaller role in the same position against Arizona and Atlanta.

To me if feels like its obvious what the play is going to be. QB run

Granted I know he throws every once in awhile but to me it doesn't seem like enough for any opposing team to not sell out for a Taysom run.

But that might be the long term genius of Payton come playoffs ......gotcha thinking run when now its a pass.

yes but the play that failed was a pass and I think that is the only reason you see it in the scripted plays. you get to see how they game planned for TH and had it worked and they had gashed them pretty good with a pass, they would have possibly set him up for effective runs later.

I'm not saying that it wasn't disruptive and killed the drive, I just understand why SP would do it.

Forced and unnecessary. Using Taysom is about timing and surprise.
SP constantly calls plays in the 1st q that set up plays in the 2nd half

He’s shown for years he’s willing to sacrifice yds in the first few drives bc he believe it helps later when drivescare more precious

I don't think so. I think we have gotten away from what really worked for him. During the time Brees was out, we didn't really use him. Now, he's not really being used in that same old role. Now, when he comes in, he actually goes through progressions, and tries to throw the ball. You almost never see him moved all over the offense anymore. That will come back. I believe that Payton is saving it for the Playoffs. Let it die down some, so it can become a surprise again.

I don’t think that there is any question that teams are preparing for it more. Preparation is the key to defending anything in the NFL...of course they are more effective this season than last.

I don't like the timing of when we use him sometimes. I would like to see him utilized when we have a lead. Not during our first drive of the game when we are coming off an embarrassing loss and are trying to find some semblance of an offensive rhythm.

All plays are ineffective when they're hilariously predictable. Its not just plays with Hill.

Timing and rythm are important too. Those predictable gadget plays are drive killers when forced in while we're already moving the ball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom