Are there any overrated Saints? (1 Viewer)

TQS - You cant be a WR in the NFL if your dropping passes.
Marcus Williams - Dude is never there to help a player out.

Last edited:
Lattimore shadowed #1 WRs and had a lot of success. Not many games where anyone got the best of him. Even Gilmore, who's being compared to all time greats, got lit up by DeVante Parker. It happens to all of them. But to say Ramsey was better than Lattimore, to me, is ridiculous.
People sometimes only remember the last thing they saw. Lattimore was torched by Thielen but they forget Mike Evans, Amarii Cooper, Julio Jones, and others all being shutdown.

The poster also mention "Peters" being better than Lattimore which is a joke.

Lattimore had a great rookie season and has been below average since.

Just because he had an insane rookie year where he gave up like 50 yards the 1st half of the season, does not mean he's below average now. He's still way above average, and those stats were insanity and not sustainable.

The thread title asks for players, but I'm going to say Dome Field Advantage has become overrated.

Part of the reason is actually a very good thing.....and that's the fact that they've gotten a lot better and more consistent on the road over the last 3 years.

But the entire spooky mystique of "ooooh you don't want to play the Saints in the Superdome" that still lingers seems to be based more on past reputation than anything. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather any of their playoff runs go through the Superdome than having to compete outside in the current temps......but the last two years have proven that the Dome is no longer an automatic golden ticket to the next playoff round, which it had previously been since 2006.

I agree with this. I think it's at least partially self-fulfilling as well. It seems to me the last two times we've been in the playoffs that there's an air of nervousness around the team and if the Saints don't start off red-hot (which has been a problem for our offense at times as we all know), then it's almost like there's this "oh here we go again" feeling in the crowd and the team. The team for whatever reason seems to be more prone to coming out flat at home than they have been on the road the last two years as well, although it was most apparent this season I'd say. Part of that I do think is on gameplanning, with Payton willing to be more risky/pass happy at home, and the other part I really do think is just a mentality issue. Ultimately the only way to really change it is for the team to start beating the brakes off of opponents in the dome again, a couple of those "signature wins" at home throughout the season and that "invincibility factor" will come back.

Saying Cam is not overrated because he's been the best Saint defender for a long time makes my point. Saints have not exactly had a lot of great defensive players. I say overrated because I don't remember him or the Saints defense during his tenure ever coming up big. Racking up stats against inferior competition doesn't make a player great. I think he is overrated by Saints fans because we compare him to other Saints rather than the elite pass rushers in the league. No doubt he is a very good DE just not elite IMHO.

People sometimes only remember the last thing they saw. Lattimore was torched by Thielen but they forget Mike Evans, Amarii Cooper, Julio Jones, and others all being shutdown.

The poster also mention "Peters" being better than Lattimore which is a joke.
Yikes, I missed Peters. Definitely a joke. A bad joke.

I thought Eric Allen was overrated.

CB is so difficult though and it really is feast to famine for most of them. One year you can be GOAT and the next A goat.

Can we add any coaches? I would definitely add Rob Ryan and Joe Vitt

Darren Sharper. He was amazing for the first half of 2009, but was a liability down the stretch, including the postseason, and his struggles continued through 2010. His biggest contribution in the Super Bowl was photo-bombing Porter's pick-6 photo, causing the Super Dome to eventually replace that banner in Champions Square with something else:
https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_81feb609-28ca-5fec-a335-db85ecc3d59f.html

Along the same lines -- Tracy Porter. Made some huge plays (two come to mind) but otherwise had a very up and down career (and was also plagued by injuries). Still, he deserves to be recognized as a legend, of course.

I agree with this. I think it's at least partially self-fulfilling as well. It seems to me the last two times we've been in the playoffs that there's an air of nervousness around the team and if the Saints don't start off red-hot (which has been a problem for our offense at times as we all know), then it's almost like there's this "oh here we go again" feeling in the crowd and the team. The team for whatever reason seems to be more prone to coming out flat at home than they have been on the road the last two years as well, although it was most apparent this season I'd say. Part of that I do think is on gameplanning, with Payton willing to be more risky/pass happy at home, and the other part I really do think is just a mentality issue. Ultimately the only way to really change it is for the team to start beating the brakes off of opponents in the dome again, a couple of those "signature wins" at home throughout the season and that "invincibility factor" will come back.
Correct. When the Saints get off to a fast start, it's like our opponents are in quicksand. But, lately if there's a slow start, the crowd gets taken out and it's hard for everyone to get up for the rest of the game. Like you said, an air of nervousness/timidness, as if everyone is preparing for the worst instead of hoping for the best. Idk when it started getting like this, but if I had to try and put my finger on it, I'd say after Minneapolis Miracle, it seems as if our homefield hasn't been as much of an advantage as it has been in the past.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom