Are video game competitions a sport? (1 Viewer)

it doesn't fit what we normally think of as sport so I looked at a couple of definitions to see if it could be technically classified as one.

They all involve physical exertion or prowess. So no, in neither sense is it a sport unless we want to redefine both what we think of as a sport and its actual definition.

We can call it a skill.

and if its going to be a sport then it needs tougher regulations. No more juicing (I'm looking at you Mountain Dew)

I think these are arguments are semantic more than anything else. There is no single definition of what a sport is, nor is there some meaningful reason to make such a classification . . . so it's kind of a waste of time, IMO.

Personally, I don't think video game e-sports are sports. But I'm certainly not going to argue with someone who presents a thoughtful argument that they are. I don't really care one way or the other. Same with Nascar.

it doesn't fit what we normally think of as sport so I looked at a couple of definitions to see if it could be technically classified as one.

They all involve physical exertion or prowess. So no, in neither sense is it a sport unless we want to redefine both what we think of as a sport and its actual definition.

We can call it a skill.

and if its going to be a sport then it needs tougher regulations. No more juicing (I'm looking at you Mountain Dew)
I would say equal or more skill/prowess as darts - which I would categorize as sport (but not video games)

Is chess a sport? I think you can have organized competitive contests without it being calling a sport. Is a beauty contest a sport? It requires natural and honed physical exertion, but I would not consider it sporting. Is poker a sport? IMO, none of these are sports and neither is video gaming.

I think these are arguments are semantic more than anything else. There is no single definition of what a sport is, nor is there some meaningful reason to make such a classification . . . so it's kind of a waste of time, IMO.

Personally, I don't think video game e-sports are sports. But I'm certainly not going to argue with someone who presents a thoughtful argument that they are. I don't really care one way or the other. Same with Nascar.

But how do you feel about bowling?

‘Waste of time’?
are you trying to build a ‘billable hours’ case?

Language is and should be dynamic- it should change as the social landscape changes
While obviously a fluff topic, I think it does shine a light on the reality that what it means to be human (sporting athlete included)
We all present as avatars on this forum
Carrie Fisher starred in a movie after she died
I can summon groceries with no human contact whatsoever

You say semantics, I say meta commentary

Examples of a Sport:
Football, Baseball, Basketball, Track & Field , Hockey, Lacrosse.

Examples of not a Sport
Video Games (E-Sports), X-Games, Horse Racing, Nascar, Soccer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom