Are video game competitions a sport? (1 Viewer)

Not video games. Competitive drum corps, and by the same token, competitive marching band.

Things that we don't generally classify as sport can absolutely be so. But I think "e-sports" is a good name for video game competitions.

there is some serious hand dexterity and hand eye coordination going on too with most of the competitive games. The mental puzzle games are probably not the ones that most competition is aimed at.

Ultimately, I agree. I feel that gaming is a sport. Watching a world champion StarCraft player manage 6 bases with hotkeys is something to behold and not something an average mortal brain and hands can find success with. I'm just drawing the line in the sand before reflexes are considered. Considering reflexes we may need to consider musicians as athletes as well. But the OP asked if gaming competitions are sports, assuming in the light of football, baseball, basketball etc., and I feel a Chess application would apply better. I find College teams popping up and they are treating them more as clubs instead of athletic teams. I think the industry's nailed it with the sub-group E-Sports, neither here nor there.

(decided to stop bothering the NASCAR thread)

Video games
Sport?
Yes?
No?
“Decided to stop bothering the NASCAR thread” is code for “I got booted out of the NASCAR thread” :ezbill:

Guido is getting ready to go on his annual hiatus so we need to tease the crap out of him now :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom