Are we alone? (1 Viewer)

saint_cajun78

Very Banned
Reaction score
Plain and simple question. Do you believe there is intelligent life elsewhere? I think this universe is much too big and the possibilities are too great. Also if you have ever experianced a sighting please post.

0 chance we're alone IMO. I believe there are thousands if not millions of planets with life out there.

We're one of at LEAST 200 billion galaxies in the observable universe. Each of these galaxies have anywhere between 10 million and 100 trillion stars, at least half of which have solar systems of planets revolving around them, just as we revolve around our star, the sun.

Look at this picture, each speck of light on this picture is a galaxy. You mean to tell me that we're all that's out there? No way. We're nothing but fleas in this universe.

687px-Constellation_Fornax%2C_EXtreme_Deep_Field.jpg

I think humans, as a species, are very egotistical to think that this vast universe is all about us. The math just doesn't add up. I personally just don't believe we're as significant or important as we think we are (I'll save the religious implications of this for another time and another thread).

The universe is 13.7 billion years old. I believe there are pockets of life all over, some at primitive levels, some at super advanced intelligent levels, some with unintelligent mammal-like life, some with nothing but bacterial life, etc. The universe is just too big for us to be the only thing existing in it.

I don't think the laws of physics would ever allow us, or any of our roomates in the universe to ever know though, and it's probably for the best.

Many nights, I look up at the sky and all the stars in amazement. We have 300 billion stars in our galaxy alone and just as many planets.

On November 4, 2013, astronomers reported, based on Kepler space mission data, that there could be as many as 40 billion Earth-sized planets orbiting in the habitable zones of sun-like stars and red dwarf stars within the Milky Way Galaxy.11 billion of these estimated planets may be orbiting sun-like stars. The nearest such planet may be 12 light-years away, according to the scientists.

Are we alone? Impossible.

0 chance we're alone IMO. I believe there are thousands if not millions of planets with life out there.

We're one of at LEAST 200 galaxies in the observable universe. Each of these galaxies have anywhere between 10 million and 100 trillion stars, at least half of which have solar systems of planets revolving around them, just as we revolve around our star, the sun.

Look at this picture, each speck of light on this picture is a galaxy. You mean to tell me that we're all that's out there? No way. We're nothing but fleas in this universe.

I think humans, as a species, are very egotistical to think that this vast universe is all about us. The math just doesn't add up. I personally just don't believe we're as significant or important as we think we are (I'll save the religious implications of this for another time and another thread).

The universe is 13.7 billion years old. I believe there are pockets of life all over, some at primitive levels, some at super advanced intelligent levels, some with unintelligent mammal-like life, some with nothing but bacterial life, etc. The universe is just too big for us to be the only thing existing in it.

I don't think the laws of physics would ever allow us, or any of our roomates in the universe to ever know though, and it's probably for the best.

Many nights, I look up at the sky and all the stars in amazement. We have 300 billion stars in our galaxy alone and just as many planets.

I agree. And to know that earth is what 4 or 5 billion years old yet the estimated age of the universe is more than twice that tells me that there has to be itelligent life far more advanced than our own.

Just look at how far we have exploded in technology in the past 120 years. We went from horse drawn buggys to launching people/rovers into space. So just think what we would entcounter when faced with a civilization who is 1,000 or perhaps a million years ahead of us.

We used to believe that the sun revolved around the earth because we were the center of the universe, we also belived the earth was flat. Yet history has proved that we cannot except the unknown until it is proven as a scientific fact. It's just a matter of time before we find out the truth about extraterrestrial life. I believe they have been here montoring us for quite some time.

what Saintaholic says
if it this is an infinite universe (and/or multiverses) then it's impossible for there to be no other life forms
it might mean that we have to expand our definition of what "life" and "intelligence" is (but as we see on EE and PDB we already have very fluid ideas of intelligence, so no biggee)

Look at this picture, each speck of light on this picture is a galaxy.

Many nights, I look up at the sky and all the stars in amazement.

One of the coolest things I've done was stargazing one night, not really knowing what I was looking at. Grabbed the binoculars, picking out constellations. I found Andromeda and then wondered what that fuzzy speck was just above it.

Yea, that was M31. Another galaxy.

Pretty unreal.

what Saintaholic says
if it this is an infinite universe (and/or multiverses) then it's impossible for there to be no other life forms
it might mean that we have to expand our definition of what "life" and "intelligence" is (but as we see on EE and PDB we already have very fluid ideas of intelligence, so no biggee)

Very good point. What we percieve to be life is carbon based life but that in itself is very closed-minded. I'm sure life comes in far more expansive forms that the human mind cannot comprehend.

What if humanoids aren't as rare as we think? What if the hundreds/thousands of human races on our planet is something bigger/more significant than we realize?

And if we have been visited (which I believe we have and continue to be) just think of the knowledge that can be given from these beings. Technology beyond our current comprehension. Just look at how long we have been using fossil fuel. Its time to move on.

We're one of at LEAST 200 galaxies in the observable universe. Each of these galaxies have anywhere between 10 million and 100 trillion stars, at least half of which have solar systems of planets revolving around them, just as we revolve around our star, the sun.

Actually that picture alone is supposed to have about 10,000 galaxies in it (Hubble Ultra Deep Field)

I read something last year that was an interesting perspective. I have always agreed with the post above (and still do) but the only thing that's actually made me stop and go hmmm since as long as I can remember was the idea that the chances that we are alone are actually quite high due mostly to the fact that our very existence itself is so rare to begin with.

absolutely I believe there is alien life.

I think it's Drakes Equation and I believe it goes something like this:

If only 1 percent of galaxies were suitable and only 1 percent of those galaxies' stars had planets and only 1 percent of the planets had life of any kind and only 1 percent of those had intelligent life then there would be 10's of thousands of alien civilizations out there

Life is either a freak anomoly or a "common" occurance. There is simply way too many repeating patterns in the Universe for it to be random chance in my opinion. Now, can these other life-forms find us and/or travel to us? That I highly doubt. There is a lot of space to cover to find another life source.

absolutely I believe there is alien life.

I think it's Drakes Equation and I believe it goes something like this:

If only 1 percent of galaxies were suitable and only 1 percent of those galaxies' stars had planets and only 1 percent of the planets had life of any kind and only 1 percent of those had intelligent life then there would be 10's of thousands of alien civilizations out there

Never heard that one. Thanks for sharing, it does put it in perspective.

Life is either a freak anomoly or a "common" occurance. There is simply way too many repeating patterns in the Universe for it to be random chance in my opinion. Now, can these other life-forms find us and/or travel to us? That I highly doubt. There is a lot of space to cover to find another life source.

I believe some can. like I said earlier, if there are civilizations out there thousands if not millions of years ahead of us then why wouldn't it be possible for them to find a way to travel vast distances in space.

Look at it this way, if you would have said it's a possibility to travel from London to China in a matter of hours and not weeks to someone from the 1500's they would have called you crazy. It's different today, with our current way of thinking we cannot comprehed getting from point A to point B with anything other than fossil fuel powered travel because we know of nothing more powerful at the momemt. In the 1500's travel by horseback was state of the art.

Just look at all the places we've found life here on earth over the past few decades.

At the bottom of the ocean under phenomenal pressure

next to those super hot underwater vents spewing (sulphur?)

Freezing cold temperatures

I do think that life will turn out to be norm. Intelligent life is another matter. I'm not sure it's the norm here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom