Are we forcing Reggie (1 Viewer)

I think that Deuce was not used enough in this game as well. I love Reggie just like everyone else, but Deuce was a first round pick too. If Deuce gets the ball 20 times, the Saints win

There was not enough running period in the 3rd Quarter. We got pass happy and didn't move the chains. That put the ball back into Pitts hands too quickly.

SOmetimes Payton just gets pass happy. We would have been better off IMO with a little more Deuce in the mix and more focus on keeping the chains moving in the 3rd.

All that said, It was poor defense and turnovers that cost us this game.

I've been saying for weeks that the one problem I have with Payton is the underutilization of Deuce. He had just 14 carries today for a healthy 4.2 yard per carry average. If you take away the 15 yard reverse Reggie had, he had 9 carries for a 3.7 yard average. Reggie did run better today than he has in the past, but his fumble hurt, and once again he ran a little bit too anxious and missed a couple of cutback lanes. I really think that the Saints were in a position to come out in the third quarter and pound Deuce, but they came out in a no back set. I realize that it was Evans' penalty that killed that drive, but since our D wasn't playing that well, it would have been a good strategy to try to soften up Pittsburgh with Deuce and take time off the clock. If Pittsburgh would have started stopping Deuce, THEN we could have adjusted. The sad thing is we'll never know if Deuce could have had a big second half because he simply wasn't used enough.

It looked like he could have made a couple of cuts to the outside today for more yards and he stayed inside. Maybe all the talk about running in between the tackles is sticking.

The offense put 31 points on the board, and but for several turnovers, it would have put up more. However we are using Deuce and Reggie...it seems to be working.

The offense put 31 points on the board, and but for several turnovers, it would have put up more. However we are using Deuce and Reggie...it seems to be working.

The offense only put up 7 points in the second half. We gave this game away. The turnovers obviously killed us, but it hurts even more when it was obvious that Deuce was moving the pile and we had a chance to run some clock and stock up some points but instead went with a higher risk offense in the second half. Look at a team like Denver or at Pittsburgh last season. Shanahan and Cower know when to pound the ball and take the spirit out of the opposing team. I wish Payton would try a little more Deuce when we're in the lead.

The offense only put up 7 points in the second half. We gave this game away. The turnovers obviously killed us, but it hurts even more when it was obvious that Deuce was moving the pile and we had a chance to run some clock and stock up some points but instead went with a higher risk offense in the second half. Look at a team like Denver or at Pittsburgh last season. Shanahan and Cower know when to pound the ball and take the spirit out of the opposing team. I wish Payton would try a little more Deuce when we're in the lead.

If we start pounding the ball, 1/2 the board would cry that we are getting too conservative. Here's what I say...run the plays that you think will win the game Payton. If Reggie gets more touches than Deuce and we win great. If Deuce gets more and we win, great. I don't like the idea that we "have" to get the ball to anyone. Get it to the one on that.

31 points should win you a ball game (actually it SHOULD have be 34 with the missed field goal).

I've been saying for weeks that the one problem I have with Payton is the underutilization of Deuce. He had just 14 carries today for a healthy 4.2 yard per carry average. If you take away the 15 yard reverse Reggie had, he had 9 carries for a 3.7 yard average.

If you take away any big run, the average goes down. Take away 15 1-yard runs and the average goes up. Take away Deuce's big runs vs. Tampa in October and his average is much worse. Take any runs away and the data is meaningless because it's now biased.

If you take away any big run, the average goes down. Take away 15 1-yard runs and the average goes up. Take away Deuce's big runs vs. Tampa in October and his average is much worse. Take any runs away and the data is meaningless because it's now biased.

Uh, a reverse is a very different kind of play than your typical between the tackles run. It's a trick play. I loved the reverse, and it was great to see Reggie get his first offensive touchdown on that play, but if you just want to compare who was the most effective runner on regular running plays, I think it's fair to exclude that play from the comparison. The fact is that Deuce moves the pile and has been more productive than Bush all season long as a running back. We need to keep using Reggie in a number of capacities, but Deuce is getting too few carries.

Uh, a reverse is a very different kind of play than your typical between the tackles run. It's a trick play. I loved the reverse, and it was great to see Reggie get his first offensive touchdown on that play, but if you just want to compare who was the most effective runner on regular running plays, I think it's fair to exclude that play from the comparison. The fact is that Deuce moves the pile and has been more productive than Bush all season long as a running back. We need to keep using Reggie in a number of capacities, but Deuce is getting too few carries.

It doesn't matter if it's a trick play. It's a moot point because every play counts. I'm not saying Deuce hasn't been better all season, but Deuce can't take that reverse an score a TD. The reason the reverse SHOULD be included is because it's something Bush can do and do well, the same as receiving. It's still the same as taking away any RB's top run and saying his average is lower. If Reggie hadn't scored a TD on the reverse and instead lost 6 yards, would you exclude it? I doubt it. The fact is on that reverse Bush still had to get by defenders and used his moves to do it.

Deuce may not be getting enough carries now, but it will be good in the long run. We need him fresh in the post season and reggie is getting valuable experience. Sean Payton knows what he is doing... :D

Deuce runs down defenses. You have to get Deuce at least 20 runs a game.... We've only done that once this season.... That needs to change.

Reggie had a great game today, this is not a bash on Reggie, but Deuce needs more touches. Also, I love Brees but Payton has him throwing too much. His lowest output of the year is 28 passes. The rest of the year he has gone for 30+ passes. Coming into today, Brees was 5th in attempts per game. He now leads the league in passing yards also.

Drew Brees 2604
Donovan McNabb 2534
Peyton Manning 2527
Marc Bulger 2515

Last edited:
Deuce is not capable, right now, of carrying the ball 25 times. Everyone saying we need to pound Deuce is living in a dream world. He's not physically capable of it. Nobody is more pleased than me at what Deuce has been able to do, but that knee won't be completely right for another year.

We are 6-3 doing it the way Payton is doing it. I really don't see a problem. Our problems are on the other side of the ball. As well as our defense has played at times, and unlike the Venturi era these guys are putting up resistance, drafting Reggie set our defense back a year. That pick would have been Hawk.

That said, I think Gary Gibbs and Sean Payton have done as good a job as possible with our defense and they have improved dramatically from the Venturi era. However, we are going to need another offseason or two to get better players for that side of the ball. The good news, however, is that our offense is the real deal and barring injury, I think we'll be strong on that side of the ball for some time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom