Saints Are we, now building the post Brees team? (1 Viewer)

liveoakh

Rookie
Reaction score
Perhaps we should be. Players drafted or acquired through F/A in 2020 will be on this team longer than Drew and perhaps Sean. The most important asset we have at the moment is Assistant General Manager/College Scouting Director Jeff Ireland. I think Ireland will get a good look from teams this year as a GM. If Sean or Drew break up the band, Jeff Ireland can never leave the building. Because if Loomis could pick talent, we would not have brought in Irleand in the first place. Ireland and Sean can draft us into the post Drew era. So, what I am saying is. Regardless of how many more yrs drew wants to still play. We are still drafting for the post drew era. We can ill afford to sleep on locking up Ireland as GM. Just MHO

obviously any young guys they draft, they envision them being on the team longer than Drew. But that clearly isn’t the first goal yet or you would be dumping big contracts and stockpiling picks. I think they are hoping for a fluid transition more than an abrupt one.

We've been doing that for a few years now with the exception of drafting a QB.
This, except we acquired his potential successors via free agency.

Smart teams are always rebuilding. The Saints are doing just that.

I was just looking at overthecap.com's web page for the Saints next year. They are estimating the Saints to start the off-season with $17.4 million in cap space. It turns out Cam Jordans contract was restructured a couple of weeks ago by converting most of next years salary to a new signing bonus. The can do the same with M. Thomas and get the number upto about $25 million. With Alonso's third ACL tear they might let him go since he only has 1 year left and I doubt he would be able to play until after midseason if ever.

With that space they still need to sign 2 QB's and likely some of the FA starters. Bell and Klein should be brought back. Apple, Peat, Line, Omameh, and Onyemata will be others to watch.

This, except we acquired his potential successors via free agency.
That potential successor is likely going to get offered a starting gig this year and if Drew is coming back, we won't be in the race to retain him. Wouldn't be surprised to see us both draft and sign a vet QB in FA.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom