Are you happy with what Loomis got for Sean? (1 Viewer)

Are you happy with what Loomis got for Sean? (merged)

• Yes

Votes: 258 58.1%
  • No

Votes: 186 41.9%

• Total voters
I really don't think you want to do that. You listed 3 hits and left off Baun, Trautman, Tre'quan, Anzalone, Grayson, PJ Williams, John Jenkins, Martez Wilson, Johnny Patrick, Usama Young and Andy Alleman. Adebo and Hicks could go either way.

Fact is you have a better chance at acquiring talent in the top 64 than you do after. If anything we've held onto some of those 3rd round picks too long by virtue of their draft position. Using the Payton trade to improve our chances is a win. We didn't give up anything...
Sure we can split hairs about what 3rd rd picks were great and which were not. If we are to do that, then I’d argue that Jimmy was the best TE that we ever had. AK41 will be (if not already) the best RB we have ever had. Those picks alone supersedes any lackluster picks bc they are bonafide difference makers. For all of the times that we have thrown away picks to grab “our guy”, which one has actually moved the needle for us? If we want to throw away picks, then make it worth while, like for a possible franchise QB. My main issue is that it we make those moves with blinders on. We are so dang set on the way we operate that, to an extent, it’s a fault.

Take what we can get, I thought that Coaches contracts were like player and it freezes when the person retires with years left on the contract. IF so, then no I wish we would have asked for this years first and second and next years second. give them next years third. If not we risk getting nothing if he just waits another year or two.

I'm glad that Loomis was able to get a 1st and next years 2nd for Sean. But I thought this year 1st and next year 1st would be more of a fair trade. I'm happy with the picks. I think that Loomis did a great job. But a Sean Payton track record and head coaching success deserves 2 1st round picks. And giving the Broncos the 3rd rounder should not have been done.

If they didn't want to pay it then fine. Those teams will know what it feels like to lose for the next +10 years. Also, the saints wasn't asking for the entire draft only two picks or so. If they can't find players in the 2nd to 7th rounds and in free agency then they should not be working in any team front office.

The media negatively over hyped the saints compensation. The they were not giving Payton away. I don't understand most of the media play in this.

Last edited:
In 1999, Mike Holmgren was traded from the Green Bay Packers to Seattle Seahawks for a second-round draft pick. Holmgren was a Super Bowl-winning coach. In 2006, Herm Edwards was traded from the Jets to the Kansas City Chiefs for a fourth-round draft pick. In 2019, Bruce Arians was traded from the Cardinals to the Buccaneers for a sixth-round draft pick.

Loomis did great.

If/when #29 turns into a great RB or great DT, or if it’s packaged with the Denver 2nd and our ‘24 1st & 2nd for Young or Stroud, I think we’ll see the compensation as an even trade at minimum.

The results of the draft selections will determine long term how great or terrible that the compensation we received truly was.

Funny most here sound like a Dad trying to explain his reasons for drafting his son first overall.... most of you or bias cause you love loomis.... this was probably the best we could get for Payton... buy still doesn't make it a fair trade....remember the Minnesota miracle, remember the no call.... this will feel like those in 4 to 5 years when everyone see's the results...

So you'd rather just have an asset like Payton sit for 2 more years and we get nothing? He wasn't coaching for us again so it's better to get something than nothing. I'll take a first and upgrade from a 3rd rounder to a 2nd for someone who's not/or ever will be back on the team.

I'm happy enough with it. Us giving them a 3rd is annoying mainly because I was already on board with him sitting at Fox for another season. If I was in the mode that it was now or never then it probably wouldn't bother me.

I don't think anyone can say if it's "fair" or who won the trade until we see how he performs in Denver but seeing as he wasn't going to be coaching for us this season for sure and there were indications the Saints weren't interested in bringing him back into the fold (not to mention who knows how interested Payton was in coming back) I think it's fine compensation. I would've preferred the 3rd overall from AZ even if though that keeps Payton in conference but I'm assuming that wasn't a possibility for one reason or another. I'm not convinced he's going to set the world alight in Denver, I think of all the places rumored he's got it harder there than anywhere else with Mahomes and Herbert in division. If I'm right about that then he'll find Broncos fans and local media to be a lot less patient than Saints fans and local media were when he first came to town (granted I'm not sure I'd call us patient anymore). On the other hand if Payton does win a championship in Denver then everyone will say they should've/could've paid more.

From our perspective if we get a good starter with our first rounder then I'd say we broke even at the least, obviously if that pick somehow turns into a franchise QB or HOF talent elsewhere then that's even better and you could say we won the trade again depending on how he performs. Of course if you look at it in the context that he was never coaching here again in the near future (so not ruling out a Joe Gibbs like return later in life) then we got something for nothing and already won the trade.

What is Tacos?
Tacos is a SR inside joke by and for Real SR Insiders. It is a timeless thing, a universal truth, and if we are not in on the joke, and we are not, it would seem, it is because we are not of the worthy sort that gets bro nods from the Kool Kids of SR. Nor should we. What the who have we done, really, that is so terribly special? And we never will get bro nodded or have beers lifted toward us no matter if we were even at that epic game at Tulane Stadium with our dads when that one guy ran back that kick. But so what. They let us be here and even let us spill our pathetic opinions On The Line so let’s appreciate our roles as the Worker Bees of the Who Dat Nation and live it up while the living is still good.

Tacos is a SR inside joke by and for Real SR Insiders. It is a timeless thing, a universal truth, and if we are not in on the joke, and we are not, it would seem, it is because we are not of the worthy sort that gets bro nods from the Kool Kids of SR. Nor should we. What the who have we done, really, that is so terribly special? And we never will get bro nodded or have beers lifted toward us no matter if we were even at that epic game at Tulane Stadium with our dads when that one guy ran back that kick. But so what. They let us be here and even let us spill our pathetic opinions On The Line so let’s appreciate our roles as the Worker Bees of the Who Dat Nation and live it up while the living is still good.
That would be tacoes fine sir!

PS. If there is a Kool Kids club here thank God I’m not part of it.

i went to bed thinking we got the 3rd overall to wake up and realize we got the bottom of the first round :(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom