Are you happy with what Loomis got for Sean? (1 Viewer)

Are you happy with what Loomis got for Sean? (merged)

• Yes

Votes: 258 58.1%
  • No

Votes: 186 41.9%

• Total voters
No. I know MANY people think this was a great trade for the Saints. In hindsight in a few months, it might look great. Really wanted a 2024 1st somehow and maybe a 1st this year, especially from Denver.

I hope the Saints don't trade up again, but they have a habit of trading up. They need to get another 1st in 2024 and should look at trading the 2023 1st if a team wants to move up this year back into the 1st round.

Curious: does the fact that SP was under contract for TWO MORE YEARS affect his value for this trade?

Seems like it should and thus should have been higher picks involved.

[sigh]
I don't know. I mean, the fact that he had been out of football for a year and could've easily just told us "Thanks, I'll stay in broadcasting (I imagine he was paid well enough) and wait out my contract" if he didn't approve of the arrangement we made might have lowered our position.

I understand the emotion behind people saying he violated his contract and to heck with him if we couldn't get a killer haul for him. But...I think a late 1st rounder this year and moving up a round next year for a coach who's gone regardless beats the alternative of him staying in broadcasting or waiting out his contract b/c we wouldn't budge.

No. I know MANY people think this was a great trade for the Saints. In hindsight in a few months, it might look great. Really wanted a 2024 1st somehow and maybe a 1st this year, especially from Denver.

I hope the Saints don't trade up again, but they have a habit of trading up. They need to get another 1st in 2024 and should look at trading the 2023 1st if a team wants to move up this year back into the 1st round.
My guess is we don't trade up this year b/c I don't think we're in the same "win now" mode we were in the final years of Brees' career.

No, the trade was way below what it could have been. And they better not trade Taysom either. I’ll revolt!

Trade them Carmichael for that 3rd back.

Yes. Very happy. We got something when we could easily have received nothing if he sat out. Nobody can judge this move until you see what we do with those picks. Then you can decide.

Hope you’re right but we did it last year. That was post Brees and Payton.
I hear what you're saying, BUT...last year, we were still under the hopes that MT13 could return to health, that Jameis could game manage like he did before his 2021 injury, that Allen's coaching record in Oakland was due to it being a horrible organization and he would do better in a better organization.

Yes, I ruefully chuckled a bit typing that paragraph, but I can see how people talked themselves into it, especially considering the NFC was viewed to be weak going into this season, as was the NFC South. This coming year, the NFC South is still weak, but...considering we're almost certainly cutting MT13, it seems like we're accepting reality a bit more this offseason. This could be wishful thinking on my part, but...I think this is different than last year.

No, the trade was way below what it could have been. And they better not trade Taysom either. I’ll revolt!

Trade them Carmichael for that 3rd back.
Hands off Hill, for sure. Maybe we can do a combo trade with DA and PC for that 3rd. I’d be for that. :)

Last edited:
For those of you upset about this deal, I’m curious as to what you expected in return? While there was interest, apparently no team was willing to part with valuable picks except Denver. The Saints could have either:
1. Accepted the offer negotiated with Denver or…
2. Reject it and let Payton’s value decrease for another year.
What were the other options??
I think it was an excellent deal that sets us up well for next season. We can easily package our 1,2 and one of our second round picks next year to move up to the middle of the first if needed.

It was never going to be 2 first round picks.
If it was going to be a mid 1st round pick...there wasn't going to be any other picks added in (maybe a late round 2024 pick)
IMO Loomis pretty much got market value for SP.
Better to trade him now and get current value than to get nothing this season and lesser value next season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom