Are you more excited about Kevin Reddick or Chase Thomas (1 Viewer)

Reddick, better chance of making the team this year. As for Chase Thomas I'm just hoping we find a way to stash him for a year.

I hope both these guys make the roster. We are in desperate need of youth and athleticism that LB spot.

One of the thing that still worries me about our defense is parameter run defense. Our run D up the middle has actually be solid for a few years now, its the edge rush that kills us. People like to talk about how Will Smith is good vs the run, but in reality he has not been for years.

I am still concerned about how our current OLB's will hold up vs the run, and our ILB's. Lofton is very good, but he mostly excells between the hash marks. Vilma isnt what he used to be. Hawthorne is slow. Reddick to me is a guy, although no blazing fast, has some very good explosiveness and can make those plays to the edge. Chase also has the ability to be very good vs the run as a outside backer on the strong side.

They both have a great chance at making the team i like Thomas a little better but Reddick will most likely be on the active 53 we are slim at ILB

I am very high on Chase Thomas and wouldnt be shocked if you see him on the field a lot. I was reading this and it stood out to me:

While Thomas’ pass rush skills are good, he separates himself from many other good pass rushers with his outstanding play against the run. You can observe from watching him play that he has been coached well and learns from that coaching. He consistently carries out his responsibility, maintains proper positioning, has good footwork and uses hands correctly to take on run blocks. When he has “contain” responsibility he consistently is able to control blocker so that the blocker and the ball carrier are kept to his inside. Additionally, when the offense runs a play away he consistently maintains backside responsibility before coming down the line to try and make the play. This enables him to be in position if the play turns out to be a play fake away with a “naked roll-back pass” to the tight end on the backside. He makes it look easy taking on and defeating run blocks out in space as he takes them on with good base and hand-use, maintains position and can shed and make the tackle on runs to his side of the field.
Not only will Thomas’ physical skills and football instincts help him to become a productive starting outside linebacker, but the passion, intensity and aggressive playing style he constantly plays with will separate him from many of the other players he competes with. In the games evaluated, there were many times that he passed other defenders, who were in better position to make the play, while chasing down and making the play in pursuit. This style of play will lend itself to his excelling on special teams coverage units, which is vital so that he can make an impact / contribution to the team while he develops into a starting player.
In the end, Thomas will not be drafted as highly as some other outside linebacker prospects like Jarvis Jones of Georgia and Barkevious Mingo of LSU, but from what we have seen on film and heard from scouts who cover Stanford, he will likely be drafted in the second or third round. His skill set and playing style remind me of current Chargers outside linebacker Jarret Johnson and I expect him to be similarly successful in that role for an NFL team.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/UnderRated-Prospect-Stanford-OLB-Chase-Thomas.html

He sounds like the type of player coaches love.

Chase Thomas reminds me of Scott Shanle. He'll contribute and most likely play his heart out, but I don't know if he has the athletic potential to be an impact making starter.

Reddick on the other hand is someone to be excited about. He has the potential to be a game changer!

And we have our winner.

Nice post.

That's a close one. Thomas is instinctive, and has the makings of a tackling machine that gets 120 or more tackles per game. Reddick is fast, and could be a real thumper. I think Thomas is more NFL ready now, but Reddick has the talent to surpass him some day, if he applies himself.

:worthy:

Chase Thomas reminds me of Scott Shanle. He'll contribute and most likely play his heart out, but I don't know if he has the athletic potential to be an impact making starter.

Reddick on the other hand is someone to be excited about. He has the potential to be a game changer!

This is a very simplistic view point IMO. Chase is a better athlete. He is a better pass rusher. Scott was more of a stocky built guy. Chase is longer, leaner. I really do not think they have very much in common as players, athleticism, or skill sets.

I think when people look at Chase all they see is Shanle and that is unfortunate and a big reason why some are not as excited about him joining our team.

I'm a fan of both kids. I actually think Chase Thomas would be a better 3-4 ILB, than an OLB. I'm even on both Reddick and Chase. But the guy I'm most excited about is ERIC MARTIN.

I'm a fan of both kids. I actually think Chase Thomas would be a better 3-4 ILB, than an OLB. I'm even on both Reddick and Chase. But the guy I'm most excited about is ERIC MARTIN.

Ah, you're on board with me seeing Chase as a ILB in the 3-4. Nice.

I'm excited for our entire team and especially our defense. I was not a big fan of RR when we initially hired him but after reading up I think he will be a good addition for our team. I think we do have a lot of talented guys already and I'm truly hoping RR knows how to evaluate them and put them in positions to succeed. I can't wait to read up on these camp battles to see who wants to play and who is just going through the motions.

Ah, you're on board with me seeing Chase as a ILB in the 3-4. Nice.

Yeah I agree I think Chase would do better in the middle he doesn`t have the lateral movement to be a OLB in the NFL, today`s running QB`s will burn him if they get to the edge.

Chase Thomas actually has a chance to start this year. The comparisons to Shanle boarders on racism/sterotypes. Thomas has nothing in common with Shanle other than skin color. Shanle was NOT a pass rusher. He was your typical in the box safety...he was not an edge guy. He played some SOLB for the Saints...but his role is going to be completely different than Thomas's role. Thomas is a pass rusher. Don't get over enamoured by speed. Football skill and IQ are far more important than straight line speed. Thomas makes the most of his 5 yards between himself and the QB. He can inside and outside, and can bull rush. On top of that he anchors well against the run and will immediately probably be our best OLB in man coverage against TEs. He runs the arch better than Martez Wilson.

Galette- 40 yd dash: 4.87 10 sec split: 1.70 Bench: 25 Vert: 33.5 Broad: 9'05" Shuttle: 4.16

Butler- 40 yd dash: 4.84 10 sec split: 1.62 Bench: 24 Vert: 33.0 Broad: 9'05"
Shuttle: 4.40

Thomas- 40 yd dash: 4.87 10 sec split: 1.63 Bench: 18 Vert: 32 Broad: 9'05"
Shuttle: 4.31

Thomas is VERY comparible to both Galette and Butler in terms of athleticism...was extremely productive at Stanford...and has the football IQ/football skills to start at SOLB in Ryans scheme.

Riddick on the other hand, though very talented has much more difficult competition for the job. Lofton WILL be a starter...and Vilma and Hawthorne are next in line. It will be difficult for an incoming rookie to beat those guys out. That is not to mention that I feel that Wilson is best fit at WILB...and has more potential at the position than Reddick.

I like both players a ton and I feel that both could eventually be starters...but Thomas has less in his way to get there. I was actually hoping that Chase Thomas was going to be available for the Saints in the third round...and it actually blows my mind that he went undrafted.

As an NFL prospect, in a position other than QB, a melanin deficiency is worse than melanoma.

I just up on Reddick, and WOW. How did we get this kid?

Nfl.com said that he is a solid 2nd day draft pick candidate that is a capabale starter his rookie year at MLB in a 3-4.

Im stoked. Vilma and Hawthorne may become expendable sooner then we think.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom