Are you out of your blessed mind, Newt? (1 Viewer)

I don't see anything in there that suggests curtailing citizens right to free speech. It is such a vague quote with no context. There are no details. Ol' Riley Yates only uses the words he feels are most inflammatory in the quote and leaves out the rest. How am I to be sure that Mr. Yates' miniscule summation is what was really said or intended?

Save the condescending BS for a time when you actually have a valid point OR actually show me where Newt said anything like what your claiming.

I swear this place used to be the best place on the net for intelligent discussion. Now it's just become a place for people to test how big their e-jock is and the stupidity quota has exceeded the decent discussion by about 50 times.

OK, then, you're right and I'm wrong.

It seems 1,292 news stories being bogus propaganda is totally unrelated to Gingritch saying a "different set of rules" may be needed to reduce terrorists' ability to use the Internet and free speech to recruit and get out their message.

My bad.

Editorial: Iraq plummets into the pit
Terre Haute Tribune Star, IN - Nov 27, 2006
“BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) — Shiite militiamen doused six Sunni Arabs with kerosene and burned them alive as Iraqi soldiers stood by, and killed 19 other Sunnis ...
Al-Maliki prepares to visit Bush Jackson Hole Star-Tribune
Iraqi leaders vow to track down insurgents CTV.ca
WAR NEWS FOR MONDAY, NOVEMBER 27, 2006 uruknet.info
all 1,292 news articles »

Six Sunni Iraqis burned alive in mosque attacks - al- Jazeera
People's Daily Online, China - Nov 24, 2006
At least six Sunni Iraqis were burned alive on Friday following the arson attacks on four Sunni mosques in northern Baghdad, Doha-based al-Jazeera English ...

Bogus Source Cited in NBC 'Civil War' Decision
NewsBusters - 15 hours ago
... And six Sunni men were doused with kerosene and burned alive. Shiite muslims are the majority, but Sunnis like Saddam Hussein ruled that country until the war. ...

MSM Caught Once Again Lying About Events In Iraq - Sunnis Not ...
PipeLineNews.org, CA - 18 hours ago
... incident.". Latest from CENTCOM, on the fallacious story peddled by AP regarding six Sunni Muslims being burned alive. On Nov. 24 ...

Militiamen Burn Six Sunni Worshippers Alive, Army Does Not ...
WAVE, KY - Nov 25, 2006
... grabbed six Sunnis as they left Friday worship services, doused them with kerosene and burned them alive as Iraqi soldiers stood by, and seven Sunni mosques ...

Mosque Burnings Apparently a Hoax, Sunni Burnings Unconfirmed
Jawa Report, TX - Nov 25, 2006
... The patrol was also unable to confirm media reports that six Sunni civilians were allegedly dragged out of Friday prayers and burned to death. ...

http://news.google.com/nwshp?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wn&q=six%20sunni%20burned.

OK, then, you're right and I'm wrong.

It seems 1,292 news stories being bogus propaganda is totally unrelated to Gingritch saying a "different set of rules" may be needed to reduce terrorists' ability to use the Internet and free speech to recruit and get out their message.

My bad.

Editorial: Iraq plummets into the pit
Terre Haute Tribune Star, IN - Nov 27, 2006
“BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) — Shiite militiamen doused six Sunni Arabs with kerosene and burned them alive as Iraqi soldiers stood by, and killed 19 other Sunnis ...
Al-Maliki prepares to visit Bush Jackson Hole Star-Tribune
Iraqi leaders vow to track down insurgents CTV.ca
WAR NEWS FOR MONDAY, NOVEMBER 27, 2006 uruknet.info
all 1,292 news articles »

Six Sunni Iraqis burned alive in mosque attacks - al- Jazeera
People's Daily Online, China - Nov 24, 2006
At least six Sunni Iraqis were burned alive on Friday following the arson attacks on four Sunni mosques in northern Baghdad, Doha-based al-Jazeera English ...

Bogus Source Cited in NBC 'Civil War' Decision
NewsBusters - 15 hours ago
... And six Sunni men were doused with kerosene and burned alive. Shiite muslims are the majority, but Sunnis like Saddam Hussein ruled that country until the war. ...

MSM Caught Once Again Lying About Events In Iraq - Sunnis Not ...
PipeLineNews.org, CA - 18 hours ago
... incident.". Latest from CENTCOM, on the fallacious story peddled by AP regarding six Sunni Muslims being burned alive. On Nov. 24 ...

Militiamen Burn Six Sunni Worshippers Alive, Army Does Not ...
WAVE, KY - Nov 25, 2006
... grabbed six Sunnis as they left Friday worship services, doused them with kerosene and burned them alive as Iraqi soldiers stood by, and seven Sunni mosques ...

Mosque Burnings Apparently a Hoax, Sunni Burnings Unconfirmed
Jawa Report, TX - Nov 25, 2006
... The patrol was also unable to confirm media reports that six Sunni civilians were allegedly dragged out of Friday prayers and burned to death. ...

http://news.google.com/nwshp?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wn&q=six sunni burned.

You said Newt brought up a good point. He didn't. This is your obsession not his. He mentioned the internet and free speech to recruit. Are you claiming the AP and various other news organizations are using this stuff to recruit terrorists because THAT is Newt's problem.

to be fair, the reporter's words were "recruit terrorists and get out their message." I have no idea what Newts actual words were, and have no idea how everyone can be so outraged over a quote they havent read from a speech they didn't hear.

Sheesh.

You said Newt brought up a good point. He didn't. This is your obsession not his. He mentioned the internet and free speech to recruit. Are you claiming the AP and various other news organizations are using this stuff to recruit terrorists because THAT is Newt's problem.

I was wrong. You were right.

The 1,292 bogus propaganda news articles does not illustrate Gingritch's point that terrorists are using the Internet to put out their info...after all, there were THREE articles pointing out that it was a hoax after all.

I was wrong. You were right.

The 1,292 bogus propaganda news articles does not illustrate Gingritch's point that terrorists are using the Internet to put out their info...after all, there were THREE articles pointing out that it was a hoax after all.

So your saying the terrorists are writing these articles and our media is printing them?

Photographs, stories, name it. Yes.

Ooooookkkkkkk.

At least I get where your coming from now. I think it's a bit out there, but I get it. I would agree many of the photo's are staged like the infamous hole in the top of the ambulance but the idea that the media is having terrorists write articles for them to print to spread their message is tin foil hat worthy IMO.

I swear this place used to be the best place on the net for intelligent discussion. Now it's just become a place for people to test how big their e-jock is and the stupidity quota has exceeded the decent discussion by about 50 times.

I'm still trying to figure out the e-jock comment.
Stupidity quota?
This place used to be smarter? Guess I was not around for it.
Of course I never thought it was dumb.
Yes, brief thread jack.

Original AP Story:

Shiites burn Sunnis alive, torch buildings near Iraqi army post
Updated 11/24/2006 9:22 PM ET

BAGHDAD (AP) — Militiamen grabbed six Sunnis as they left Friday worship services, doused them with kerosene and burned them alive as Iraqi soldiers stood by, and seven Sunni mosques came under attack as Shiites took revenge for the slaughter of 215 people in the Sadr City slum.

READ MORE
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2006-11-24-sunni-shiite_x.htm

Official U.S. government response:

Michael B. Dean
Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
MNC-I Joint Operations Center
Public Affairs Officer

Dear Associated Press:

On Nov. 24, 2006, your organization published an article by Qais Al-Bashir about six Sunnis being burned alive in the presence of Iraqi Police officers. This news item, which is below, received an enormous amount of coverage internationally.

We at Multi-National Corps - Iraq made it known through MNC-I Press Release Number 20061125-09 and our conversations with your reporters that neither we nor Baghdad Police had any reports of such an incident after investigating it and could find no one to corroborate the story. A couple of hours ago, we learned something else very important.

We can tell you definitively that the primary source of this story, police Capt. Jamil Hussein, is not a Baghdad police officer or an MOI employee. We verified this fact with the MOI through the Coalition Police Assistance Training Team.

Also, we definitely know, as we told you several weeks ago through the MNC-I Media Relations cell, that another AP-popular IP spokesman, Lt. Maithem Abdul Razzaq, supposedly of the city's Yarmouk police station, does not work at that police station and is also not authorized to speak on behalf of the IP. The MOI has supposedly issued a warrant for his questioning.

I know we have informed you that there exists an MOI edict that no one below the level of chief is authorized to be an Iraqi Police spokesperson. An unauthorized IP spokesperson will get fired for talking to the media. While I understand the importance of a news agency to use anonymous and unauthorized sources, it is still incumbent upon them to make sure their facts are straight. Was this information verified by anyone else? If the source providing the information is lying about his name, then he ought not to be represented as an official IP spokesperson and should be listed as an anonymous source.

Unless you have a credible source to corroborate the story of the people being burned alive, we respectfully request that AP issue a retraction, or a correction at a minimum, acknowledging that the source named in the story is not who he claimed he was. MNC-I and MNF-I are always available and willing to verify events and provide as much information as possible when asked.

Very respectfully,
LT Dean
Michael B. Dean
Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
MNC-I Joint Operations Center
Public Affairs Officer

>>I swear this place used to be the best place on the net for intelligent discussion. Now it's just become a place for people to test how big their e-jock is and the stupidity quota has exceeded the decent discussion by about 50 times.

I guess I need to post more. FWIW, I've posted my real jock once or twice. :shrug:
---------------------------------------------------
Dads,

While that obviously exists, I don't believe Newt is referring to trumped up or phony news stories. I think he's targeting hate-sites. If 1200 stories are bogus and there are about 50,000,000 (anecdotal number of course), then it's chumpchange. Think about it, how many stories that came out of Hurricane Katrina were based in reality? I've argued with numerous people on this very board who heard from a "reliable source" about child raping, baby cannibalism and such. And you live in Alexandria. I know I wasn't the only one up in Rapides LMAO at the mayor threatening to arrest anyone starting rumors about rampant gangs of marauding 9th Warders on the loose in the streets of Alex. :shrug:

IMHO, while you may make a somewhat valid point, you're putting an agenda behind what Newt is saying that maybe doesn't fit. I did read the captioned text of his visit to Hannity and Colmes while running treadmill last night. That was right after his speaking engagement.

TPS

I'm still trying to figure out the e-jock comment.
It's people who instead of engaging in discussion have to show how much better they are than others through condecension because that shows how much smarter they are that they can't even be bothered to respond respectfully.

Stupidity quota?
Should have been quotient but I was frustrated when I was typing.

This place used to be smarter? Guess I was not around for it.
Of course I never thought it was dumb.
Yes, brief thread jack.
Clearly you weren't if you think the current state of affairs is good. It's not the discussion, it's the amount of sarcasm, 2 liners and general "I'm too smart to bother with you" attitude the place has now. The discussions themselves, when they happen, are still good. However, too much of it these days is is just pissing contests with zero substance.

So, the Internet is not being used by terrorists to spread propaganda.

My bad, TPS. You're right. I'm wrong.

So, the Internet is not being used by terrorists to spread propaganda.

My bad, TPS. You're right. I'm wrong.

But you're being disingenuous if you think we can't also say the Internet is not being used by (Republicans) (Democrats) (Liberals) (Conservatives) (Conspiracy Theorists) (etc etc etc etc) to spread propaganda.

It's all out there. And if Newt or you or anyone else thinks that limiting what people can report and putting government in control of what can be disseminated on the Internet or in any media is a step in the right direction, then there are gonna be those like me who think that is the most ridiculous overreaction and largest loss of freedom we have seen in our lifetimes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom