Are you politically predictable (1 Viewer)

Wrong... I think they were the single most slighted and poorly treated race of people on this planet.

I believe Andrew Jackson should have been impeached for his treatment of Indians and their removal.

I do not care what race he was persecuting... but his behaviors were in direct violation of the constitution ... so yes he should have been impeached. The decision was popular with the majority of people and congressmen though so he was not. That is what the constitution is supposed to do though.. provide (nearly) immutable rules to protect the rights of the minority from the voting strength of the majority.

That hurt. :hihi:

it was a low-hanging curve... I couldn't pass it up - sorry :1zhelp:

I do indeed actually as Columbus died still thinking he sailed around to the Indies... He treatment of Indians was deplorable, but much worse were Cortez, DeSoto, and Balboa.

I don't know much about the treatment of the natives at the hands of Cortez, DeSoto, and Balboa. I guess my interest was primarily in Columbus because of the holiday and veneration of him which strikes me as odd considering how inhumane he was. If those guys were worse, I'm not sure I want to know what they did.

I do not care what race he was persecuting... but his behaviors were in direct violation of the constitution ... so yes he should have been impeached. The decision was popular with the majority of people and congressmen though so he was not. That is what the constitution is supposed to do though.. provide (nearly) immutable rules to protect the rights of the minority from the voting strength of the majority.

You are right, sad to say. The Indians did not have ANYONE in their corner here aside from the Marshall court.

I don't know much about the treatment of the natives at the hands of Cortez, DeSoto, and Balboa. I guess my interest was primarily in Columbus because of the holiday and veneration of him which strikes me as odd considering how inhumane he was. If those guys were worse, I'm not sure I want to know what they did.

Do some reading on Cortez and you will find Columbus will look like Gandhi compared to him.

http://library.thinkquest.org/16325/y-conq.html

You are right, sad to say. The Indians did not have ANYONE in their corner here aside from the Marshall court.

Except for the constitution that everyone conveniently ignored. Of course the courts have done their fair share of mangling the constitution ... the ever expansive interpretation of the commerce clause is a good example of that... I think the went too far in the 1940's and have just kept going.

Im 103% progressive with a view towards long term good rather than short term fixes and government intervention.

Vine DeLoria wrote (and compiled) several precedent-shattering works on the Native experience. I would strongly recommend almost any of his titles if you are looking for a broader understanding about US treatment of Native Americans.

Otherwise, David Stannard's _American Holocaust_ is a chilling overview of how native culture was overrun by the Old World.

As far as not hewing a particular line of political thought: I find the positions I took in younger years have shifted over time. What I took as economic "gospel" (pun intended) back then has become less consistently applied, and much more radical. I'm sure in 10 years more my outlook will have shifted again.

The farther South you go from Canada the worse the indigenous natives are treated.

Wrong... I think they were the single most slighted and poorly treated race of people on this planet.

I believe Andrew Jackson should have been impeached for his treatment of Indians and their removal.

I meant this...
crying-indian_fullhead80p.jpg

The farther South you go from Canada the worse the indigenous natives are treated.

Yeah the Iroquois even get to represent themselves as a nation in the World Championships of Lacrosse. As a Lacrosse player this may be the coolest thing ever... http://www.iroquoisnationals.com/program.html.

Some of the Nations who compete in the international competition have a pretty thin pool of lacrosse players to draw from... it is almost enough to make me consider trying to become a citizen of Ireland... or Argentina.

My political philosophy:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YbJqswLi3uE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YbJqswLi3uE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Not sure which "side" it's ideologically tied-to, though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom