Are you ready to move on from Drew Brees? (1 Viewer)

Are you ready to move on from Drew Brees?

• Yes

Votes: 96 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 191 61.6%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 35 11.3%

• Total voters
I really hope Drew doesn’t read this board.

Unless his arm just totally loses it like Manning did in Denver his last season, then we could easily make another Super Bowl run with Drew. Taysom or whoever will get their chance, but Drew is not done unless he wants to be. Add a WR, depth at Oline and a couple defensive players and make another run at it. Maybe Kamara will even play like he did the season before last.

I don’t understand wanting to move on from an elite QB just so we can move on to the unknown when we still have the players in place to win a super bowl. I’m all for Taysom Hill or whoever plays when Brees is gone, but heck no I don’t want Brees to go yet. I remember the years before 2006 and they were pretty miserable.

Because Brees won’t always be elite. He’s going to be 41. Along with Brady, he’s already done it better, longer than any QB in NFL history. We have two other younger, cheaper options, who frankly might be better than Brees next year (if he does regress). If you wait for him to drop off...it’s too late. We would have lost a season and potentially key assets that can keep this thing going. Honestly, my heart says to keep Brees, but my mind says to move forward.

Love Drew but I think our window extends greatly if we find a exceptional rookie QB on cap friendly rookie contract or get a modest veteran contract. Being able to surround a cheaper paid QB with talent has always been the winning formula. Brees Wilson Rodgers Foles/Wentz Flacco Eli all won on cheap deals, once their cap hits shot up, they haven’t won another title.

I respect the opinion, but I think this is largely a popular myth.

I think all of your list, bar possibly one (Flacco, perhaps Wilson?) were on their second contract or more. And once you get to the second contract, no modern QB is in any way cheap.

The rookie contract QBs who win division titles - there are some, yes.

But ones who win titles- no. I don't count Wentz as Foles won the playoff games.

I'm ready to move on from Brees not because I don't think he cant play anymore but because of attrition, and this Team being built to win without Brees as shown by the 5-0 record Bridgewater had starting in his place, couple that with Taysom Hill and his athletic ability we are set up for life after Brees and we don't want to end up like New England where they traded away possible successers to Brady in Garapolo and Brissett now they are in a strange place with the direction they will go in.

Payton and Loomis have built this team up for life without Brees, Payton and his genius has found a QB (Hill) that he feels he can win with and likes the edge that Hill brings to the table with his athletic ability that he feels can rival that of Deshawn Watson or Lamar Jackson or even Josh Allen in Buffalo.

Nope. I'd like to see him play one more season, but announce ahead of the season that it is his last. It will let him get closure during the season and allow everyone to live in the now and plan for the future at the same time. Right now, the unknown is brutal.

I respect the opinion, but I think this is largely a popular myth.

I think all of your list, bar possibly one (Flacco, perhaps Wilson?) were on their second contract or more. And once you get to the second contract, no modern QB is in any way cheap.

The rookie contract QBs who win division titles - there are some, yes.

But ones who win titles- no. I don't count Wentz as Foles won the playoff games.
Flacco was still on his rookie contract(albeit before the current rookie contract structure) and was paid the year after his SB run. Wilson was the lowest paid starting QB his SB year (he made like 500k) and was paid the year after in 2015.

there’s an advantage to finding a franchise QB in the draft and stacking the deck on defense/skill players before you have to pay him franchise money by year 5. Chiefs Ravens Cowboys Rams, Texans, Browns Bears to an extent are examples of this. Thats the true super bowl window to me. And with the exception of Brady, no QB has won a SB making more than 20/mill a year, that includes Brees Rodgers Wilson even Manning who made 18 and maxed at 20, in his contracts with the Broncos

Flacco was still on his rookie contract(albeit before the current rookie contract structure) and was paid the year after his SB run. Wilson was the lowest paid starting QB his SB year (he made like 500k) and was paid the year after in 2015.

there’s an advantage to finding a franchise QB in the draft and stacking the deck on defense/skill players before you have to pay him franchise money by year 5. Chiefs Ravens Cowboys Rams, Texans, Browns Bears to an extent are examples of this. Thats the true super bowl window to me. And with the exception of Brady, no QB has won a SB making more than 20/mill a year, that includes Brees Rodgers Wilson even Manning who made 18 and maxed at 20, in his contracts with the Broncos
Yes, Flacco and Wilson were both on those deals, absolutely (I went and checked after posting). That's the dream, isn't it?

But all those others you have just cited haven't won a championship yet, which is what I meant when saying that they might have some division titles, but not Super Bowl titles. It's just very noticeable that the QBs winning them are ones being paid high amounts on their second contract, so there's a trend we have to at least acknowledge.

By the way, I don't really go for the $20m figure as a watermark for a 'high' contract when looking at recent history, because getting paid $10-$18m was the high watermark as recently as 5 years ago. It's not easy to compare with the rapidly escalating amounts paid to the position, of course.

Of course, Mahomes may well break the trend on Sunday by being another SB winner on his rookie contract. But then he'll get what Flacco and Wilson got after their titles, a big fat QB contract from their team. So ultimately, it's only moneyball until you get a ring, and then you fall into the same 'expensive' habit as every other team who found a decent QB, because no one wants to let a good one go. This is your window, then, as you say, but if it was really moneyball, you'd be able to dump that newly expensive QB and just go find another one at better value. But it's clearly very hard to do, because no one has yet refused to give out that mega extension. Ultimately, the market sets the price and that's why QBs are costing so much.

Dude is possibly the greatest quarterback in the history of the NFL so no, I won't be ready to move on from him until his right arm falls off and even then I would think about wanting him to get a robotic arm and continue playing.

The title asks it all, “Are you ready to move on from Drew Brees?”

I would say it’s a simple question however hardly anything is simple these days.
If he comes back Payton needs to redesign his offense to emphasize the run more and bring in tall receivers with good hands to win battle with the DB's in the short passing attack.

The title asks it all, “Are you ready to move on from Drew Brees?”

I would say it’s a simple question however hardly anything is simple these days.
If he demands a 20 mil contract without incentives then let him walk. I say 20 mil but with incentives.

If he demands a 20 mil contract without incentives then let him walk. I say 20 mil but with incentives.
Negotiations are between two parties. There is no requirement for the player to accept significantly less than what he has previously been paid. That is what $20m would be, however you package it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom