Are you ready to move on from Drew Brees? (1 Viewer)

Are you ready to move on from Drew Brees?

• Yes

Votes: 96 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 191 61.6%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 35 11.3%

• Total voters
I think I'm more "prepared" for the inevitable now than I have been at any point. That's not to say that I'm going to be anything but devastated when he finally decides to hang it up -- just that the brief period this season where he was out and the players dug deep and rallied around Teddy made me realize that we have a really good competitive nucleus on this team.

But having said that...

We will never have another QB like Drew. He embodies all that we want our sports heroes to be. He's a fierce competitor, driven, direct, honest, fair, respectful, humble and just also happens to one of the best to ever play the game.

It actually gives me a knot in the pit of my stomach when I think of all the amazing things that have happened to our once moribund franchise since taking a chance on an undersized guy with a busted throwing shoulder.

It seems like a dream and it's bittersweet that regardless if he decides to walk away now or a year from now --- that we'll eventually have to wake up from this dream.

I'd love to go back in time to the days when the reality of time and age didn't seem so "real".

I know this is unpopular, but Brees has been fading at the end of the seasons now for the last couple of years. He still has those moments, but his moments are getting fewer and further between. The offense seems to have changed also. Instead of going for a kill, it seems it has become more about safety and control. Everyone is blaming the line, but Brees has become immobile and hasn’t been working down the route tree routinely trying to extend defenses and keep them off balance. Now it’s about short passing and high percentage. If they can do that and win, they do, but when teams roll things up and challenge the offense it cannot respond.
Fading at the end of the season?

Last 7 games of the regular season.

180-242 = 74%
1911 yards
22 TD's
1 int

I'm not ready to move on, but I AM tired of having to keep worrying about how much time Drew has left with us. It's kind of exhausting, and I think I'm at the point where I'm fine with whatever decision he decides to make.
Quit worrying about it and enjoy it.

Nope. He can play out there in a wheel chair for all I care.

Seriously though, he just had a stellar year with only one person to throw it to. If I were him, I’d wait and see if we sign a decent receiver. If we don’t, I’d say screw it.

He was playing at an elite level all last season. It’s crazy to me that people vote yes. Mind boggling.

I want to say no, but I honestly believe this year was our last chance with him at QB. I can't deny that there is a clear decline in his ability to stretch defenses and it's becoming easier for teams to play defense against us (Putting it on the receivers is not the whole story. We saw multiple times this year where receivers got past the defense and he underthrew them).

I can't say that Taysom or Teddy will win more games than Brees would next year, but my belief is that the SB is now out of reach with Brees at QB (Unless we put together a truly elite defense).

Flame away.

I think we move on from Brees because I think Drew moves on, meaning he retires. I’m not saying that’s good and I love Drew and we will miss him. But just from various clues, I don’t think Brees comes back but decides to retire. Brees hasn’t talked about how he really wants to come back and is all in on a new contract. He says he will take a month to decide and that he even says he may or may not come back. He has said that he will either be a Saint or retire, so that gives up any re-signing leverage he might have. Russell Wilson giving up the starting spot in the Pro Bowl to Brees with Wilson thinking this might be Brees’s last football game. Did Brees say something to him? Brees has been on national TV a lot recently – Undercover Boss and Brain Games – which is giving networks, Drew, and the U.S. a look at how he handles and does on national TV. In Brain Games, they asked him about how he would like to have certain abilities and he didn’t say he needed them for being a QB but to stand up to his children. He has plenty of non-football businesses that probably need his attention, Jimmy Johns and Untuckit, to name a few. Then along with his age, the $21 million dead money we owe him along with the money demands of a new contract, with Taysom waiting in the wings needing to play and with the Saints probably offering him less playing time next season and then less money because of that, I just think Drew is planning on retiring. I hope I’m wrong, but for me, the clues seem to be moving in that direction.

I feel like he's ready, too. There's not much else to play for except another SuperBowl, but it's a tough road to get there. I also think that Brees doesn't want to leave the Saints in a bad place. He wants to make sure there is a plan without him before he moves on.

I voted yes, but it's not because I WANT to move on from Drew Brees. But for a couple years now, I've been preparing myself for the inevitable. I'm in a spot where I could go either way. Happy if he comes back, but ready to eventually find out what comes next.

Before this year, I was always all in on making sure Brees was a Saint no matter the cost, but now I've made peace with whatever decision he makes.

I'm not but I am. All I can say. I don't want to see Drew just fall off the table and look awful all of the sudden. It usually happens fast.

Also, 80,000 yards and 600 TDs would be really cool if the Saints are winning.

Not yet. But it's close. And I hope we have a contingency plan for if his arm goes noodle (whether injury or just age) mid-season like Manning's did his last season.

While I believe that his declining arm strength creates some limitations in our offense, I don't really think there's anyone we could get in here next year that would be more effective than Brees. Not even Teddy, who I think has a really bright future as a starter in the league, and certainly not Taysom Hill, about whom my thoughts are well known.

So I think you have to run it back, perhaps one last time, with Drew.

In a perfect world I'd like to see him play more conservatively, which would mean less checking out of run plays and into pass plays, and more throwing the ball away. But that's probably wishful thinking. Drew gonna Drew.

Last edited:
I'm not ready for Drew to retire. I can't say I'd ever be ready for that. 14 years of not having to worry about the most important position on the team? We Saints fans have been blessed. It's going to be a sad day when it happens. I will be happy for him and his family... that'll be my stance.

And I'm feeling like this will likely happen in the next month.

What I don't get is all the folk that are ready for him to leave. Out with the old and in with the new? wow. Can't throw the deep ball, or whatever knock they want to throw at him... We won 13 games and if you extrapolate what he did in the games he played over the entire season? He'd have once again been a finalist for League MVP. Washed up? Hardly. Drew did not lose the game vs the Vikings, the entire team did... and just barely. It happens, it's football. Matter of fact, vs the Vikings he led the team in a 4th quarter comeback to send the game into overtime. Vs SF a few weeks before... He drove us down the field and scored what should've been a game winning drive. But he can't throw a half dozen 50 yard bombs like he used too. So what? He's still a top 5 QB in the NFL.

And as for "in with the new", that sounds exciting. The reality is that the minute Drew retires, we become one of the many teams that are in the hunt for even an average NFL caliber starting QB. Maybe we're one of the lucky teams that find our guy right away and the train keeps on rolling. Statistics say that's not likely to happen. And even if it does... The guy, no matter how good he is, will not be anywhere near the QB Drew is. Even if he turns into one of the all time greats someday, it'll be just that. Someday. When Drew retires, all those that complained about Drew will get their due. I guess then they can turn their negative attention to whatever poor guy gets the first crack at the job.

And this is another reason I think Taysom is a good guy to go with for that job. Nobody expects him to come out day one as an all-pro, and so maybe he gets a little more love and patience from Saints fans. I doubt it, but maybe.

I'm not ready for Drew to retire. I can't say I'd ever be ready for that. 14 years of not having to worry about the most important position on the team? We Saints fans have been blessed. It's going to be a sad day when it happens. I will be happy for him and his family... that'll be my stance.

And I'm feeling like this will likely happen in the next month.

What I don't get is all the folk that are ready for him to leave. Out with the old and in with the new? wow. Can't throw the deep ball, or whatever knock they want to throw at him... We won 13 games and if you extrapolate what he did in the games he played over the entire season? He'd have once again been a finalist for League MVP. Washed up? Hardly. Drew did not lose the game vs the Vikings, the entire team did... and just barely. It happens, it's football. Matter of fact, vs the Vikings he led the team in a 4th quarter comeback to send the game into overtime. Vs SF a few weeks before... He drove us down the field and scored what should've been a game winning drive. But he can't throw a half dozen 50 yard bombs like he used too. So what? He's still a top 5 QB in the NFL.

And as for "in with the new", that sounds exciting. The reality is that the minute Drew retires, we become one of the many teams that are in the hunt for even an average NFL caliber starting QB. Maybe we're one of the lucky teams that find our guy right away and the train keeps on rolling. Statistics say that's not likely to happen. And even if it does... The guy, no matter how good he is, will not be anywhere near the QB Drew is. Even if he turns into one of the all time greats someday, it'll be just that. Someday. When Drew retires, all those that complained about Drew will get their due. I guess then they can turn their negative attention to whatever poor guy gets the first crack at the job.

And this is another reason I think Taysom is a good guy to go with for that job. Nobody expects him to come out day one as an all-pro, and so maybe he gets a little more love and patience from Saints fans. I doubt it, but maybe.

I completely agree with everything you've said.

I think those that are expressing anything that can be interpreted as "out with the old, in with the new" are just acknowledging the fact that, for the first time in his career as a Saint, there are limitations to Drew's game.

Despite his amazing numbers and the incredible performances this season, Drew can't do everything he used to do. When that happens, despite the greatness he's still showing -- you have to look to the future.

I really really believe in moneyball at the QB position.

Love Drew but I think our window extends greatly if we find a exceptional rookie QB on cap friendly rookie contract or get a modest veteran contract. Being able to surround a cheaper paid QB with talent has always been the winning formula. Brees Wilson Rodgers Foles/Wentz Flacco Eli all won on cheap deals, once their cap hits shot up, they haven’t won another title.

When the QB deal is cheaper, you can stack the defense and skill positions to where the QB dropoff is manageable. Imagine spreading 25+ mill around to several positions instead of being tied to just the QB. It’s the main reason teams like the Chiefs Ravens Texans are having so much success, just have to hit on the QB, which Payton can do.

of course I welcome him back but I think we could field a better overall team when he leaves. Hitting on draft picks has helped us greatly in the meantime

This is the best post I've read about the situation.

Coach Pete is saying they want Brees back, but as a mentor and part time player. What does part-time mean? I buzzed Pete and he didn't say. I don't think he knows either what part time means. I suspect heavily that would mean a reduction in pay. But idk.

Thx much for superb analysis!

Wait until we go through the pains of having a different QB then people will remember just how special Drew is.

You know that and you said that Perefect. As torn as I am about Brees, I can't imagine Brees no longer in Black and Gold. I do know that when that day happens, I am going to be down for a long time, even if the Saints are successful after Brees

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom