Are you willing to get the Covid vaccine when offered? (8 Viewers)

Will you get the covid vaccine when offered?

• Yes

Votes: 278 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 106 27.9%

• Total voters

So, if I'm reading this right, they aren't stopping vaccination, just the practice of trying to convince minors to get one. The parents should still be informed though, correct? No one is halting the administration of vaccines?

Yeah, I had a smoking person telling me how she was never getting the vaccine while I was in line to pick up a prescription for my daughter today. She was arguing about the cost of her shingles medicine.
I nearly puked.
I had shingles from late December 2009 through February 2010. Think about what was going on during that time frame. When the vaccine came out, I wasted no time getting it.

So, if I'm reading this right, they aren't stopping vaccination, just the practice of trying to convince minors to get one. The parents should still be informed though, correct? No one is halting the administration of vaccines?

They are withdrawing public support by the TN Dept. of Health on vaccine information and outreach. So you are correct that they aren't halting administration of vaccines.

But it's not inconsequential and I don't think you can assume parents will still be objectively informed.

In 2012, the HHS Secretary commissioned a vaccine-confidence working group to study waning vaccine confidence in America, which the secretary described as a growing threat to public health in the United States. The group found that public information about vaccines was second only to the information obtained from the personal/family physician. Importantly, the group found that there was a direct correlation between vaccine hesitancy and the degree to which the person formed their vaccine beliefs based on information from the internet.

I can't find any data on what percentage of available vaccine literature in doctors offices and health clinics comes from state support, but I imagine it is very high. Think of those posters, pamphlets, etc. - plus outreach by state health agencies to child vaccination programs in pre-schools and elementary schools . . . those are all supported by the state health agency in some way. And, perhaps most importantly, I strongly suspect that this kind of outreach is particularly important in low income demographics that more often rely on state services and public health clinics, and who might not have the tools or resources to obtain quality information to formulate their own opinions. And conversely, if a primary source of quality information is removed from the environment, it leaves information sourcing to those with other interests, including monetary interests and anti-institutional interests that hyper-exaggerate low incidence of adverse results to further their agenda.

So on its face, it seems quite problematic unless Tennesseans are willing to concede that the state no longer has an interest in high vaccination rates. It clearly does and any conclusion that it doesn't is, in my opinion, just plain stupid. But if we presume that Tennessee lawmakers are at that point where they no longer consider high vaccination rates to be in the state's interest, isn't it easy to imagine that the next step would be to prohibit state-funded health agencies, clinics, and physicians, from endorsing vaccination?

To be sure, the medium to long-term effect of this is almost certainly to be reduced rates of vaccination in Tennessee. Any additional anti-vaccination action by these lawmakers would amplify that result.

See, e.g. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4612166/

Last edited:
While she does have some co-workers who have some batshirt crazy opinions on different subjects, Covid-19 is not one of them. They all have had to deal with the outcome of people believing crazy conspiracy theories about this stuff. I can't speak for other hospitals, though.
I can speak for my daughters hospital. Everyone of the nurses there have been vaccinated. My daughter caught the Alpha strain while intubating a patient who coughed on her. She got the Phizer as soon as it was available.

I had shingles from late December 2009 through February 2010. Think about what was going on during that time frame. When the vaccine came out, I wasted no time getting it.
I did as well. Thank God, I've never suffered from it,but I did have chicken pox as a kid. I saw what it did to my nephew. He could only sleep in a recliner sitting up. If you ever had chicken pox,getting the shingles vaccine is a wise idea.

So they can't even get a flu shot or their regular booster shots for school? What the fork is wrong with people?
They didn't halt the actual shots, just the outreach advertising for kids to come in and get vaccinated. I heard part of the story from the doctor that was fired. Apparently providers were in situations where 16 and 17 year olds were coming in without their parents to get shots and those providers were asking for advice of what to do in those situations. The doctor checked with legal who pointed her to a Tennessee Supreme Court decision that stated that kids 14 and up can make medical decisions for themselves without their parents. She wrote up a memo and sent it to the providers. That messaging apparently flipped the crazy switch for some, calling for the elimination of the department of health. What happened since, including her firing, is the extreme overreation to that memo which was simply reporting settled case law in the state.

Crazy times man. Crazy times.

SFIAH

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom