Are you willing to get the Covid vaccine when offered? (1 Viewer)

Will you get the covid vaccine when offered?

• Yes

Votes: 148 82.2%
  • No

Votes: 34 18.9%

• Total voters

Dre

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
About half of the people I know, including nurses, seem very reluctant to get the vaccination. Surprisingly, this includes different political demographics. What better way to settle it than by coming to a Saints message board.

edit: Geez I somehow allowed people to pick more than one answer on a yes/no poll. Doh!

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
Louisiana released their list. I had to call a few pharmacies, I got through to one not too far away. I was able to get my Dad on the list, he is one of the first 100 people on the list at this particular pharmacy. (Each pharmacy is getting 100 doses.) Their phone has been ringing off the hook. They expect their shipment of Moderna vaccine to arrive this afternoon.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Louisiana released their list. I had to call a few pharmacies, I got through to one not too far away. I was able to get my Dad on the list, he is one of the first 100 people on the list at this particular pharmacy. (Each pharmacy is getting 100 doses.) Their phone has been ringing off the hook. They expect their shipment of Moderna vaccine to arrive this afternoon.
This question is in your wheelhouse so I'll ask. I've read and heard the reason vaccinations are lacking is due to the FDA not fully authorizing the vaccines. Those administered now are under an emergency act which has led to delays and confusion

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This question is in your wheelhouse so I'll ask. I've read and heard the reason vaccinations are lacking is due to the FDA not fully authorizing the vaccines. Those administered now are under an emergency act which has led to delays and confusion
I don't think that is the case. The vaccines are under an EUA but that is not a direct issue with getting shots in arms. I believe it has led to a "reluctance" among some people to get the vaccine, but I don't think that is the issue with a slower than expected roll out. The vaccines are very cold, have to be thawed and mixed, have to get drawn and administered, that takes time. BUT, people have to social distance before while in line, then wait for a possible reaction. This all goes slower than what you would like. I think pharmacies will be much more efficient at getting shots in arms.

I think Louisiana, and some other states, are taking the right approach by opening up more categories and starting to ship direct to pharmacies. You are probably getting close in some parts of the state and the country to running out of "willing" arms among the healthcare workers. States will be faced with a question; do you "hold" onto vaccine that some reluctant healthcare workers might want or do you start doing down the list and go to the next group in line? The Feds will ship more vaccine to the states that are using it. It is a Use it (Don't lose it) to get more doses. You use 10K doses, you are in line for maybe another 10K doses. You sit on 10K doses, you will hear crickets from the Feds when you call for more.

Louisiana looks to be doing things right. Governor is a very smart person and he has things humming as best he can.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
We don't have a supply problem or even a bureaucratic problem. We have a logistical distribution problem. When the manufacturers are saying they have doses that they need to know where to ship to and states saying they need more resources, that's where you look to first. The EUA allows use of the vaccine in the same manner as if it went though normal channels. A compassionate use authorization is different (as was the case with the antibody cocktail before it got an EUA).

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
I don't think that is the case. The vaccines are under an EUA but that is not a direct issue with getting shots in arms. I believe it has led to a "reluctance" among some people to get the vaccine, but I don't think that is the issue with a slower than expected roll out. The vaccines are very cold, have to be thawed and mixed, have to get drawn and administered, that takes time. BUT, people have to social distance before while in line, then wait for a possible reaction. This all goes slower than what you would like. I think pharmacies will be much more efficient at getting shots in arms.

I think Louisiana, and some other states, are taking the right approach by opening up more categories and starting to ship direct to pharmacies. You are probably getting close in some parts of the state and the country to running out of "willing" arms among the healthcare workers. States will be faced with a question; do you "hold" onto vaccine that some reluctant healthcare workers might want or do you start doing down the list and go to the next group in line? The Feds will ship more vaccine to the states that are using it. It is a Use it (Don't lose it) to get more doses. You use 10K doses, you are in line for maybe another 10K doses. You sit on 10K doses, you will hear crickets from the Feds when you call for more.

Louisiana looks to be doing things right. Governor is a very smart person and he has things humming as best he can.
Louisiana officials had a few missteps early, but to their credit, they listened to the experts and made the needed changes. Case in point, initially, organizations such as home health facilities and dialysis clinics and their patients were placed in a higher priority tier, even over general medical clinics that we were doing testing and treating patients with COVID (I work for such organization). After LDH heard our concerns, they quickly course-corrected things. In the end, we ended up getting twice the amount of the vaccine that we were initially told we would get and believe me, our patients have taken notice.

I will take JBE and his leadership over Ron DeSantis any day of the week and on weekends.

Krewe of Clyde's

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Over here in MS, they announced yesterday that people over 75 will "have access" to the vaccine next week and that those over 65 will "have access" to the vaccine the week after that. Of course, that doesn't guarantee that supply will meet the demand so it could be longer than that for our elderly to get vaccinated. My wife and I both qualify for the over 65 allotment. We both plan to take the shot. She is a retired RN and feels the vaccine is safe so I am happy to get it.

CapitalCitySaint

99% Practice; 1% Theory
Reaction score
I think it was this thread that I mentioned this; may have been the big COVID thread: One of my clients prior to Christmas had asked me to cancel the next few weeks of our weekly meeting because he was on a reserve list of docs in the state who are able to care for critically ill patients. He got called up to serve at a makeshift hospital in a community college gym down in Imperial County (read: lots of farm workers & day laborers in that area).

We had our first meeting in weeks and he was telling us how it went. Said that 90% of the patients he saw were Hispanic (not surprising given what I stated above about the county). Most of them had co-morbidities; predominantly diabetes and/or obesity. Said 1/3 would have died if the makeshift ICU unit did not exist (as hospital ICU's were at capacity), 1/3 will survive with further complications and 1/3 will go on to recover normally without further issues.

Said one guy went to a doc in the box or maybe to Mexico (he couldn't remember). Tested positive but was asymptomatic so, went back home where they have a multi-generational large household and didn't bother to isolate outside the home citing no place to go nor did he bother to even isolate in one room in his house; infected every single other member of the house who all have had very severe cases with symptoms.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Over here in MS, they announced yesterday that people over 75 will "have access" to the vaccine next week and that those over 65 will "have access" to the vaccine the week after that. Of course, that doesn't guarantee that supply will meet the demand so it could be longer than that for our elderly to get vaccinated. My wife and I both qualify for the over 65 allotment. We both plan to take the shot. She is a retired RN and feels the vaccine is safe so I am happy to get it.

I received good news today. I work at Keesler AFB and considered an essential employee. The base commander has us moved
to the next level who will receive the shot . Should be early next week

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Any idea where to find the specifics of the vaccine announcements? Getting different information from every website.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
An acquaintance of mine just tweeted that about 17 hours after her second dose of the vaccine she ran the full gamut of symptoms for about 3 hours. She said that some rest and ibuprofen seems to have set things right.

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is the sort of thing you expect, but it still should tick people off.

"NYC real estate brothers Bill and David S. Mack allegedly personally arranged for a host of their wealthy friends from Manhattan and the ritzy Palm Beach Country Club to get the COVID-19 vaccine at a Florida retirement home.

While elderly Florida residents line up overnight for the vaccine, sources say the Macks allegedly “made a list” of one-percenters given the chance to receive the vaccine, and some even allegedly flew in on private jets from NYC for the jab."

"It costs upward of $100,000 to join the exclusive country club, and applications are said to have skyrocketed as more people have relocated from Manhattan to the Palm Beach area in 2020."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)