Are you willing to get the Covid vaccine when offered? (9 Viewers)

Will you get the covid vaccine when offered?

• Yes

Votes: 278 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 106 27.9%

• Total voters

Eventually some of these people are going to realize they've been duped and change their mind.

Or die. either way.

I would argue it's as much misinformation in social media as it is politics. Probably a good bit of both, but I think people generally trust their friends on social media more than they do politicians.
Social media is not sentient. Those trusted friends on social media, they get their anti-vax/anti-science message from religious and political sources.

Social media is not sentient. Those trusted friends on social media, they get their anti-vax/anti-science message from religious and political sources.
Sure, to some degree. But, a lot of people like to pretend they're experts too, which I think is where a lot of the loony stuff comes from. Sorta like when grandma says "back in the day, this is how we treated the flu" or some such. A lot of people believe the stuff they hear on the radio, which is also a form of social media to some degree. Many of those radio hosts have their own ideas which often have little to do with reality. There some mix of politics and religion in just about every topic, and Covid is no exception.

Sure, to some degree. But, a lot of people like to pretend they're experts too, which I think is where a lot of the loony stuff comes from. Sorta like when grandma says "back in the day, this is how we treated the flu" or some such. A lot of people believe the stuff they hear on the radio, which is also a form of social media to some degree. Many of those radio hosts have their own ideas which often have little to do with reality. There some mix of politics and religion in just about every topic, and Covid is no exception.

When grandma says "back in the day this is how we treated the flu" it is most likely because that is how they treated the flu, but we know better now.

And radio is indeed a medium, although not a form of social media, as the masses don't have ready access to two-way communication through radio.

Still, radio isn't sentient either, and when it comes specifically to covid-19, the lines are very well drawn and very obvious; so are the sources.

An estimated 2,600 Los Angeles Police Department employees are citing religious objections to try to get out of the required COVID-19 vaccination. In Washington state, thousands of state workers are seeking similar exemptions.

And in Arkansas, a hospital has been swamped with so many such requests from employees that it is apparently calling their bluff.

Religious objections, once used sparingly around the country to get exempted from various required vaccines, are becoming a much more widely used loophole against the COVID-19 shot…..

The allowance was enshrined in the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964, which says employers must make reasonable accommodations for employees who object to work requirements because of “sincerely held” religious beliefs.

A religious belief does not have to be recognized by an organized religion, and it can be new, unusual or “seem illogical or unreasonable to others,” according to rules laid out by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. But it can’t be founded solely on political or social ideas.

That puts employers in the position of determining what is a legitimate religious belief and what is a dodge…….

I have one major problem with this argument:

Assuming that the reports that previously infected have a higher resistance to the virus than the fully vaccinated are true, there is a (perhaps) marginal benefit to getting a single shot on top of the previous antibody response. Is this marginal benefit worth contaminating the data sets so that we can truly analyze natural immunity vs. vaccine immunity?

What about long term effects of the vaccine? Maybe there are no harmful long-term effects, but if there are, wouldn't it be great to have a control group of previously infected, unvaccinated people to compare to? Should we be so eager to throw that away?
There are likely incredibly rare long-term consequences of the vaccine. But guess what…there are also longterm consequences of COVID, which are more than theoretical and anecdotal. It makes a lot of sense from a public health perspective to get herd immunity ASAP. That happens most efficiently with vaccination. Even if you think that natural immunity is “better” or at least equal to vaccination…you can’t deny that herd immunity would be more quickly obtained via vaccination.

Bleu,

How have they been shown to be extremely well-researched? What is the basis for that assumption?

The NIH performed an analysis of medical information posted on YouTube. MedCram was listed as the most reliable channel.

Can you provide links to the correlative studies? Causative studies?

The correlative studies are all over the place, and easily found. Causative are a bit tougher. I remember seeing one, but I can't remember where. It could have been an awful study, might have been great. The preponderance of evidence, however, does support positive outcomes related to Vitamin D supplementation. Anecdotally, I haven't suffered from allergies since I started taking Vitamin D supplements. The aforementioned MedCram video details how it regulates the Ace 2 receptors in cells, which likely also prevents negative responses to allergens (like, that's just my opinion, man! in my best Lebowski voice).

And yes, some of my "complete solution" is found on MedCram, as well as other channels. And, also yes, that study DID indicate that more research was needed. The MedCram update 97 was from July of 2020, over one year ago. If the correlation indicated from that research is correct, we have been happily ignoring it for well over a year. If it is correct, then how many people are dead because we ignored those early indications? And yes, if it is NOT correct, then how many people are dead because they relied on that advice (fair is fair).

I am hopeful that we will all exit this endemic (no longer a pandemic!) much more knowledgeable about the immune system. IF (and yes, I do mean IF) there is a good correlation between supplements like Vitamin D, zinc, and others with good health outcomes, then we can possibly be much healthier as a society.

I am NOT anti-vaccine, though I do not believe that I would be greatly helped by it. I am also not anti-mask, though I choose to no longer wear one except when required. Especially in the beginning, I was probably one of the biggest maskers out there, even before anybody else was wearing them. I felt really weird the first time I wore one to the grocery store. I even bought a large supply of the blue shop towels which were shown to offer near-equivalent filtration as N-95. I have been paying attention to this virus since well-before it was seen as a serious threat.
Vitamin D lol. Good one. Vitamin D has been linked to good health…not because people who supplement with Vitamin D are more healthy…we get almost all Vitamin D from sunlight. People who are healthy tend to be outside of the home more. People who are more wealthy are also outside of the home more…and socioeconomic factors are huge in health. Also…certain races, such as African Americans, are at higher risk of vitamin D deficiency, and AA’s tend to have a shorter life expectancy. I’m hoping that you are seeing the confounders of studying a topic such as vitamin D…especially without good multivariant analysis. People aren’t unhealthy because the lack of vitamin D…their lack of Vitamin D demonstrates that they are a part of a demographic that tends to be less healthy.

Last edited:
Pull back that fur and stick out that paw.
The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore said Tuesday that it plans to vaccinate some of its animals this fall against the coronavirus. The vaccine shots will be administered to more than 30 animals, including chimpanzees, North American river otters, an Amur leopard, cheetahs, lions, bobcats, lemurs and one American badger named Makoda with razor-sharp claws.

No animals at the Maryland Zoo have gotten covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, since the pandemic started more than a year ago. But the vaccine will “add another layer of protection for the animals in our care,” Ellen Bronson, senior director of animal health, conservation and research at the Maryland Zoo, said in a statement.

The Maryland Zoo is one of 70 zoos, sanctuaries and conservatories in the United States getting the coronavirus vaccine donated from Zoetis, a publicly traded drug company headquartered in Parsippany, N.J. Zoetis makes medicines and vaccines for livestock and pets.

It was previously a subsidiary of the huge pharmaceutical company Pfizer before it spun off and became a separate entity…….

Pull back that fur and stick out that paw.
The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore said Tuesday that it plans to vaccinate some of its animals this fall against the coronavirus. The vaccine shots will be administered to more than 30 animals, including chimpanzees, North American river otters, an Amur leopard, cheetahs, lions, bobcats, lemurs and one American badger named Makoda with razor-sharp claws.

No animals at the Maryland Zoo have gotten covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, since the pandemic started more than a year ago. But the vaccine will “add another layer of protection for the animals in our care,” Ellen Bronson, senior director of animal health, conservation and research at the Maryland Zoo, said in a statement.

The Maryland Zoo is one of 70 zoos, sanctuaries and conservatories in the United States getting the coronavirus vaccine donated from Zoetis, a publicly traded drug company headquartered in Parsippany, N.J. Zoetis makes medicines and vaccines for livestock and pets.

It was previously a subsidiary of the huge pharmaceutical company Pfizer before it spun off and became a separate entity…….

Surely it has been posted here that Mike the Tiger had his COVID shot?

Also, 5,308 posts (and counting), are we nearing dinosaur thread territory?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom