Are you willing to get the Covid vaccine when offered? (15 Viewers)

Will you get the covid vaccine when offered?

• Yes

Votes: 278 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 106 27.9%

• Total voters
What's everyone's take on getting the flu shot after getting fully vaxxed for COVID? Any studies done? I've seen docs saying that it "should" be safe. I realize that they're completely different, but with Pfizer, etc. being rushed to market, I am wondering if there may have been trial studies somewhere along the line to see how the two vaccines interact.

I would opt to get my flu vaccine well in advance of booster (assuming the booster becomes available for my group).

Anyone here get their flu shot that is also fully COVID vaccinated?
Easy answer here. If you are a mask wearing loyalist, that still wash your hands and sanitize often....especially after every contact. You dont need a flu shot.

The flu numbers plummeted last year due to people doing exactly what I mentioned above. None of the numbers and stats really matter.

But, if you are one that have relaxed the standards, and taking chances being unmasked...and not sanitizing after contacts....you need a flu shot.

They do not counteract, nor is there any reason to not take it....again, unless you stay masked, sanitized and vaxxed.

but with Pfizer, etc. being rushed to market
To be clear, Pfizer, et. al. was no more "rushed to market" than you were to Dallas.

Also, to be clear, I am a very high-risk (ask anyone here) patient who is fully vaccinated (Pfizer) and in visits with my doctors (three) I have been advised of the following:
  • take the flu shot
  • take the pneumonia shot
  • we'll hold off on the booster for the moment
So, instead of asking a random group of strangers who can only provide anecdotal information, I suggest you pick up the phone and call your doctor. They know you best and can make recommendations for you.

Easy answer here. If you are a mask wearing loyalist, that still wash your hands and sanitize often....especially after every contact. You dont need a flu shot.

The flu numbers plummeted last year due to people doing exactly what I mentioned above. None of the numbers and stats really matter.

But, if you are one that have relaxed the standards, and taking chances being unmasked...and not sanitizing after contacts....you need a flu shot.

They do not counteract, nor is there any reason to not take it....again, unless you stay masked, sanitized and vaxxed.
I'd disagree with that. Using masks and sanitizer is great, but it's not magic, and not a reason to not get the flu shot. Avoiding exposure to viruses entirely is hard, since even if you can keep up a high level of protection yourself, your risk of exposure is still dependent on those around you doing the same, especially so in situations where you're not using a mask (e.g. at home).

My wife just got hers, and she's fully vaccinated and pregnant. I'll be getting mine in a few weeks.

I know a few people that have and have had no issues. I wouldn't hesitate at all. I know one person that got a booster and flu shot in the same visit.
I went with the "wait two weeks" approach. Mostly because I didn't want to risk feeling the side effects of two shots at once. Tomorrow is my flu shot after getting the booster two Fridays ago.

What's everyone's take on getting the flu shot after getting fully vaxxed for COVID? Any studies done? I've seen docs saying that it "should" be safe. I realize that they're completely different, but with Pfizer, etc. being rushed to market, I am wondering if there may have been trial studies somewhere along the line to see how the two vaccines interact.

I would opt to get my flu vaccine well in advance of booster (assuming the booster becomes available for my group).

I thought that I had read (possibly on one of the covid threads on this site) that the flu shot may actually have benefits against Covid. I cannot remember if the study indicated whether the added protection was against catching the virus or the symptoms not being as bad, but I believe it was the latter.

I'd disagree with that. Using masks and sanitizer is great, but it's not magic, and not a reason to not get the flu shot. Avoiding exposure to viruses entirely is hard, since even if you can keep up a high level of protection yourself, your risk of exposure is still dependent on those around you doing the same, especially so in situations where you're not using a mask (e.g. at home).

My wife just got hers, and she's fully vaccinated and pregnant. I'll be getting mine in a few weeks.
Good point about being around family and still catching it.

I usually wait until late October but I might do it this weekend. I'll post here if it kills me.

I thought that I had read (possibly on one of the covid threads on this site) that the flu shot may actually have benefits against Covid. I cannot remember if the study indicated whether the added protection was against catching the virus or the symptoms not being as bad, but I believe it was the latter.
What I remember from that is that it's possible that the flu shot "wakes up" your immune system or puts it more "on alert" which puts it in a ready to fight mode. Other theories include the thought that people who get the flu shot may be more inclined to take care of themselves.

What I remember from that is that it's possible that the flu shot "wakes up" your immune system or puts it more "on alert" which puts it in a ready to fight mode. Other theories include the thought that people who get the flu shot may be more inclined to take care of themselves.
That theory is crap, I always get a flu shot and take terrible care of myself LOL

Fair points. The fam and I tend to wear a mask in public places still. My 6 year old cannot receive a vaccine so we like to take precautions to protect him.

To be clear, Pfizer, et. al. was no more "rushed to market" than you were to Dallas.

Also, to be clear, I am a very high-risk (ask anyone here) patient who is fully vaccinated (Pfizer) and in visits with my doctors (three) I have been advised of the following:
  • take the flu shot
So, instead of asking a random group of strangers who can only provide anecdotal information, I suggest you pick up the phone and call your doctor. They know you best and can make recommendations for you.
Thanks. What I meant was whether or not there were studies to see if there were contraindications, etc.

Of course I have consulted with my PCP and his advice was to get the flu shot. No right-minded doc would advocate against it.

Again, not here for medical advice- wondering if anyone has seen studies or if anyone personally experienced side effects. It's worth asking.

BTW- I have been in Dallas since the Cowboys last won a Superbowl. So ages ago, lol.

• take the flu shot
At the risk of displaying my ignorance, I wasn't aware there was a pneumonia shot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom