Are you willing to get the Covid vaccine when offered? (23 Viewers)

Will you get the covid vaccine when offered?

• Yes

Votes: 270 79.2%
  • No

Votes: 76 22.3%

• Total voters

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting read
============
The official U.S. approval of a coronavirus vaccine for elementary school students removes one of the last barriers to ending the pandemic, but it’s obvious that a significant portion of the country will never fully embrace vaccination.

We’ve tried just about every form of positive motivation, including emphasizing family reunions, giving away beer and dangling $5 million in lottery winnings — with mixed results.

For example, researchers found that Ohio’s distinctive lottery program didn’t actually affect vaccination rates.

To combat vaccine hesitancy, we need to grasp its psychological roots. Alongside skepticism of institutions and experts, exposure to misinformation, and other often-cited reasons for resisting vaccines sits a clear emotional explanation: Many people are afraid that they’ll make a bad decision. They’re influenced by the psychology of anticipated regret.

Understanding this reaction can help us get more shots into arms, removing one of the final obstacles to controlling the virus.
It’s widely understood that when humans make decisions, they engage in a cost-benefit analysis.

But psychologists have shown that people also conduct a less-rational calculation involving the regret they might experience. When deciding which of two roads to go down, they not only consider the statistical probabilities but also implicitly imagine their reactions to worst-case scenarios.

In these analyses, potential bad outcomes weigh heavier on the mind than equally likely positive possibilities.
When do people anticipate feeling the most regret? When outcomes will derive from actions they take (as opposed to the consequences of declining to act), research shows.

Psychologists — notably Daniel Kahneman, who won a Nobel Prize in economics for his work on decision-making — have demonstrated these tendencies in a series of experiments. For example, Kahneman found that people anticipate feeling more regret if they were to lose money by switching to a new stock vs. taking a loss on their current stock.

And this regret is maximally intensified when we freely choose to take action — we are not ordered or coerced — and when it involves new or experimental activities.

For example, Kahneman found that people anticipate more regret when imagining an accident that occurs while driving home along a new route compared with driving on one’s normal route. Anticipated regret is why people often prefer to stand still rather than move forward……

The collapse of resistance to the mandates, following fierce pledges to quit, is puzzling until you consider the psychology of regret. When people don’t feel the weight of making their own choice, they aren’t as tormented by the anticipated negative outcomes of their decision.

Mandates externalize responsibility for getting vaccinated — shifting it from the self to others — making it easier to go forward with getting a shot. (Confronting the reality of losing a job surely also has a persuasive effect.)……

At some point, we must let natural selection take over. I'm pretty sure we're at that point now.

Sailorsaint

Reaction score
I think, during the next pandemic, instead of getting vaxxed as soon as possible, I'll hold out until the govt offers me a million dollars to get vaxxed, then hem and haw about it for a day, then get jabbed and collect my retirement fund.

Eeyore

Ded
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think, during the next pandemic, instead of getting vaxxed as soon as possible, I'll hold out until the govt offers me a million dollars to get vaxxed, then hem and haw about it for a day, then get jabbed and collect my retirement fund.
Unfortunately, I doubt that they'll ever pay again. Ohio was doing payouts/lottery etc. They found that payouts didn't have an effect in terms of increasing the vaccinated population so they stopped.

As a small sample size. My employer offered $500 for fully vaccinated employees, and another $1000 if we reach 83%. We are at 54% and the number has not increased. The company pulled the offer.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I doubt that they'll ever pay again. Ohio was doing payouts/lottery etc. They found that payouts didn't have an effect in terms of increasing the vaccinated population so they stopped.

As a small sample size. My employer offered $500 for fully vaccinated employees, and another $1000 if we reach 83%. We are at 54% and the number has not increased. The company pulled the offer.

The incentives didn’t move the needle at all

The mandates did

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Was scheduled for 11:30 am yo get my booster at Walgreens. Get there early, end up having to wait because they're busy. Pharmacist puts my info into system and asks, "You sure you got your 2nd shot?" I said, "Yep, pretty sure and it says so on my card." He says it's not showing in their records system. Now, I did get both my 1st and 2nd at a local pharmacy, not Walgreens. So, he said he couldn't give me the booster and I'd have to contact the pharmacy to make sure they had put the 2nd in the system. Needless to say, I was pissed. I went home and installed LA Wallet and looked up my smart health card. What do you know? It showed both shots, dates, and lot numbers. I came to my local Walmart and got my booster no problem. I should swing by the Walgreens and show him my updated card.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Was scheduled for 11:30 am yo get my booster at Walgreens. Get there early, end up having to wait because they're busy. Pharmacist puts my info into system and asks, "You sure you got your 2nd shot?" I said, "Yep, pretty sure and it says so on my card." He says it's not showing in their records system. Now, I did get both my 1st and 2nd at a local pharmacy, not Walgreens. So, he said he couldn't give me the booster and I'd have to contact the pharmacy to make sure they had put the 2nd in the system. Needless to say, I was pissed. I went home and installed LA Wallet and looked up my smart health card. What do you know? It showed both shots, dates, and lot numbers. I came to my local Walmart and got my booster no problem. I should swing by the Walgreens and show him my updated card.
Hate to hear you had to go through this. There is no medical professional in their right mind who would put their name
and lot # the shot came from if you didn't receive it.

GW93

Original
Reaction score
I’m convinced that Walgreens is a stupid, stupid company.

Yes, two stupids.

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’m convinced that Walgreens is a stupid, stupid company.

Yes, two stupids.
While I was waiting to get told I couldn't get my booster, there was a guy in line who wanted to get a refill on some meds. It was a controlled substance (not sure what) and on his bottle, it showed he had two refills remaining (that's what he said). The pharmacist (same guy who couldn't get my booster right in the system) looked up the guy's prescription and told him, "Sir, the system is showing no refills." They got into it and the guy ended up leaving when the pharmacist said, "I'm not filling it, there's nothing in the system. Goodbye!" The guy got in a parting "fork you" as he headed out. Of course, I thought he might have just been someone looking to get more controlled meds without a refill, but now I'm not so sure. It might be that this pharmacist just can't get the computer system figured out.

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
While I was waiting to get told I couldn't get my booster, there was a guy in line who wanted to get a refill on some meds. It was a controlled substance (not sure what) and on his bottle, it showed he had two refills remaining (that's what he said). The pharmacist (same guy who couldn't get my booster right in the system) looked up the guy's prescription and told him, "Sir, the system is showing no refills." They got into it and the guy ended up leaving when the pharmacist said, "I'm not filling it, there's nothing in the system. Goodbye!" The guy got in a parting "fork you" as he headed out. Of course, I thought he might have just been someone looking to get more controlled meds without a refill, but now I'm not so sure. It might be that this pharmacist just can't get the computer system figured out.
It's possible the guy kept the bottle showing 2 refills, while actually getting the med filled 2 more times, therefore having no refills, but using that bottle to try and "trick" the pharmacist. If the system showed no more refills, the pharmacist could've told the person that they(Walgreens) could contact the prescribing physician to request more refills.

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's possible the guy kept the bottle showing 2 refills, while actually getting the med filled 2 more times, therefore having no refills, but using that bottle to try and "trick" the pharmacist. If the system showed no more refills, the pharmacist could've told the person that they(Walgreens) could contact the prescribing physician to request more refills.
Oh yes, I figured that's what had happened. Likely, that's what it was. Ah well, in any regard, I know which Walgreens I won't be going to in order to fill any future prescriptions.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The pharmacist may have been right there. Schedule 2 narcotics can't be refilled.

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I use a Schedule III medication and can't get a refill unless I see my doctor. I don't think pharmacies will even do a request.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom