Are you willing to get the Covid vaccine when offered? (13 Viewers)

Will you get the covid vaccine when offered?

• Yes

Votes: 278 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 106 27.9%

• Total voters
I think Delta is making another round. I got it almost 3 weeks ago, my uncle just died from it Tuesday (unvaxxed) and another friend of mine in the Los Angeles area got it - unvaxxed but fortunately got a pretty mild case.

Maybe it's just people in my orbit but it just feels like it's going around again after things had seemingly calmed down a bit.
The problem is that when we start to get a foothold, everyone let's down their guard, "oh, this thing has blown over, time to get back to my 2018 life."

So here's what I'm dealing with.

Last Tuesday my (vaccinated) 17 year old son woke up and told my wife and me that he had a fever, sore throat and mild cough. He had gone to a concert the Friday before (his first all ages club show -- he was so excited and had a blast), but it was indoors and he was moshing with the crowd so we figured that was probably where he contracted whatever he had.

Took him in to get tested, and the rapid test came back negative, but they said that since it was his first day of symptoms that we needed to wait for the PCR results to know for sure. As a precaution to my staff I let them know I would work remotely until the PCR results came in so if this was a breakthrough case I wouldn't spread it in the office. (Finally got confirmation over the weekend that it was just strep.)

However, that's only the beginning of the story -- specifically, why I was not in the office last week. Yesterday I get a text from one of my non-vaxxed staff members (I have four under me in my office, two vaxxed, two non-vaxxed) that she wasn't feeling well and had tested positive for COVID. I tell her to stay home and contact HR.

Then this morning the other non-vaxxed person texted me and told me she had also tested positive. I tell her to stay home as well and to contact HR. I then contacted my other two, and let them know that they were potentially exposed and that they will need to get a negative test before they come back in. They then tell me that patient zero was actually complaining about not feeling well while in the office on Friday (and I later learned that she told someone in HR that she actually started feeling bad on Thursday).

So, while I was working from home last week to not potentially expose my staff to whatever it was my son had, one of my staff was actually exposing everyone else to COVID -- even though we've had a standing policy for the last year and a half not to come in if you feel even remotely sick, and there's also a disclaimer when you log in at work that you click on to confirm you don't have any symptoms.

Anyway, to make a long story short, for at least the next several days I will be a department of one (since I'm the only one who wasn't exposed) while half my staff get to play test subjects on vaccine efficacy (one had Moderna, one had Pfizer) and the other half gets to play FAAFO what happens when you don't get vaccinated.
Update on this. Patient zero is having a really rough time this week. I feel bad for her, but at the same time...there's a free vaccine that she's been encouraged to get for over six months, and the company will even comp you for the time getting the shot and the day after, so you don't have to work if you're feeling bad from it. But she felt that the vaccine was worse than COVID.

But so far the other positive employee doesn't have any symptoms. I'm hoping that because everyone was wearing masks that she received a reduced viral load and will possibly have an asymptomatic infection, as she's older and has had health issues in the past, but it could be that she's still waiting for the symptoms to get started. (Her brother was on a tube for a month and almost died from it last year, but she still wouldn't get vaccinated.)

Otherwise, my two vaxxed employees both tested negative and are back in the office -- vaccines work, imagine that?

The stick is mightier than the carrot.

On Wednesday, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) announced a vaccine mandate for city workers. The news prompted a fresh — and predictable — round of hand-wringing about a potential mass exodus of public employees who would rather give up their jobs than get the jab.

“We’re going to lose half of our cops and half of our fire department if this goes through,” an elected official in Brooklyn fretted, “and then what?”

Spoiler alert: Gotham isn’t going to lose half its police officers and firefighters.
The experience of the nine months since vaccines became widely available is simple.

Carrots — benefits such as gift cards and giveaways and lotteries — sound great. Bribing people to take the vaccine — or to put it more politely, incentivizing them — sounds better than forcing them. But it hasn’t worked — at least not nearly well enough — and the audience on whom it might work has now been vaccinated.

What has produced results, and has the promise of doing much more to reduce the population of the unvaccinated, are mandates. They inevitably invite a game of chicken. People complain; they threaten to quit. Then, for the most part, they cave.

Corporate chieftains and elected officials need to call these bluffs, even if it requires taking on public employee unions and terminating a few hundred people here and there to drive home the point: Saying no has a price.

A peer-reviewed study published by the Journal of the American Medical Association shows that the state-run lotteries that doled out millions in prizes failed to coax people into getting vaccinated.

Nineteen states experimented with this approach, but researchers found “no statistically significant association” between the announcement of a lottery and the number of vaccinations……

The stick is mightier than the carrot.

On Wednesday, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) announced a vaccine mandate for city workers. The news prompted a fresh — and predictable — round of hand-wringing about a potential mass exodus of public employees who would rather give up their jobs than get the jab.

“We’re going to lose half of our cops and half of our fire department if this goes through,” an elected official in Brooklyn fretted, “and then what?”

Spoiler alert: Gotham isn’t going to lose half its police officers and firefighters.
The experience of the nine months since vaccines became widely available is simple.

Carrots — benefits such as gift cards and giveaways and lotteries — sound great. Bribing people to take the vaccine — or to put it more politely, incentivizing them — sounds better than forcing them. But it hasn’t worked — at least not nearly well enough — and the audience on whom it might work has now been vaccinated.

What has produced results, and has the promise of doing much more to reduce the population of the unvaccinated, are mandates. They inevitably invite a game of chicken. People complain; they threaten to quit. Then, for the most part, they cave.

Corporate chieftains and elected officials need to call these bluffs, even if it requires taking on public employee unions and terminating a few hundred people here and there to drive home the point: Saying no has a price.

A peer-reviewed study published by the Journal of the American Medical Association shows that the state-run lotteries that doled out millions in prizes failed to coax people into getting vaccinated.

Nineteen states experimented with this approach, but researchers found “no statistically significant association” between the announcement of a lottery and the number of vaccinations……

Does the article mention anything about the vaccinated who just want to take a stand against mandates?

I think Delta is making another round. I got it almost 3 weeks ago, my uncle just died from it Tuesday (unvaxxed) and another friend of mine in the Los Angeles area got it - unvaxxed but fortunately got a pretty mild case.

Maybe it's just people in my orbit but it just feels like it's going around again after things had seemingly calmed down a bit.
It's the same wave, just spread. It's in the mountains and west. With some Midwest.

I'm clueless...
Mercury?
It's a time when Mercury looks like it is moving backwards. Happens like 4 times a year for a few weeks. Astrology says it's a time for weirdness, misinformation, miscommunication, arguments. Mercury rules communication.

It was kind of a joke.

My girlfriend was telling me about something she saw on CNN a few months ago

That it was a huge mistake calling them mandates, they should have been called requirements

People see mandates as an order, something that are forced to comply with. A requirement isn't looked at the same way

If you work construction, you aren't mandated to wear a hard hat, you're required to

If you work in a warehouse you are required to be able to left a certain amount of weight, and if you can't then you can't do that job. You aren't being discriminated against, your freedoms aren't being trampled on, you didn't meet the requirement

Jobs already have education and/or experience requirements, many already have vaccine/immunization requirements

I thought it was just semantics and wouldn't have made a difference, but maybe there's something to it

I do think it's far too late for that now - the time for that was 6-7 months ago

Last edited:
My girlfriend was telling me about something she saw on CNN a few months ago

That it was a huge mistake calling them mandates, they should have been called requirements

People see mandates as an order, something that are forced to comply with. A requirement isn't looked at the same way

If you work construction, you aren't mandated to wear a hard hat, you're required to

If you work in a warehouse you are required to be able to left a certain amount of weight, and if you can't then you can't do that job. You aren't being discriminated against, your freedoms aren't being trampled on, you didn't meet the requirement

Jobs already have education and/or experience requirements, many already have vaccine/immunization requirements

I thought it was just semantics and wouldn't have made a difference, but maybe there's something to it

I do think it's far too late for that now - the time for that was 6-7 months ago
I don't think it would have made a difference tbh. It's hair-splitting, and with a lot of people who oppose vaccines, nuance isn't a part of their thinking.

In my wife's facility, the few unvaccinated people who haven't quit or gotten fired yet have started another round of infection.
A few breakthrough cases amongst the positives, but 80% of the positives are unvaccinated. And of course the vaxxed positives are asymptomatic.

This will never go away if people don't do the right thing. It's ridiculous. No one likes being told what to do, but the adults in the room realize that there's a greater good to be served by complying with the requirements and/or recommendations.

In my wife's facility, the few unvaccinated people who haven't quit or gotten fired yet have started another round of infection.
A few breakthrough cases amongst the positives, but 80% of the positives are unvaccinated. And of course the vaxxed positives are asymptomatic.

This will never go away if people don't do the right thing. It's ridiculous. No one likes being told what to do, but the adults in the room realize that there's a greater good to be served by complying with the requirements and/or recommendations.
I wish we could designate a state, a crappy one where nobody wants to live like Nebraska or Oklahoma, and move all the anti-vaxxers there and not let them leave the state and let the cards fall where they may.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom