Are you willing to get the Covid vaccine when offered? (24 Viewers)

Will you get the covid vaccine when offered?

• Yes

Votes: 278 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 106 27.9%

• Total voters

f7ba6ec17ac43ba4a249ebb932067d39.gif

Alright, I know we've all said the stuff coming out of Israel is kind of sketchy in terms of data, but they finally released numbers on the declines they were vaguely talking about this past weekend and it is too shocking not to at least bring up:

The pertinent, if oddly phrased, information:

Preliminary data from an analysis conducted by the Health Ministry shows 42% decrease in vaccine protection from infections and up to 60% (decrease) from severe illness among vaccinated

This just...doesn't match what we're seeing in the UK and other places with high levels of vaccination. I'm genuinely confounded by what to make of these numbers. If true, this is very bad news.

This just...doesn't match what we're seeing in the UK and other places with high levels of vaccination. I'm genuinely confounded by what to make of these numbers. If true, this is very bad news.
Something is just squirelly about Israeli information about COVID. I guess that's not a very scientific, open-minded approach to their information, but so be it.

If something confounding comes out of Israel, I want it corroborated by information from somewhere else. As of now -- that study and those numbers are outliers, as you pointed out. Still need more info to change consensus.

Something is just squirelly about Israeli information about COVID. I guess that's not a very scientific, open-minded approach to their information, but so be it.

If something confounding comes out of Israel, I want it corroborated by information from somewhere else. As of now -- that study and those numbers are outliers, as you pointed out. Still need more info to change consensus.

I guess the thing people are looking at now is space between doses. That Israel at three weeks between shots may be less potent than the UK stretching it out to like 12. In which case boosters would obviously be needed. And for the U.S., where we did four weeks, we would probably be in that same hypothetical boat.

But Israel isn't releasing raw data and their overall numbers are still comparatively low so it's all just speculation for now.

I guess the thing people are looking at now is space between doses. That Israel at three weeks between shots may be less potent than the UK stretching it out to like 12. In which case boosters would obviously be needed. And for the U.S., where we did four weeks, we would probably be in that same hypothetical boat.

But Israel isn't releasing raw data and their overall numbers are still comparatively low so it's all just speculation for now.

Interesting. My Pfizer doses were three weeks apart; 3/24 - 4/14.

Sadly I still know people refusing to get the vaccine. I’ve heard several excuses why,

It triggers the flu, or it is just another form of flu.

My doctor has the remedies in case I catch it.

My religion says it’s a sin.

and on, and on.
I'm doubtful, but maybe . . . just maybe, some of this info helps dispel those excuses. Worth it if it even helps 1 person.

Yeah, it's hard to know what to make of Israel's numbers. I'd like to see if data from other countries matches up.

I'm doubtful, but maybe . . . just maybe, some of this info helps dispel those excuses. Worth it if it even helps 1 person.

Just listened to this. It breaks down how the anti-vax system works.

There's potentially other factors as well. In addition to different approaches to vaccine dosing, there's variants - although I'd guess Israel is fairly good with genomic sequencing so in theory we'd know if a new variant was a factor - and there's also the potential impact of other restrictions.

There's the hypothesis that the initial dose of virus causing infection has a relationship to the severity of the resulting disease. It doesn't seem a stretch to suggest that it could also have a relationship to the effectiveness of the vaccine in preventing the disease (that is, where a vaccine response might prevent infection from a smaller initial viral dose, it might not be able to for a higher initial viral dose, i.e. bigger initial viral dose, relatively higher chance of infection).

And if that's the case, then other measures like masking, social distancing, and large-scale events, which can affect both whether individuals are exposed and the typical level of their exposure could affect the real-world efficacy of the vaccines.

That's hypothetical, but if that was the case, we'd see a drop in efficiency in the UK soon, since we've just made mask wearing and social distancing optional and opened up nightclubs...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom